Yeti GOBOX Collection

Home is Under Contract - Window Repair Question

Ovis

My house is under contract as of last week. Quick skinny on my home. I purchased it as a fixer upper...it had great bones just needed some TLC so I completely gutted it and dumped $15K into it, not counting all of my labor. The home inspection was yesterday and in the contract I agreed to pay up to $500 in repair cost.

So the inspection had some minor write ups, but the doozie was when nine double paned windows were written up for the lack of argon. Now I have never purchased windows before, but I am guessing this replacement is likely somewhere in the ballpark of $5K.

My thoughts are to tell the would-be buyer to get bent. I'm almost certain that the amount of energy saved with new windows would be negligible at best and would probably take somewhere around 20 years or so to recoup the costs associated with such replacement. I'm also thinking that if the buyer wants a new house he needs to take his butt down the road to the new subdivision.

There is a lot of charm and appeal to this house that u wouldn't find in a new home. So I am at the top of the market on my asking price. I'm seeing this an attempt for the buyer to get me to come off thousands more than what I have already agreed to in the counter offer.

What are your thoughts on the window replacement?

Last edited:
From what I have heard, windows are the worst return for energy savings. I think your 20 year estimate is pretty close.

I would tell him to go get stuffed.

You would probably be closer to 3500-4000 dollars for argon filled window and paying someone to replace them.(average size windows) Tell them they can buy the windows and get the tax rebate which would be roughly 30% (if they are argon filled) I would counter at $1000.00 repair allowance. That way they can pony up the rest and get the rebate to offset the amount if they really feel that the replacement is that important.

depends on how bad you want to sell. Windows that are drafty can raise utility cost for sure, but depends on the climate. Hell, i just put the shrink with hair dryer film on every year and can live with that. I DO NOTICE a difference for sure in the cold coming from the windows with that stuff on, but then again my windows are not that great.
your call... market is rough for sellers

Windows ain't that expensive, just don't buy from one of the Window and Siding sales companies.

Go spend a few minutes at your local "real" lumber yard (not Home Depot) and get a quote on the windows (take your measurements). Then go to Home Depot and get a quote and a labour quote.

Counter with one of those two numbers....

Check to see if Obama has a tax credit on new energy efficient windows!

Argon is largely a gimmick. After the window looses 60% of the gas in between the panes, the benefit is over. Almost all windows loose just enough seal in 5 to 10 years to loose that much gas. So you never get any better at recouping the extra cost past that point in service. Low E glass on the other hand works for the life of the glass.
There's a tax rebate of like $1900 to improve the insulation qualities of your home. I believe that windows qualify.

There isn't any draft coming through the windows and I cannot personally see where argon filled glass is going to provide an exorbitant amount of insulation.

I like the idea of the tax rebate. I also have the ticket from the window company who replaced 1/3 of the windows in question when I purchased the home 4 years ago. I'll check out the local lumber store and the big box store as well as give the window company a call.

I've already came down $4k on the price of the home for these ppl. Not including the $500 towards repairs...another $500 and I'm really starting to lose interest. My "motivation" to sell this house wasn't what it was since I am no longer expected to relocate at this time. There was a time though when the job had me pegged to get out of here...

Gerald...I don't think there are two windows alike. Various sizes and to be honest, I haven't measured them out yet.

Last edited:
I worked for a couple years as a glass tech. Pay my gas money and feed me beer and we'll get em whipped out in a weekend. Guess that doesn't really answer your question though.

If they're already decent windows, look into getting just the IG units replaced. Should save you quite a bit, especially on labor.

Do your building codes really require argon filled windows ??? If not - tell them to blow.

Are you selling it as an energy star home or something similar ?? If not, tell them to blow again.

Then remind them that Obama's tax credit could help bail them out if they want new windows.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
Pre-Bust answer: pack sand Mr. Buyer!

Post- Bust answer: I meet you halfway (or better) to get this deal done.

I work for one of the biggest glass factories in the US in not the world Call this number 608-588-7009 they should be able to answer most your questions about argon filled glass,Lo E glass and many other questions.If not they can for sure point you in the right direction.We make glass for anderson,jeld wen,velux,crestline and many more.

Also I put in 11 new windows last year they are jeld wen argon filled and I am very happy with them.I bought them at menards for probably about $125.00 a piece I had 3 that were special order and they were about $200.00 each.Unless you have really odd sized windows I dont think you will have $5000.00 dollars wrapped up in them.

If you really don't need to sell the home, I'd tell them to forget it !!If you need to unload it, then it makes sense to meet in the middle.I can't see how thats a required window on your home.Get all the imfo on the windows you put in from the window company and have them compare the savings against argon filled windows.Most home inspectors don't really know squat about codes.
My guess is they want more off the house and won't ever put in the windows.Get the engery statement from your window company.If you flip a house again, learn window replacement.Its one of the easier jobs to do, and most fixer uppers need it done.And, like was said earlier, don't buy from window companies.They are usually double what you can get them from elsewhere.

do you want to sell it or not?
Houses are a dime a dozen now days.

I had an offer of 240K 1 1/2 years ago on one of mine. I thought it was worth 250.
Now it's worth 140K. I showed them :hump:

Take the money. Charm and appeal doesn't mean @#$% to anybody but you.

Last edited:
Received the TRR (Repair Request) from the buyer today. The issue with the windows has nothing to do with the argon insulation. They failed the thermal test which just means they are prone to condensation. 1 out of 9 actually has condensation. I'll replace that one, the others they can cover on their own. Thanks for the advice guys...much appreciated.

WapitiBob...I think your a real charmer ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back