Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Holy $#!#, I'm Tired.

Awesome! Congrats on your punched cow tag! And powering through all the things that could have kept you home!

boy i just feel lucky. been quite a year.

couldn't have possibly asked for more. was able to hunt eight days this season with the full support of my wife with an infant at home ranging from almost 2 months old to a almost 4 months old.

loaded up on meat. today, back home, recouping from friday's hunt, back to being a full time wiggle worm attendant and loving every minute of it, with a little bit of processing in between.

IMG-1106.jpg

thanks for reading/following along everybody. hopefully many more hunting adventures to come starting in just a short 8.5 months.

Last edited:
still pulling some content out of my phone and from my friends phone.

this bachelor group of 10 bulls kept messing us up as we were trying to hustle further to our right with a keen hunch that the hundreds of elk were now far up ahead of them and to their left on public land. it was some 20 or 30 minutes after this, barely in the nick of time with shooting light, that these bulls fell behind a ridge allowing us to sneak up under 400 yards from the rest of the elk.

all that snow between us and them ranged from 2-3 feet. sometimes you could float on the frozen crust. more often that not you punched through with every step. that was about 50-60% of everything we had to hike through.

IMG_3923_Trim_AdobeExpress.gif

in the end, why did all those 100's of cow and spikes come off private land?

trespassers. there are reasons we know as a matter of fact they are trespassers that i won't disclose.

not only did they ruin a shot opportunity for me about 1 hour before this on a small breakaway group that we stalked for 1.5 hours as they slowly grazed towards and onto public they also made my success possible by simultaneously pushing the main herd back to public after picking a cow out of it themselves.

i shot my cow not 80 yards from we sat all morning and early afternoon watching the whole herd. if only we had stayed put we likely wouldn't have had to cut it so close on light.

Last edited:
still pulling some content out of my phone and from my friends phone.

this bachelor group of 10 bulls kept messing us up as we were trying to hustle further to our right with a keen hunch that the hundreds of elk were now far up ahead of them and to their left on public land. it was some 20 or 30 minutes after this, barely in the nick of time with shooting light, that these bulls fell behind a ridge allowing us to sneak up under 400 yards from the rest of the elk.

all that snow between us and them ranged from 2-3 feet. sometimes you could float on the frozen crust. more often that not you punched through with every step. that was about 50-60% of everything we had to hike through.

View attachment 260993

in the end, why did all those 100's of cow and spikes come off private land?

trespassers. there are reasons we know as a matter of fact they are trespassers that i won't disclose.

not only did they ruin a shot opportunity for me about 1 hour before this on a small breakaway group that we stalked for 1.5 hours as they slowly grazed towards and onto public they also made my success possible by simultaneously pushing the main herd back to public after picking a cow out of it themselves.

i shot my cow not 80 yards from we sat all morning and early afternoon watching the whole herd. if only we had stayed put we likely wouldn't have had to cut it so close on light.
Congrats my friend. Looks cold!

I love looking back at pictures/videos from hunts in the days/weeks after. Even better to have a buddy that was documenting it with you.

Even years after. Boy it’s fun having that archive at your finger trips

I should mention, that was actually my first elk.

Took 6 seasons to drop an elk from the day I went on my first big game hunt.

Next year, I’ll get that first bull on wyoming general.

Thanks! Do I get some special retroactive 2022 talkie awards??
I didn’t finish the talkies this year. Apparently stupid made-up awards are too much for some people to handle.🤷🏻‍♀️

Didn’t realize that was your first elk! Nice job, and way to stick with it.

All the ones I’ve ever been on have been Type 2 fun, fwiw 😁

This was a great story and a blast to follow!! Congrats all the way around!! Thanks for sharing it. Lots of great comments have already been made about life changing with kiddos. You’ll make some adjustments and it will be fine. Enjoy the ride!

How's the sleep @TOGIE ?

baby is sleeping incredibly. really incredibly.

he was born mid/late september and honestly we haven't had to get up for him at all after putting him to bed since like mid/late november.

we've been on a consistent 7:30/7:45 bedtime and he sleeps till 7 am without a single issue for a long time now, it's amazing.

i've had some good runs of sleep since then, but, especially in the last month, i'm starting to fall back into being my good old self: a crappy awful miserable sleeper that has too many issues sleeping soundly and staying asleep to function half the time.

i feel like i've gathered you're kinda the same in that regards yeah?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back