Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

History Found In the Field

dude that is an awesome find! you've never had an interest in going back? I'd love to see that!

To tell you the truth I doubt I could find it again, probably the reason it remained unmolested for so long. I was navigating by compass, really no landmarks out there it all looks the same.

Mudder your story reminded me of an old Dave Stamey Song...Desert Winds

Last January in New Mexico, I found this button barely poking through the gravel in the bottom of a steep, narrow canyon.
5ThY0vYdL3QbssRfZwTFgLlZ7epGXLde515Rx2ajIGhDat6stV4Gze-PDoYGHTah4bCttvto5z_coKL14hGMRXVEchFO99vwG6FzLcyu87C_IGVMySGgVvoGBuZJkHjO8aH1BtxH8aWh2O5P4Pfhf90PzTUa4e4cVIbVIqYyl-9RDjM073LxrYC86E9blPo7Wpxe9Nho102GobnmkaBJkuKRY4Tz8imcGZkaAAsENoB8R6QhPUpJk_bvYMCI8KScp2kkcb4JwhRtehlPRG5WXtAj13obbnOeBiUBbAF8EKJQ4tm-3OmJ4DRgzloM6145_-UENRiD69sGkVic5Q9_HdTIDTRXy0xZNnmL8wuXor5l0x6d-wtftdfai6vqL2GSVSEvZEQibfBhbr5B1iPiFeY-cWgiMCONnDT6t20iPPiHGSscAkMi1A9IcHCgcgZMWJ_sp-jeYkKtqi-YbGAjTrL7LSzWbTJOIw-6EKP77wfF7lMVt-7rx2xbv5dssJ0FIJbA2JvvJypvGBE0PBI3rU6ds18_5APT74zvx2d1Bu1pbiBhUDZL23FgUBdhKyrpko4V8uw-xNc3OIAth3S8-dD46y-Xk_zJ4ePvdx3VbOz41babWsGBpwnXbE0e_cCY31Wa9Kkbnz8LD6o_Xs4ODCg6d-pQp2-e_DniFnwn7QHK58wwq5HK0VM=w802-h887-no

There's a really cool old steam shovel sunk in a bog near Nederland, Colorado...can't find my dang pic of it
Saw some old farming or mining equipment in the Breaks. Can't find pics either. It's amazing people could get some of that stuff where they did. mtmuley

I've seen placer mining water distribution rock walls in the Trinity alps wilderness. Some amazing rock work but far from "untrammeled by Man"

I run into a lot of old homesteads, farming equipment, mining settlements/operations and the like. There are a lot of petroglyphs in NV as well. One of my favorite mountain ranges has some ancient camp sites that you can see where the fires were kept. I don't give its location out.
Central NV
20160716_175057.jpg
Sheepherder's homestead. It has miniature stables near the house.
image000000(1).jpg
Wells Fargo stagecoach stables.
0804181100.jpg

While we were packing out a bull that Gerald M shot out in the breaks a few years ago, he found these carved into a sandstone face on a little shaded bench in a slot canyon.

IMG_1819.jpg

Not too far from where his bull fell, we found a bunch of dinosaur bones.

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

Dinosaur track in SW Utah.

DSC09947.jpg

Wasn't a hunt but the Cabins on Mono Pass on the Yosemite border are pretty neat to look at.

399386_4251283809024_893658393_n.jpg

Mono Pass Cabins

The Mono Pass miners’ cabins are a series of shelters at the head of Bloody Canyon just off the Mono Pass trail on the eastern boundary of Yosemite National Park. They consist of five log structures erected about 1879 for employee housing by the Great Sierra Consolidated Silver Mining Company, which owned the Golden Crown and Ella Bloss claims in the area. Constructed of white bark pine logs, they exhibited V-shaped corner notching and wedge-shaped chinking. Sod from a nearby meadow once covered their log roofs.

A one-story, one-room structure, ten by twelve feet, surrounds a shaft lined with vertical logs that is now filled with water. The four cabins stand about 100 feet away, strung in a row across the crest of the rise. Three are small, one-story, one-room buildings, each with door and adjacent window. One larger cabin has a log annex. At least three other shafts exist in the area, one below the cabins and near the lake that is open and log lined, and two others that are filled in. Their sturdy construction and isolation have helped preserve them.

Another small, deteriorated cabin exists near Mono Pass, measuring about ten feet square. The one-story, one-room log structure contained only one opening, a doorway. It was made with round, peeled logs laid in alternating tiers and joined with a V-notch joint at the ends. The log roof has fallen in and parts of the walls have toppled. Its early history is unknown, although a picture of the cabin appears in a 1909 photograph. It was probably built by a miner working at the Golden Crown or Ella Bloss mines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back