Holy $#!#, I'm Tired.

I could’ve shot 12 mother effing mature bulls today on public land under a 100 yards without even trying.

Yet we spent 7 hours watching 100’s and 100s of cows on private land and worked our asses to make it happen eventually.

But this kept happening

7457D59E-4FA4-4965-8BE0-73C40F61DA24.jpeg

Last edited:
I could’ve shot 12 mother edging mature hills today on public land under a 100 yards without even trying.

Yet we spent 7 hours watching 100’s and 100s of cows on private land and worked our asses to make it happen eventually.

But this kept happening

View attachment 260649
That's one of the best parts about cow hunting, is seeing all of the bulls.

About a 12.75 hour hunt. We didn’t bring enough water or food for that.

Getting this cow out was type 2 fun at it’s finest. While my partner was taking his sled pulls shifts I was eating snow to try regain some hydration. We were both calorically on fumes and had been for hours. The snow was deep. Shot opportunity wasn’t had until 10 minutes before end of shooting light.

Are we idiots? Did we vastly underestimate what would be required to kill elk glassed roughly 1.25 miles away in the amount of snow we had? Are we badasses?

I submit, all of the above

Last edited:
About a 12.75 hour hunt. We didn’t bring enough water or food for that.

Getting this cow out was type 2 at it’s finest. While my partner was taking his sled pulls shifts I was eating snow to try regain some hydration.

Are we idiots? Did we vastly underestimate what would be required to kill elk glassed roughly 1.25 miles away in the amount of snow we had? Are we badasses?

I submit, all of the above
Fine line between dumbass and badass - but the type 2 fun is worth it.

Is wind a factor? Crazy that animals are all around you in a relatively flat plane.

It was. But the elk we were after, in front of us, were a little too far away and a little directionally off completely being down wind. But we had no choice but to approach from upwind. The bulls we kept running into either snuck up on us from up wind or we’d run into them being perpendicular to the wind

Congrats, great thread, great recap of the hunts and glad you got that hunting time in during a chaotic time in your life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back