Home Sweet Texas Draw

I've been in the TX draw for about 10 years now. I have a total of over 25 points in 5 categories, and have never been drawn until this year. Then, to top it off, they drew me for two hunts that are going on at the same time. Go figure. So I have to choose one and the other points get wiped out. LOL

The results (or lack thereof) on the TX draw is a clear indication of two things IMO - 1) just how many people we have in TX now, and 2) just how little public hunting land we have available. The latter will never catch up with the former, so the draws are only going to get harder. Well, until the hunter numbers start to significantly decline - which is a whole other problem.
Dang man thats some poor draw luck! Sorry to hear that. What two did you get drawn for this year?

As an out-of-stater, have drawn Aoudad, alligator and turkey in Texas. The application booklet is a bit difficult to sort through especially when a new location is added so no stats for draw nor harvest success but I just keep a coin handy. Texas is awesome for a lot of reasons but dang it most everything on those hunts is trying to jab, sting or bite you!!

My favorite picture from the Aoudad (technically Exotic) hunt years ago.

E6D2C1E7-8213-4F50-AA91-65D97477D4B7.jpeg

Dang man thats some poor draw luck! Sorry to hear that. What two did you get drawn for this year?
Gov't Canyon and Bastrop SP. I just paid for both of them with the idea that I'll start at Gov. Canyon and if I don't like what I'm seeing, I'll go to Bastrop the next day or 2nd 2 days. I'm going to have to call the hunt coordinators and explain the problem, and maybe they will help me work out a solution. I'm not desperate to hunt either place. Just figured they would be fun hunts in case I don't get drawn for the mule deer tag. Never would have thought the system would draw me for two places at the same time! They really need to fix that. It's a waste of points.

As an out-of-stater, have drawn Aoudad, alligator and turkey in Texas. The application booklet is a bit difficult to sort through especially when a new location is added so no stats for draw nor harvest success but I just keep a coin handy. Texas is awesome for a lot of reasons but dang it most everything on those hunts is trying to jab, sting or bite you!!

My favorite picture from the Aoudad (technically Exotic) hunt years ago.

View attachment 155216
pretty sweet shot!

I felt that way for about the last 9 years. Annual donation is what I kept saying. At least it was to a good cause.

Agree completely. I have been in for a few years now, so simple mathematical probability favors me at some point. And, even if not, I do not mind contributing to keep Texas' limited public hunting opportunities open and well managed.

Gov't Canyon and Bastrop SP. I just paid for both of them with the idea that I'll start at Gov. Canyon and if I don't like what I'm seeing, I'll go to Bastrop the next day or 2nd 2 days. I'm going to have to call the hunt coordinators and explain the problem, and maybe they will help me work out a solution. I'm not desperate to hunt either place. Just figured they would be fun hunts in case I don't get drawn for the mule deer tag. Never would have thought the system would draw me for two places at the same time! They really need to fix that. It's a waste of points.
@jjubran I watched your Big Bend hunt and a few others just a few weeks ago. Looked like a great time in a beautiful location.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your future videos!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feed back! I've got some footage of a pronghorn hunt and an alligator hunt that need to go up but I'm the middle of a remodel and moving so..........

I felt that way for about the last 9 years. Annual donation is what I kept saying. At least it was to a good cause.
I have been applying for the last 17 years. Different hunt categories mostly in west Texas and the hill country. I've only been drawn twice (deer & javelina).

I still apply every year. Like you said, its for a god cause and not expensive at all with some great opportunities.

Happy hunting!

I have been applying for the last 17 years. Different hunt categories mostly in west Texas and the hill country. I've only been drawn twice (deer & javelina).

I still apply every year. Like you said, its for a god cause and not expensive at all with some great opportunities.

Happy hunting!

Ditto for the applications. I’ve been in the TX draw system since I was a young kid. I’ve drawn Javelina once as a youth and twice as an adult. Haven’t drawn anything else yet. If they published the average number of points held by an applicant I think people would be depressed. It’s almost certainly well into the double digits.

I’ve drawn as many out of state hunts in a single-year, as I have totaled in close to 25yrs in TX. :(

Ditto for the applications. I’ve been in the TX draw system since I was a young kid. I’ve drawn Javelina once as a youth and twice as an adult. Haven’t drawn anything else yet. If they published the average number of points held by an applicant I think people would be depressed. It’s almost certainly well into the double digits.

I’ve drawn as many out of state hunts in a single-year, as I have totaled in close to 25yrs in TX. :(
I get drawn for at lease 1 hunt just about every year over the past 11 years...just random luck...:(

I get drawn for at lease 1 hunt just about every year over the past 11 years...just random luck...:(
I have none of that "luck" of which you speak. LOL

Didn't get drawn for mule deer again this year. However they did draw me for two whitetail hunts AT THE SAME TIME... :rolleyes: Guaranteeing I'll zero out points in both categories but only be able to hunt one area. That's just great.

Well, I plan to enjoy at least one hunt. 10 years to be drawn, then they draw me for two hunts on the same dates. That's my luck in a nutshell.

Oof. I thought it had gotten worse. That’s a lot worse for me and my 4 points. No reason to continue really.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back