Hornady 180 Grain Interlock 30-06? Performance?

emrah1028

I have another thread going on 165gr Partitions, but I wanted to start a new one on the Hornady 180gr Interlock spire point for 30-06. For a "non-premium" bullet, how does it stack up?

Looking for real world results such as expansion, penetration, etc. Not so much load data.

Also, between this and the 165gr Partition, which would you choose and why? I realize they are different weights.

Thanks,

Emrah

I've had excellent results with interlocks in several different calibers and bullet weights. In both terms of accuracy and killing results. I tend to prefer the SST, which is basically an interlock with a polymer tip. For the value, they are hard to beat.

Last edited:
All I use in my reloading for my .243, 25-06, and 30-06s is the Hornady Interlock with 100, 117, and 150 grainers, respectively, with absolutely beautiful results for accuracy and performance in all of them. I don't care for their SST, as the one year I used them in my 30-06 for deer and elk they expanded way too fast doing way too much damage on a mulie buck and blowing up on a rib of a cow elk and almost costing me that animal. That's when I went strictly to their BTSPs and SPs. As far as your question between the 165 and 180s, I think it would just depend on which one your rifle liked best. Most data shows the 30-06 is best with the 165 grainers and that should be all you need for an animal the size of an elk, moose, or caribou. I believe Hornady still makes both 165 and 180s in the Interlock and you may want to try either to see what your rifle does with them.

Last edited:
Cool.

See, this whole line of questioning regarding the 180's (as well as my other thread with 165gr. Partitions/TTSXs) stems from my batch of loaded 180gr. Interlocks. I've got a bunch of 180's loaded over 52.5gr. of IMR4530 that shot really good in my old rifle, but are a tad too long in my newer Savage. The bullet hits the rifling, making it difficult to close the bolt. Not to mention the spike in pressures I'm sure it's generating.

I'm debating whether to just seat the bullet a little deeper (I'm not worried about pressure with it being seated a little deeper). If I went with the 165's, the bullet length (and OAL) would not be a problem.

Alternatively, I have a pile of 150gr. Interlocks I haven't yet loaded. That might be an option as well.

Emrah

The 180's are great medicine for elk in the 06. Standard calibers don't always need premium bullets unless you're on the ragged edge of velocity and pressure.

I shoot 165's in my 06 and wouldn't feel under-gunned for any critter south of grizz.

Cool.

See, this whole line of questioning regarding the 180's (as well as my other thread with 165gr. Partitions/TTSXs) stems from my batch of loaded 180gr. Interlocks. I've got a bunch of 180's loaded over 52.5gr. of IMR4530 that shot really good in my old rifle, but are a tad too long in my newer Savage. The bullet hits the rifling, making it difficult to close the bolt. Not to mention the spike in pressures I'm sure it's generating.

I'm debating whether to just seat the bullet a little deeper (I'm not worried about pressure with it being seated a little deeper). If I went with the 165's, the bullet length (and OAL) would not be a problem.

Alternatively, I have a pile of 150gr. Interlocks I haven't yet loaded. That might be an option as well.

Emrah

Can I assume that you full length resized the ones you're trying to put into your Savage if they were previously fired in your other rifle? If that is the case, I'd seat a few a little deeper to see what they'll do in the Savage since my Hornady book shows your max with that powder is 54.4 grains. Some people new to reloading don't realize that if you're going to shoot casings in different rifles you should be doing a full length resize, whereas if they are only going through one rifle you can just do a neck or partial resize quite a few times before a casing again needs full resizing. The number of times will depend on the particular rifle you're using.

I have taken two bull moose and 7 of my cariou with my Savage 110 and Hornady 180 grain inter loks. The non premium -premium bullet.With the non magnum - magnum 30-06.

Yes, I did full length size. I normally neck size only, even on my lever action. Much longer brass life. But since I switch rifles I full length sized this time. I also chambered an unfired case (pulled the bullet and powder) with no problems. It's definitely the bullet length. When I chamver one then extract it, I can see the scratches on the bullet from where it contacted.

I'm now thinking of loading those 150s just to see how they shoot. .Everyone raves about 4064 for that bullet weight. Never used that powder.

Emrah

I have been loading the Interlock bullets in .243, 7mm and .308 for years. The 165 is great deer stuff from a .308 and the 180 is just more of the same. I believe that at moderate velocity, they are excellent bullets in .30 cal rifles.

Yes, I did full length size. I normally neck size only, even on my lever action. Much longer brass life. But since I switch rifles I full length sized this time. I also chambered an unfired case (pulled the bullet and powder) with no problems. It's definitely the bullet length. When I chamver one then extract it, I can see the scratches on the bullet from where it contacted.

I'm now thinking of loading those 150s just to see how they shoot. .Everyone raves about 4064 for that bullet weight. Never used that powder.

Emrah

Okay, that's good that you went that route to insure what the problem is. I'm using IMR 4350 for my 25-06 and 30-06s, but went with IMR 4064 for my .243 Sako, as it was showing as the best load by Hornady for that caliber in their tests.

I shoot 165gr interlocks out of my 06, and haven't had any complaints on game up to elk. my brother shoots 180gr out of his 300 win mag, as well as the 165's and they perform well on a number of elk and deer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back