Caribou Gear

What do you hate about YouTube hunting, shooting, outdoors sports videos?

For me, the following gets on my nerves:

1. all this whispering crap during deer hunts
Nothing infuriates me more than certain noises and sends my blood pressure through the roof! Whispering is one of them. I cant stand watching Born and Raised Outdoors anymore because of it. There always 50 minute videos, with 40 minutes of standing around whispering with eventually maybe a look at an elk at the end of the video.

I hate:

Whispering and annoyingly bad audio

Pathetic long shots for absolutely no reason other than saying you did it, which isn't impressive

Telling us what your favorite mountain house etc flavor is and non stop name dropping brands

Literally anything involving women with 50 pounds of makeup, lashes, and hair all done for hunting

The 10 minute crying and praying fest after a kill, acting like you would have died without getting this meat

Non stop talking about what an animal scored, what score is not good enough for your epic adventure etc.

I watch almost no hunting videos, but a buddy sent me one awhile back that made me shake my head. Guy shoots an elk with a rifle, not sure about the hit, so they leave him overnight. Next morning they go looking, and one of the guides/buddies finds the bull. They tell the shooter, and what does he do? Hustle over to see his bull, right? Wrong, he kneels down in the snow and starts falling apart in front of the camera.

I don't get it, you kill a bull and you don't want to go put hands on it?

I love seeing flat brimmers find success. some of the content online is certainly frustrating like the ultra long shots, passing quality animals in hopes of a “trophy” on alleged “public land”. I dislike the hunt recaps of people sitting there in an office telling their stories… but ya know, a lot of that crappy content is displayed by old folks and young cowboy kids and every demographic. I like the hush dudes, I haven’t seen a lot of content that makes me any madder than some of Randy’s, rinellas, Slockmaster, BnR you name it. I like seeing the chubby dude tear up when he’s with his kids and find success. I like that they’re my age and stay positive.. of course I don’t like that they have some crazy exclusive access and then say how hard or special of a hunt it was, but again, many content creators are guilty.

Point blank period: If I watch skateboarding and it gets me amped to skate, I watch UFC and get amped to brawl, why hate on watching hunting success to get amped for your own hunt?

1680987138663.gif

Who cares? Watch what you want to watch.

Maybe some YouTuber will make the .350 Legend legendary.

African video post mortems. Gad, those guys sit behind a silly posed animal and blab and blab. Yeah, we just watched the whole stalk and shoot. Why are replaying it again and again? Thankfully I can fast forward YouTube and skip the blabbering.

Listening to the guys whispering as honkers are coming to decoys is laughable. Those birds are making so much noise between themselves, they couldn't hear a brass band blaring in the blind.

And all that whooping and hollering and fist pumping after the animal is down. My African lodge owner's wife once asked me why I never show my teeth for the publicity poses. "I just ended the life of one of God's most beautiful creatures. Nothing to smile about. It's a game. I win, it loses. There is satisfaction ... but no reason to celebrate. The victory is enough."
20220827_131454.jpg20220823_161406.jpgBuck 2018.jpg
IMG_4106.jpgelk1c.jpg

Last edited:
1) All I want is to see someone shoot a forky mule deer buck
2) A lot of it has gotten kinda boring. Same videos over and over again. Wander around the woods, bugle your brains out, elk strolls over the ridge on the last day and it gets smoked.
3) A lot is unrealistic, at least for me. I saw a video, maybe Hushin, where the dude hunted like 19 days archery elk and finally killed one. Thats sweet, but if I get 5 days I'm lucky. That is one of the reasons I like Randy's videos. 5 days and that is it a lot of the time. That resonates with me.
4) I also like seeing more unsuccessful hunts. That also resonates with me!
5) Doesn't seem like a lot of them are having fun. Too intense and too much focus on killing something.

African video post mortems. Gad, those guys sit behind a silly posed animal and blab and blab. Yeah, we just watched the whole stalk and shoot. Why are replaying it again and again? Thankfully I can fast forward YouTube and skip the blabbering.

Listening to the guys whispering as honkers are coming to decoys is laughable. Those birds are making so much noise between themselves, they couldn't hear a brass band blaring in the blind.

1) All I want is to see someone shoot a forky mule deer buck
2) A lot of it has gotten kinda boring. Same videos over and over again. Wander around the woods, bugle your brains out, elk strolls over the ridge on the last day and it gets smoked.
3) A lot is unrealistic, at least for me. I saw a video, maybe Hushin, where the dude hunted like 19 days archery elk and finally killed one. Thats sweet, but if I get 5 days I'm lucky. That is one of the reasons I like Randy's videos. 5 days and that is it a lot of the time. That resonates with me.
4) I also like seeing more unsuccessful hunts. That also resonates with me!
5) Doesn't seem like a lot of them are having fun. Too intense and too much focus on killing something.
Agreeable statements. I've watched many videos where Randy was left empty handed to the point I was starting to think it was more of a backpacking show than a hunting one. But it goes to show the reality of modern general hunting and how hard it can actually be.

1. I wish hunting videos would show their stalk patterns so new people like me get an idea on how to go about hunting when the time comes.
2. The exaggerated excitement when it comes to killing an animal. I get it's payoff for a long and hard hunt, but I feel many videos stretch the drama for views.
3. The whispering 3 miles away from a stalk, then being the loudest thing for miles when stomping through terrain. Defeats the purpose of whispering right?
4. Like other people have talked about saying "smoked him" or other sayings. It's akin to yelling "get in the hole" in professional golf. Just stop.
5. People not giving the animal the respect and dignity it deserves. People posing with the animal while it's tongue is hanging out.
6.people putting more emphasis of the production of a video rather than the hunt itself.
7. The amount of money people have to spend on hunting can make a hunting video seem more like a 20+ minute advertisement.
8. Taking excessively long shots. 1000yd shots are not hunting but sport shooting animals. Long range shooting goes against what I believe "fair chase" is supposed to be.
9. Having large glassing groups to spot animals.
Again, I feel there's a point where this starts interfering with what fair chase is supposed to be. The animal should have just as much a chance at survival as people do of harvesting them.
10. Using electronic communication like radios or phones. Again fair chase.

I'm sure there's more, but as a hunting virgin and a first time poster here, these are my thoughts.
Well said and couldn’t agree with you more!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back