Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

How big must a bull or buck be to mount?

I don't have a size requirement for taxidermy. The one elk I have mounted is a prime example as most here wouldn't mount it. But, it was my first bull after many years of trying, so on the wall he goes. One thing I will say about elk shoulder mounts, if you are putting it in the books get it done with removable antlers. I did not and in my last house couldn't get him up there stairs to his intended place.

I think its about meaning more than score. I mounted a 120" muley because it was my first buck and I loved it so much. If it were me, I'd mount anything bigger than a spike that came out of SoDak. If you don't shoulder mount it, I'd certainly try to euro mount it.

I think its about meaning more than score. I mounted a 120" muley because it was my first buck and I loved it so much. If it were me, I'd mount anything bigger than a spike that came out of SoDak. If you don't shoulder mount it, I'd certainly try to euro mount it.
I decided to mount my bull this year from Bennett County/Oglala Sioux Tribe. It really wasn't that tough to decide as he is way bigger than other SD elk that I have lucked out on. I am lucky to be a tribal member where there are big prairie elk herds and tags for members.

Attachments

• 20201104_230551.jpg
    20201104_230551.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
Elk -380
Mule Deer - 220

Would never shoulder mount a pronghorn/goat/whitetail/moose

Sheep, depends on how old I am, next year Euro... 55+ shoulder mount.
Actually I think pronghorn make the most attractive shoulder mount of any North American game animal. Beautiful colouration contrasts nicely with jet black horns and those big protruding soft eyes.20200912_161525.jpg

It has been a refreshing change to read everyone's advice here.

I recently had this exact conversation with my (12 yr old) son as he smirked at a young/small deer that someone had mounted. My take on the matter - folks have "trophies" mounted for all kinds of reasons. Personally, I mount things that are "trophies" to me. I haven't killed many huge animals, but I have killed a few that are very special. Having the mount helps to keep the memory of the experience alive for me. And the experience is far more valuable than the animal on the wall.

Let me preface this...I grew up in a hunting home where antlers and taxidermy were not hung in the house. When I started hanging antler plaques in my home as an adult, my father actually began putting DIY skulls and antlers in his little office.

I only have 2 shoulder mounts in my home. Seems like, in my mind shoulder mounts are reserved for Firsts and Lasts

One is my first bow buck. A P&Y Blacktail that happens to be my largest CBD to date.
The other is my Tule Elk. A bull I killed with my bow and most likely the only Tule Elk I will ever kill.

There are 9 other Rocky Mtn. elk racks around the house and garage. As for elk antlers in the house, I am in 1 in-1 out territory.

I have a 14 ft tall wall in my 12x10 Nook off the kitchen. I backed all the drywall with 1 inch plywood in anticipation of that being my trophy wall. The side walls are where I would like to hang a real good Mule deer and Antelope someday. But that will be when I get one that I think...."I ain't gonna get one bigger than this..." No Numbers, just that feeling... Plus a cape that is extraordinary...

i think the better question is "how meaningful is this animal to you"? if you wanted to hunt moose your whole life and after 20 years you drew a tag and shot a small legal bull, you have every right to mount that animal and I hope you do. if it is your daughter's first deer and it has deep meaning for the both of you, who cares if it's only a 7 point

Big enough that you wanna look at it when you get home. I shoulder mounted a 153” mule deer, and I don’t regret it. It was from my first out of state hunt. It’s a beautiful rack. I’ve shot a bigger deer, and seen within range but out of season quite a few bigger deer. Most people wouldn’t mount a muley under 160”, and some wouldn’t mount one under 180”, but when I walk in the door and look at my 153” buck, it makes me happy. AND if that buck had been a 135”, I would probably have still mounted it, and it would probably still make me happy.

Last edited:
Good advice from previous poster. You can go euro for now and always change to shoulder mount later. It's why I ordered both the tanned cape and euro skull for my African kudu. It was for my daughter to do a showroom pedestal mount. In case the African taxidermist screwed up the cape (which they did), I would still have a euro for the wall. Unfortunately they screwed up the euro too. The nose was boiled to pieces and they stuck something on that was from a different species altogether ... and painted the whole thing to cover it up. Brother!

Unless he's a really big bull, taxidermists are often not much interested in buying capes. But they usually always have a selection available to purchase or can find one. Lots to pick from on line.

Though we are in the business, I have never been a big fan of fur and glass eyes in the home. Takes up too much room, difficult to move, high maintenance, and eventually they fade/crack and look like crap. A nice euro or cap mount keeps the memories alive just as well and a helluva lot easier to deal with. The top rack in this photo I shot in 1985 and the bottom was taken by my dad in 1955. Imagine what those shoulder mounts would look like today. View attachment 157125

1955 was a long time ago, and they probably used different techniques, chemicals, and materials for the forms. My dad has a whitetail and a pronghorn shoulder mounts that he had done in the late ‘80s or perhaps as late as ‘90, and they are both essentially pristine. The pronghorn has a broken ear tip that occurred when the taxidermist used to barrow it and take it to shows.

I mounted the first respectable 8 point whitetail, a full velvet archery 10 point whitetail, and my first muley a 4x4. This was all before marriage and kids and I plan to euro or skull cap the rest unless it’s a sheep or goat so I can go on more hunts.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back