Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How do the 150gr, 7mm Sierra Tipped GameKing hold together?

Disclaimer - I have never shot a game animal with a Sierra bullet, but my understanding about the TGK is that like other "long-range hunting" bullets that are currently so fashionable, it's designed to expand at lower velocities than their standard counterparts.

Most stories I've heard about them fragmenting usually involve a close-range shot or someone shooting a relatively lightweight bullet out of a magnum or a PRC, or some setup sending the bullet at rather high velocity. I'd think that unless you're shooting out there past 400yds or so, your better off using these in fairly slower chamberings, .308 or -06 or something along those lines.

Disclaimer - I have never shot a game animal with a Sierra bullet, but my understanding about the TGK is that like other "long-range hunting" bullets that are currently so fashionable, it's designed to expand at lower velocities than their standard counterparts.

Most stories I've heard about them fragmenting usually involve a close-range shot or someone shooting a relatively lightweight bullet out of a magnum or a PRC, or some setup sending the bullet at rather high velocity. I'd think that unless you're shooting out there past 400yds or so, your better off using these in fairly slower chamberings, .308 or -06 or something along those lines.
It's a 150gr out of my Ruger 77 MKII, in 280 Rem.(22" barrel) at 2,873fps. (chrono'd)
So nothing to fast.
Now to just get a deer that isn't running to act as my terminal ballistics test subject. ;)

I tried some 165gn TGKs in my 280 AI yesterday. Pushing them with what remains of my Reloder 23. Accuracy was remarkably terrible. I was surprised.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back