Highwood mountains

1whohunts

So with all of the EHD reports in central Montana I haven't heard much about that area. Does anyone know if it affected that area? Has anyone killed any whitetail or muleys in that area this season or even seen any deer period?

I archery hunted the Highwoods for elk in September and saw very few deer. We were back in muley country and saw fewer than 10 in 3 days. Did see some on private ground, driving in and out, both whitetails and muleys, but lower numbers than years past. However, I understand the low muley numbers had to do with some really rough, snowy, cold springs. Both fawn loss and migration where the deer moved out of the mountains and just didn't come back in any significant numbers. Not sure how much EHD had hit things.

I live at the base of the Highwoods. We got slammed by EHD. Lots of dead whitetails along the creeks. It didn't get them all, but it definitely took out a bunch of deer. I would rate the deer hunting on public land in the Highwoods for both mulies and whitetails as poor at best. If you have access to some of the lower country on private there is some pretty good muley hunting, but access is tough to come by.

I live at the base of the Highwoods. We got slammed by EHD. Lots of dead whitetails along the creeks. It didn't get them all, but it definitely took out a bunch of deer. I would rate the deer hunting on public land in the Highwoods for both mulies and whitetails as poor at best. If you have access to some of the lower country on private there is some pretty good muley hunting, but access is tough to come by.

What he said

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back