How bad is it in Montana?

Western Traveler1

I went to a town meeting the other night regarding the Alice Creek Fire near us. USFS, DNRC, BLM, Local Sheriffs office to name a few in attendance. Lots of statistics but what really grabbed me was they track historically Highest Fire Risk and historically Lowest Moisture Level in our State.

We are currently at the highest risk of fire ever recorded with the lowest moisture level ever tracked...

I don't know the up to date statistics but this is a pretty moving video...
http://963theblaze.com/video-shows-...-soundtrack-from-disturbed/?trackback=fbshare

It must be bad because the sun was totally browned out by smoke in Kansas City Monday. They said it was smoke from Idaho and Montana.

I fear Montana is going to look a lot different by the time this is all over. My head knows that fire is natural here and actually improves things much of the time, for wildlife and the like. Many of my favorite places today were burned in 1910. Still, my heart hates to see forests go up in smoke and my lungs hate to breathe it. Careful out there.

Daybreak feels so different. That faint red dot is the sun. Like a zombie movie or something.

IMG_2360.jpg

It's bad. The Root is pretty much surrounded. Wouldn't be a bad thing to shut it all down till some rain. Scary dry out there, even up high. mtmuley

it's very, very dry in the Judith Basin, worst for heat and lack of moisture that any of us have ever seen.
Most of us residents here have put hunting on hold.
I understand those that have come a long way, and how difficult it is to change plans.
Just be very careful and avoid the dry grass with the vehicles.

I've found some locations where I can park on paved or gravel roads and hike in. Then no fires or sources of ignition while hunting to make sure and avoid any possible risk. However, the smoke is miserable and a 3 mile hike feels like an10 mile day in my lungs. If I weren't so hooked I'd completely hold off too...

Horrible what's going on in Mt. Smoke is thick here in northern Colorado. Winds are always changing.

I have never seen it this bad, even in 1988 when we had all the fires and FWP closed the first 2 weeks of archery season, it was not this bad.

What's crazy is that for how bad it is in terms of dryness and fuels, we have been fairly fortunate in terms of weather. If last week when everyday was a red flag warning, we had gotten lightning across the state, it would have been catastrophic. The big unkown is how long this fire season will last. I am hopeful looking at the long term forecast this morning.

Attachments

• forecast.jpg
    forecast.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 497
Silver lining, the thick smoke is knocking down expected high temps by over 10 degrees right now. The thick smoke is generally a sign that the fires are creeping around in the duff and cleaning out the understory, which is positive news for the forests. The hot running crown fires put the smoke up in the jet stream and are the not so positive fires for the forest, it's soils, and it's animals.

It must be bad because the sun was totally browned out by smoke in Kansas City Monday. They said it was smoke from Idaho and Montana.

I just moved from Kansas City to SW Montana. That's crazy the smoke has made it that far! I know it's been horrible here

What's crazy is that for how bad it is in terms of dryness and fuels, we have been fairly fortunate in terms of weather. If last week when everyday was a red flag warning, we had gotten lightning across the state, it would have been catastrophic. The big unkown is how long this fire season will last. I am hopeful looking at the long term forecast this morning.

Thursday and Friday of next week look good. I hope that forecast holds. After that the temps are supposed to return to normal with highs in the upper 60s instead of the 80s and 90s.

Would be nice if you Montanans kept your pollution to yourselves. Thanks for the thought though.

I hope it cools off. However, NWS forecasts beyond 7 days out mostly rely on historical averages. NOAA is more accurate for 1-3 months out. That forecast is for a 40% chance of above average temps in MT. AK is worse than that!
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back