Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hornady

lanetaxidermy

Hey guys, Trying to get some Superformance 7mm mag 162 gr SST shells but all I've been doing is running into dead ends!! Was wandering if anybody had ideas or suggestions where I might find some?? Getting low on what I have and I have a Wyoming elk hunt coming up and I would like to do some more shooting before I go. Thanks in advance Tom

Could get some federals with the partition bullet. I can find 'em everywhere and they straight perform!

I was just at cabelas in WV over the weekend and they had very little horady on the shelves. I'll keep an eye out for you. I did order 3 boxes of nosler trophy grade 7 mag with 140 gr accubonds today. They were $32 a box with $12 shipping from shooters pro shop. They are over runs? What ever that means. Anyone ever try over runs or blems?

bullets of any type are still in a major shortage out here in oregon,,,cant even get .22 shells,,,this shortage hasnt improved at all this summer.dont burn em all up on paper,better save em for the real critter.

I was just at cabelas in WV over the weekend and they had very little horady on the shelves. I'll keep an eye out for you. I did order 3 boxes of nosler trophy grade 7 mag with 140 gr accubonds today. They were $32 a box with $12 shipping from shooters pro shop. They are over runs? What ever that means. Anyone ever try over runs or blems?
Ammo no, but I do buy the over run/blem bullets from there and haven't had any issues.

Don't limit yourself to the Hornady sst. They are not a very durable elk bullet. Get a Partition, Accubond etc. if you can find some loaded ammo with it. I personally would rather have the Interlock bullet going after elk than I would the SST. It is just plain not a very durable bullet and better suited for deer.

Have you checked Cabela's? We stopped at the store in La Vista, Nebraska a couple weeks back and they had lots of rifle ammo. That changes on a daily basis, though, I am sure.

If you go to Hornady's website you will see a statement from their owner concerning the calibers that they are not producing for an unspecified time. Federal seems to be the best alternative.

I have bought "blems" before. I bought some Nosler Partitons form SPS and Hornady Interbond from midway. These are bullets for handloading that I got and not the loaded ammo. All a "blem" is that the bullet that maybe has some tarnish on it some where. They throw it in a pile as seconds. I dont understand the "over runs" though.

I personally am going to not use any ballistic tipped bullets for hunting as an SST out of a 270 about tore off the front should on the exit. Just a few strands of hide kept attached to the animal. I like the partition myself.

I have bought "blems" before. I bought some Nosler Partitons form SPS and Hornady Interbond from midway. These are bullets for handloading that I got and not the loaded ammo. All a "blem" is that the bullet that maybe has some tarnish on it some where. They throw it in a pile as seconds. I dont understand the "over runs" though.

I personally am going to not use any ballistic tipped bullets for hunting as an SST out of a 270 about tore off the front should on the exit. Just a few strands of hide kept attached to the animal. I like the partition myself.

Yep. My feelings exactly. I shot a small wt doe with a 150 gr.SST at 2650 fps out of a .308 and the bullet dynamited on a lung shot. I won't shoot them again. That poly tip makes them come apart. They may be fine for long range where velocities are low. A regular interlock is a better choice, but I also prefer the Partitions. I won't trust a bullet that comes apart even at low velocity.

SST's are very accurate but I've experienced the same thing with them coming apart and fragments in the meat. I'm going to try some bonded this year, even if I have to pay a little more. SST's kill good though, you just might find they do more damage in some instances....not all though.

SST out of 7mm on elk bad, nosler blem ammo good..... +1 accubond/partition

CCC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back