High Alpine lakes Montana

Years ago my dad hauled our family up that road in an old Dodge Ramcharger. After bouncing our way up to Long Lake, Dad stopped to check the dipstick. The frame got so warped on the jarring drive that he couldn’t get the hood to open! Mom walked out.
I think the devo papers would of been waiting in Cooke if that was my folks. Your mom's a trooper!

Has anyone been to the Hell Roaring Plateau trailhead ? Looks like a nice scenic drive in close proximity to some lakes.

Heard Hellroaring is open. Haven't been up there yet but I'm making it a point to do so.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We’re going head out this evening and camp somewhere near Red Lodge. Get up early and do some hiking/fishing/camping around Hellroaring. Then Beartooth Highway and park on the way home on Sunday. Will post some pictures.

It's not the SW, but you can go to the Little Belts, take the road up over Yogo Peak, hit the Kings Hill Road and then hike up and into Rhoda Lake. Come down Jefferson Ridge to Kings Hill and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, I had to go look that one up after reading this. Pretty gnarly switchbacks. Not sure the Toyota ATRAC would make those corners, might need lockers.

The ATRAC works great in mud and snow, but I think you’re right. Two people died there a few years ago when the brakes went out on their side by side.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back