Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Himalayan Snowcock

bullbugle307

Have any of you all ever hunted Himalayan Snowcock in Nevada?

If so, how was it?

Background: I stumbled across some videos last year of Himalayan Snowcock hunts in the Ruby Mountains. The area looks amazing. I've been thinking of applying in Nevada for big game in the next few years, and I've been looking at more conventional bird hunting opportunities there as well.

I'm attracted to the challenge and unique nature of the snowcock hunt. But I'm also wary of committing a fair amount of time and effort to a hunt where I can't (or perhaps shouldn't) take the dogs. I'm real curious to see what others who have done the hunt think about it.

So you want to chase, Snowcock, huh? It's incredibly difficult. It's been called the hardest hunt in North America, which I think is legitimate. I'd recommend no dog. If you decide to go after it, don't think about having other tags in your pocket. If you do decide to go, PM me. I'll be down there again this fall.

I did a 3 day hunt for them a few years back with a pard that has shot over 1/2 doz now. He's got a very good dog, but it stays on home on this hunt. It's a neat experience and if plane ticket prices stay in the toilet and I'd like to give it a go again.

Thanks for the info guys. I won't be able to make it happen in 2020 unless I win the lottery. But I'm looking pretty seriously at taking a week off for this hunt in 2021.

I'm assuming Id lose one day on either end of that week to travel. Is it safe to assume that a guy could be in a good place to start looking for birds after one day of hiking in, or should a person assume getting to the birds on foot would be a multi day affair?

Thanks for the info guys. I won't be able to make it happen in 2020 unless I win the lottery. But I'm looking pretty seriously at taking a week off for this hunt in 2021.

I'm assuming Id lose one day on either end of that week to travel. Is it safe to assume that a guy could be in a good place to start looking for birds after one day of hiking in, or should a person assume getting to the birds on foot would be a multi day affair?

If you do post the story, this has always been a bucket list hunt for me.

So you want to chase, Snowcock, huh? It's incredibly difficult. It's been called the hardest hunt in North America, which I think is legitimate. I'd recommend no dog. If you decide to go after it, don't think about having other tags in your pocket. If you do decide to go, PM me. I'll be down there again this fall.

Hard to find? Hard to see? Hard to get close to? Just curious as to what makes it so difficult. I didn't know this bird existed until I read this thread and got on Google

Hard to find? Hard to see? Hard to get close to? Just curious as to what makes it so difficult. I didn't know this bird existed until I read this thread and got on Google
Dont take the dog.
They live between 8-10,000' in steep, rocky, cliffy- is that a word?- it's spot and stalk type of hunting, you're not flushing them.
They're hard to find and hard to get to.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Best way of locating them is to listen for their call and then try to get above it and find them.

From NV 2016 Report:
For the 2016 snowcock hunting season, 92 questionnaires were received from 114 known permits issued (81% return rate). Of the 92 questionnaires received, 35 indicated that they did not hunt, leaving 57 hunters who reported spending time in the field. No hunter effort was reported for Hunt Unit 103 and only 11 hunter-days were reported for Hunt Unit 101. Fifty-two hunter-days were reported for Hunt Unit 102. Ten birds were reported as being harvested by six separate hunters, with four additional birds reported as wounding loss. Of the birds harvested, all were taken in unit 102. Hunters reported seeing 528 snowcock during 63 hunter-days. The number of birds observed per hunter day was down from last year’s observations, but still above average. Past reported snowcock harvest has ranged between 2 and 23 birds annually and has averaged approximately 8 birds per year since 1980. The catch per unit of effort for the 2016 season was similar to the 2015 season

Is it safe to assume that a guy could be in a good place to start looking for birds after one day of hiking in, or should a person assume getting to the birds on foot would be a multi day affair?
That largely depends on the hunter. Someone who is in good shape and is a experienced in in the mountains could certainly get to where they are at in a day. I've listened to a couple of good podcasts about this subject. I bow hunted deer not too far from where a couple of them hunted, and getting in there in one day was very feasible.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Best way of locating them is to listen for their call and then try to get above it and find them.

From NV 2016 Report:
For the 2016 snowcock hunting season, 92 questionnaires were received from 114 known permits issued (81% return rate). Of the 92 questionnaires received, 35 indicated that they did not hunt, leaving 57 hunters who reported spending time in the field. No hunter effort was reported for Hunt Unit 103 and only 11 hunter-days were reported for Hunt Unit 101. Fifty-two hunter-days were reported for Hunt Unit 102. Ten birds were reported as being harvested by six separate hunters, with four additional birds reported as wounding loss. Of the birds harvested, all were taken in unit 102. Hunters reported seeing 528 snowcock during 63 hunter-days. The number of birds observed per hunter day was down from last year’s observations, but still above average. Past reported snowcock harvest has ranged between 2 and 23 birds annually and has averaged approximately 8 birds per year since 1980. The catch per unit of effort for the 2016 season was similar to the 2015 season

I had no idea the harvest was that low.
It would make a great mount.

The hardest hunt in North America.........

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2
It doesn't take a day to get to where they are. We had lunch and beers in Elko before heading in and still made it to camp by dark. Of the ones we saw on my trip, had we shot them they would not have been recoverable. Just another aspect of the hunt to keep in mind.

I searched Himalayan snowcock report and found some others as well. They are listed in the NDOW small game report.

I hunted the Rubies for quite a few years. Island Lake, Lamoille Lake, Liberty Pass areas for deer. Have been into goats, but have never seen a snowcock.

I know they are there, but it is a damn challenge to get them.

There are several HuntTalk threads on snowcock that have been ruined by the photobucket issue.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back