2024 dreams and plans

So many goals…

Get my 300 super dialed.

Upgrade my scope on my 6.5 and keep hammering

Kill two big spring toms, and at least one with my bow.

Kill my first spring bear.

Kill a pile of yotes.

Backpack a ton with my wife.

Kayak fish and camp like a som bitch.

Apply for some out of state archery elk permits, and draw one.

Draw an antelope tag to chase with my bro.

Help my buddy in MT do some ranch in’ to earn my brother and I’s mule deer access for the fall.

Kill a respectable speed goat.

Call in and kill my first archery bull.

Call in and kill a fall bear in WA.

Kill a mature WA mulie buck.

Kill a monster non-typical mulie in MT. Yes, these exist. Blessed to have the opportunity. A 200 plus inch hog was killed on the property this year. I have the picture, but have been told I can’t share it. Sorry…

Kill a mature bull with my 300

Kill another fall Tom for Thanksgiving dinner and brine and smoke him.

I have a great life.
Have you watched of Steve Hus' videos about local fishing?
I guess he could be a Randy competitor in a way so I won't post his URL.
North West Outdoor Adventures on Youtube.

Hoping we get more ice this year to get some time ice fishing. Then turkeys in IA plus will be first youth turkey hunts for 2 of my kids.

Chase more coyotes until it gets hot. And work with my new shorthair to get her tuned up for birds in fall.

Head to South Africa 2nd week of September with an uncle and good friend, 10 days there. Get back and pick up with Iowa youth deer season.

Archery here starts Oct 1, try to get out and a deer down before pheasant opener last Saturday of October.

Squeeze in as much other stuff as I can draw or have time for.

Wyoming lope, deer and elk
Colorado moose or bighorn
Northeast Missouri whitetail
Arkansas whitetail
Oklahoma hog hunt
North Texas sandhill crane………..etc,etc,etc…

Have you watched of Steve Hus' videos about local fishing?
I guess he could be a Randy competitor in a way so I won't post his URL.
North West Outdoor Adventures on Youtube.
I’ll check it out! I want to catch a huge carp from my kayak this year.

Locked in for another grouse trip to North Maine Woods in October.
We're putting in for Wy antelope but I'm certain we won't get draw in which case I'll use that time to do a tent camp trip in the eastern & western UP.
Dove hunt to Indiana.
Buy another Michigan elk point, waiting for retirement to apply.

If I get ahead enough with my financial plan I'll take a trip to South Dakota for pheasant the week of Thanksgiving. Never hunted South Dakota and have very limited experience with wild pheasant.
I've successfully talked my friend
Locked in for another grouse trip to North Maine Woods in October.
We're putting in for Wy antelope but I'm certain we won't get draw in which case I'll use that time to do a tent camp trip in the eastern & western UP.
Dove hunt to Indiana.
Buy another Michigan elk point, waiting for retirement to apply.

If I get ahead enough with my financial plan I'll take a trip to South Dakota for pheasant the week of Thanksgiving. Never hunted South Dakota and have very limited experience with wild pheasant.
If we don't draw Wyoming antelope we'll be going to the arrowhead region of Minnesota for a week or so grouse camping. This is a place I've long been wanting to go.

Hoping for a WY pronghorn tag
WY cow elk, maybe 2 depending on how other chips fall
Hope to pull an ES tag again in CO

Throwing darts at:
NM bull
WY bull
ID bull

Last edited:
Slight deviation. I’m going to role with some short term smart goals. I teach this to my students. It’s all about setting yourself up to build momentum.

Step 1. Choose a goal that is challenging, achievable, measurable and builds momentum toward another goal.

Organize Kim and I’s hobby room, and set up my reloading station. The room is a mess, but I have a few days over Cmas break, and it will lead me to dialing in my 300 wm.

Step 2. Set actions in place. These have to be concrete and observable.

I will work for a minimum of 2 hours this coming Thursday to the task.

Step 3. Accountability. You need to share the plan with at least 1 other person and keep them in the know.

I shared it with you.

Harvesting Goals 2024:

1. Harvest a Monarch, Imperial or non-typical Bull Elk. Last 3 of my personal pursuit of each size within a species. (cow, spike, 2 point, 3 point etc.)

2. Harvest a 160+ buck. Whitetail or Muley.

3. Harvest a 14” Antelope buck.

Wait for it……all in my home state of……Montana. Public land or Block Management only.

I'm not sure about everything, but below is what I'm currently thinking.

I'm going to draw an early season CO high country muley rifle tag. I've been waiting to draw this tag for 3 years because of the dates.

I'm seriously considering starting to hunt the unlimiteds in MT.

I'm planning on burning my points in AZ for late season elk.

I guess I'll see what else I draw.

Confirmed:
Jan Lion - Idaho
March - Red Stag, Argentina
May into mid-June - Spring Bear/turkey MT and ID
Sept - Archery Whitetail on my property in KY (Hopefully full velvet)
Oct - General Elk tag in Idaho
MT in the fall with an upland bird and cow tag in hand

Pending Draw:
Sept - General Elk, MT
Oct - PRonghorn - WY
Dec - Coues - AZ (should draw)
Several other draws across the west

Last edited:
My 2023 summer/fall was really blown up. Makes it hard to commit to plans in 2024, so a bit of a loose schedule:
Jan/Feb - Burbot fishing a couple days at least. And catch some mountain whitefish.
Spring/early summer - catch a 40" pike from kayak. Throw in a few bass too. Hunt some turkeys. Maybe get out for bear.
Summer - fly fishing Idaho. A guided float on the Yellowstone, have a deposit from 2023 that had to be cancelled.
Sept - archery elk in Idaho. Location will depend on tag received in July frenzy.
Oct - slim odds at rifle pronghorn in ID, MT or WY. If no pronghorn, buy extra B tag in Idaho.
Nov - Possibly MT deer. Otherwise mule deer and whitetail in Idaho.

If I draw an Emperor Goose permit then I will be going to Cold Bay and Nelson Lagoon AK in November.

If I don’t draw then it will be a road trip to the Northeast for Black Ducks and Common Eider.

Maybe this Spring a road trip to Georgia to complete my World Turkey Slam with an Eastern.

With any luck big game draws in CA and AZ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back