Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Home Sweet Texas Draw

jjubran

Pulled two very fun tags this year down here in TX. One is archery white-tail and Nilgai antelope in waaaaaaay south texas near the Mexico border. Been there twice before and had some great success. Second is a Texas hill country rifle tag on a NWR very low density but again, have had great success there. Lots of folks talk about TX in a negative light when it come to hunting, but don't forget there are still plenty of public opportunities and people getting after it, hard, on public land down here! Cheers!Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.02 AM.png www.SmileOutside.com

When is your Nilgai and whitetail hunt?. I drew both Teniente and Laguna Atascosa. Unfortunately they overlap but will be hunting Nov 19-24.

When is your Nilgai and whitetail hunt?. I drew both Teniente and Laguna Atascosa. Unfortunately they overlap but will be hunting Nov 19-24.
I have the hunt prior to yours at Laguna Atascosa. Have you hunted there before? If not...if the weather is warm there are chiggers like no tomorrow.

I have the hunt prior to yours at Laguna Atascosa. Have you hunted there before? If not...if the weather is warm there are chiggers like no tomorrow.

Will be a first time for me down there. I hear permethrin spray is a good way to go to fight the chiggers and ticks.

I'll have to give you a hunt recap, snap a few pics of the board as the days progress. It's crazy just how long of a drive it is to get down there but excitement level is 12/10!

Will be a first time for me down there. I hear permethrin spray is a good way to go to fight the chiggers and ticks.

I'll have to give you a hunt recap, snap a few pics of the board as the days progress. It's crazy just how long of a drive it is to get down there but excitement level is 12/10!
permethrin is a good one, looking forward to hearing how it goes, I'll be sure to let you know as well!

@jjubran I watched your Big Bend hunt and a few others just a few weeks ago. Looked like a great time in a beautiful location.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your future videos!

@jjubran great rutting action. Cool area. I've hunted nearby for audad. Once you hunt that country you have to go back
Oh man, you aren't kidding. It was pretty spectacular to experience that rut action and that country!!! I'll have to go back out there. Would love to find a way to do an Aoudad hunt one day.

Based on the way my applications have gone, I am glad to hear there are actually folks drawing these tags. It was starting to seem like just a good laugh for the folks at TPWD. Congrats and good luck.

Based on the way my applications have gone, I am glad to hear there are actually folks drawing these tags. It was starting to seem like just a good laugh for the folks at TPWD. Congrats and good luck.
Don't get discouraged man, I've been in the Texas draw for 12 years now. I've drawn about half those years and mostly in recent years. Points build and your odds improve, hang in there. Also don't neglect the other public land that isn't on a draw. I have really good success out there as well. Happy to point you in the right direction if you want a push. I'm not sure if goHunt has info on TX draw but if it does, then you may want to look into that. I haven't used it but @Big Fin swears by it.

Don't get discouraged man, I've been in the Texas draw for 12 years now. I've drawn about half those years and mostly in recent years. Points build and your odds improve, hang in there. Also don't neglect the other public land that isn't on a draw. I have really good success out there as well. Happy to point you in the right direction if you want a push. I'm not sure if goHunt has info on TX draw but if it does, then you may want to look into that. I haven't used it but @Big Fin swears by it.
I've been in the TX draw for about 10 years now. I have a total of over 25 points in 5 categories, and have never been drawn until this year. Then, to top it off, they drew me for two hunts that are going on at the same time. Go figure. So I have to choose one and the other points get wiped out. LOL

The results (or lack thereof) on the TX draw is a clear indication of two things IMO - 1) just how many people we have in TX now, and 2) just how little public hunting land we have available. The latter will never catch up with the former, so the draws are only going to get harder. Well, until the hunter numbers start to significantly decline - which is a whole other problem.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back