Horseback Elk Hunting

Buckskin10

I’m probably getting ahead of myself, but I’m looking into hunting elk on horseback this upcoming fall. My problem is my horse looks dangerously close to an elk and I’m afraid he’s gonna get shot.
If anyone has any advice on how I can attach orange to him and have it on him 24/7 for a week and the different ways to do so, or how I can keep him with me in camp way out in the mountains, I would greatly appreciate it!

Orange halter, saddle pad, bags... if you're concerned.
We packed in multi day treks over and over and over in Bridger Teton Wilderness during hunt season never had an incident and no orange though I occasionally felt a scope was on me...

I have dyed the mane and tail orange. Dont paint orange on the horse as it clogs up the pores . When not riding, we always used an orange horse blanket Saddle blanket works, especially if you use a blanket and pad. You can always color the bridle, halter, but we didn't. If your not riding the horse use an orange blanket ( horse blanket ) they are easy to take on and off and to store

One fellow when we were hunting new mexico once had an orange blanket with black letters on both sides that said, dont shoot my horse

I too, have a buckskin horse. It does give me a bit of concern. I put some orange surveyor's tape hanging on the saddle, breast collar, etc. Also the rifle scabbard and rolled up saddle pannier are hunter orange. I might look into dying the tail and mane.

I use a orange scabbard, and put orange flagging tape on tail, halter and saddle. We typically unsaddle horses when we tie them up. Try to put horses in visible spot with orange around them. They also make an orange neck thing that clips around the horses neck.

People are indeed way more stupid than you think as mentioned above. This horse was most likely in a fence and not out in a wilderness or national forest acting as a pack animal.

I was going to make a suggestion or two but after looking at the original post I have a different question

does this happen a lot ? Someone joins, asks a question, gets some really good advise, but never responded or makes a second post --anywhere ?

I prefer to believe that he/she got busy or had an emergency and will be back, but was curious none the less , thanks

It happens all the time,I see the same person using the same "handle" on many different
Forums.One post with many questions, never to be seen again.Sorry April, I been cheatin'
on you with other forums.Ha!,Ha! 〽💥

As a person that doesn’t really like wearing hunter orange, I ALWAYS wear it on a horse. When we used to use horses more we didn’t do much else other than maybe a set of orange saddle bags on a few.
All the ideas above are good ones though. It’s amazing how stupid people are.
I put orange on my dogs often and neither resemble wolves or coyotes.

I know of a guy that shot “his own” Buckskin horse! Lots of orange and hoping that hunters are sure of their target. Never mind......just lots of orange! The second part of my comment was delusional! :unsure: memtb

I’m probably getting ahead of myself, but I’m looking into hunting elk on horseback this upcoming fall. My problem is my horse looks dangerously close to an elk and I’m afraid he’s gonna get shot.
If anyone has any advice on how I can attach orange to him and have it on him 24/7 for a week and the different ways to do so, or how I can keep him with me in camp way out in the mountains, I would greatly appreciate it!

I used a horse this year for the first time and between worrying about it getting shot (even though he is white) and it running away there was a lot on my mind. I bought some blaze orange fabric and put it over the saddle when I wasn't riding him. I also stretch bright orange construction tape around the trees when I tied him off while on foot. One important thing (I think) is to not only highline your horse, but also hobble him when you are not there. He wont go as far if he happens to some untied if he is hobbled. We had an outfitter lose a horse this year that "wandered" off.

Horse 1.pngHorse 3.png

My first Elk hunt in the early 90s. A buddy invited me to join he and his father and brother on an Archery elk hunt near Meeker CO. We rented horses to get us about 9 miles back and after arriving mid afternoon we set up camp on a beautiful knob that had a great glassing spot of the entire valley. Just before sunset we watched a couple of guys on horseback on the opposite rim a couple miles away. The next day found me easing down the maze of game trails through the Aspens about a mile from where we saw the riders the evening before. Remember, at this point this Georgia boy had still never seen an elk in the wild except from a couple of miles distant the evening before.

I was moving painfully slowly and silently along a wide game trail that looked like a highway compared to the faint deer trails I was used to back home. I can’t recall if I heard a noise or not, but I looked to my left and at 12 yards I saw standing broadside the back half of one of the horses we had seen the night before glistening in the sunlight through the Quakies. For a split second I remember thinking why in the world would somebody leave a horse unattended way up here. The next simultaneous thought was what in the world happened to that poor horses tail. At about that time the horse raised its head to display a crown of antlers. With my inexperience it had never occurred to me that I might actually slip within bow range of a bull elk. I spent the next 30 seconds fumbling trying to remove an arrow that was buried in a hip quiver somewhere behind me. Somehow I managed to get the arrow knocked, and just as I clipped the release on the string and began to draw back a cow that I had not noticed a few feet to the right of the bull exploded out of there taking the bull with her. I never did get another chance on an elk on my first and only elk hunt, but I have never forgotten that horse that turned into an elk right before my eyes.

My pup looks a lot like a fox. I’m always afraid someone is going to shoot her when I let her out to run. I need to get her some kind of vest.View attachment 124861
I made Gus’s, I used one of those super cheap vests, cut off the side panel, sowed cut the elastic on one side, reattached it to the same panel, and then made a little loop for his collar.

Took me 15min... and it was the first time I had ever touched a needle and thread.

2B4A59E6-7E93-4480-ACED-4B6D2B27FCD6.jpeg
My dogs always have orange on. Pretty much all times of the year. Some good suggestions above, more orange the better.

Back