Caribou Gear

My Elk hunt.

Firedude

For many years I have hunted with all my heart. I’ve enjoyed the outdoors to a healthy level. However this year I had decided to go all out. To become the best of the best. The…. Elite… Hunter. This journey would not be easy. I knew there would be sacrifices on the way. Here is my story.

Gear.
To become Elite one must first be outfitted for the task. I traveled to my nearby high end sporting supplies outlet in search of some new tools of the trade. I surmised that the best start would be investing in new camo. I selected a very high end brand that gives money to conservation and tried on several sizes to fit. Once selecting the correct size and pattern that would make me invisible to all manner of wildlife, radar, and satellite I inquired about the cost. I now know why they make you change back into your own pants before before they tell you. I would have been forced to purchase them due to damage in the rear. Not wanting to leave unsuccessful I bartered a deal. After emptying my wallet, getting change from my pickup, swiping a credit card, and discussing other options I was still short. Quick thinking resulted in me being the proud owner of a new high end sock! My wife seamed only slightly upset with the purchase once I told her, “Shree more paymentsh and thish shucker is all mine!” After all who hasn’t pulled a gold crown to purchase hunting gear!
Only being one warm foot into my journey I elected to try another sporting goods store. I knew this was the place as I was greeted at the entrance. I stated, “I’m here for your finest camo sir!” Tugging at his quaint blue vest he said, “hunting gear is between automotive and toys.” Knowledgeable staff! Arriving at the area directed to me I found the most amazing selection of synthetic, moisture wicking, form fitting apparel. They called them, “Sweats”. (Made in USA. I always check!) Luckily they sold waterproofing chemicals as well.
Now totally invisible to the legally blind I needed boots since mine were in a state of shambles. Pretty much the same experience as before led to the discovery and subsequent investment of camo duct tap and shoe goo.
I’m feeling ahead the pack already!

Tags.
The most important part of any Elite hunt is the Elite tag. I got my Fish and Game decoder ring in the mail and began deciphering the regulations. I sold plasma and applied for Bighorn and in Idaho. Antelope in Wyoming and Montana. Not wanting to skip the mortgage on my house for anything else I then looked through the General Season hunts. Anxiously waiting the results day by day until they arrived and then on day out of the blue my results came. I drew nothing! Why they send them personalized with laughing Emoji stickers and “You should know better by now” handwritten on the bottom I don’t know. But it’s nice to be noticed and remembered! To the General Tags we go! As luck would have it it was well withing my budget to harvest one trophy Squirrel out of state and Elk and Deer in in my home state! I was on my way to an Elite-ish elk hunt!

Getting in shape.
In continuing with my new goal of becoming Elite-ish. I walked into a gym to inquire about a membership. “I would like to get into better shape.” I said to the woman behind the counter. Raising one eyebrow she looked up and down me and replied, “You mean in shape?” “Round IS a shape...” I answered. “I’m looking to become a chiseled specimen of an elite hunter and this is my budget” After she stopped laughing and was able to breath again we discussed terms. I met with my personal trainer and all that was within my physical abilities and budget was a new technique called Scrubbing, Sweeping, and Mopping. And they PAY YOU for good results but yell at you like a drill sergeant if you under perform! Great motivation! I’ve been getting a lot of one on one yelling from my trainer the last few months. Who knew about this training regime!? It also pleases my wife when I workout at home! You can do it in any room! She must be noticing my slimming figure as I’m getting great returns at home after the sun goes down if you know what I mean! And with the pay from the gym I may pay off my sock by hunting season! My dreams of becoming a slightly higher than marginal hunter are becoming a reality!

The months dragged on but I maintained my goals of being an okay hunter. I studied maps of my new hunt area and found a sweet spot. If I parked discreetly off the highway nobody would even know where I was! I just had to time the ice sheets and wade the river then I climbed 3000 and hike 47 miles I would be in good Elk habitat. With tag numbers limited I probably would have no more than 3800 other hunters to contend with. What luck! Keen observation was soon to pay off! I was well on my way to becoming an okay-ish elk hunter. The season opened in a few weeks.

With plans made I traveled to my a few days before elk season. I parked my camper on a pull out along the road. I was fortunate to find a spot open. Other hunters were around. I spotted some of them around the fire. They were dressed in high end gear and retrieving beverages from expensive coolers in the back of trucks that cost more than my house. They were showing pictures of and talking about, “that big ol’ 380 bull” they got last year. I felt outclassed. Even with all my preparation and sock I was no match for them. I walked over to introduce myself. Maybe I could glean a thing or two from these Elites. As I started over I noticed a few raised eyebrows. This was going to be tough to get in with these guys. Thinking on all my knowledge of etiquette in such situations I started conversation the only way I knew how. “You guys want a beer?” I was welcomed with open arms! We talked about elk and hunting. They were really nice guys even after my beer ran out. They were very impressed with my wolf I harvested in the same area a few years ago. They asked about how to go about getting one and I gave as much advice as I could. Turns out they are just normal guys like you and me!

Opening day
I was going to stick to my plan then as it turns out Issac Newton was right about the whole "gravity" thing Sanity took over and I gave up after 1 mile. I was cold (except my left foot) and tired but in an ok location. As the sun rose I could hear an elk bugling not 300 yards away. I waited anxiously for the sun to come up. As the sun rose I saw him. A medium sized bull shining in the morning sun with cows and spikes all around. I shouldered my rifle. Shot. Heard an audible “Whack!” The bull stumbled a little. Then someone else shot twice. I heard a whack. Oh NO! I watched a spike stumble. Thank goodness… I shot 1 more time hitting my bull. The herd took off. I heard 3 more shots as they went over the hill. Wow.. But it is public land. I went to retrieve my bull thinking the worst. I got up to the blood trail and began trailing. I walked past a downed spike and gave a thumbs up to the guy that shot it. He was ecstatic! I came over the ridge to find a raghorn bull dead with 2 guys attending to it. “That’s not the bull I shot?” I thought to myself. Out of breathe I asked about it. They said, “We saw the herd and noticed the bull limping and saw blood. We assumed someone had already shot him so we shot this other bull out of the group. He went over there.” and pointed over the ridge. I crested the ridge and started tracking again. Shortly after I was rewarded with a nice bull. Hundreds of pounds of meat and a nice set of antlers for my trouble. Returning to camp that night I had a great conversation with the Elites next door. They got a bull and a raghorn and where loving every minute of it.

More power to you “Elite” guys out there like Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella. We look up to you guys and I wish I could be one. Until I get there one sock at a time I’ll happily toddle along marginally. I still have great respect for you guys and all you do for the rest of us to be able to keep hunting. You work hard to keep public lands public and plenty of animals for the rest of us. Your efforts are noticed and appreciated even by those of us that don’t pull the same weight. I love watching your videos and listening to your hunts. Your “How to” videos and podcasts have helped immensely and for a guy like me to harvest a bull on a general tag you must be doing something right. Keep them coming and big thanks to you from me! If the rest of us marginal guys throw a buck or two in the donation jars at booths of agencies they represent it will help. If we can we will try to buy from companies that donate to those programs too (even if it’s just a sock, ballcap, or gators) it all adds up in the end. If you can afford a whole set, I’m not going to lie, I’ve got nothing but jealousy for you honestly it’s money well spent. I actually have a PAIR of socks and good gators. They are the best investment I've made on hunting gear. Hopefully I’ll get a whole set eventually one piece at a time. I hope you enjoyed my story because I…. am…. an okay-ish elk hunter! :)

Last edited:
And I hope all your seasons were just as fun!

Last edited:
Great read, can you post some pics of the trophy squirrel too? Can’t wait too see next years post when you have a Right foot sock too, you will be walking with style back to camp with that 380”. Lol Congrats

Haha good read!
That squirrel have some big nuts?
Never seen an elk that surrendered due to being impressed with a guys gear.

Fantastic story! For an all text "elit-ish" post, I kept smiling and read along.

Really fun read. Thanks for sharing your story.

I will happily keep up the comic stories if you guys like them with Randy's permission since I don't know if he wants comedy on his page. There's always a lighter side to things. I didn't post pics because I wanted this bull to stay mine. Maybe weird but I kind of like this one being just mine to look at.

Last edited:
I will happily keep up the comic stories if you guys like them with Randy's permission since I don't know if he wants comedy on his page. There's always a lighter side to things. I didn't post pics because I wanted this bull to stay mine. Maybe weird but I kind of like this one being just mine to look at.
Ummmm...very un-elite dude. You need to get your followers up and NOT posting pics won't get you there!!

Yeah, I liked this one, too.
I literally rolled my eyes at the start of it, then realized you're not a douchebag as I kept reading. Congrats on the bull and thanks for the write up!

Enjoyed reading about your journey. Keep up the good work!

Great writeup. I do like to wear the good sock on one foot as I go up the mountain, then switch it to the other foot on the way down. I get more even wear out of the sock that way.

Congrats on a great season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back