Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

High Alpine lakes Montana

802flyfish

My wife just picked up a new 4 Runner and we’re hoping to put it to use this weekend. We’re located in the Gallatin Valley. Can any recommend a high alpine lake in the Tobacco, Beartooths or Crazies with decent fishing and good car camping ?

It's a bit of a drive for you, but worth the hike in and you can camp nearby. Best of all, there are very hungry grayling up there: Fuse Lake on Skalkaho Pass.

Cliff and Wade. Absolutely gorgeous and good fishing. Stole a screenshot from internet since I dont have any pics on my phone of it. Less than 2 hours from Bozeman.
Screenshot_20200714-120944_Google.jpg

Aufwucks Lake by Pinnacle Mountain. Drive to Cooke City then up Daisy Pass to the trailhead on the north side. Hike 11 miles to north. Fish. Take picture of any mountain goats you see. Oh, the fishing is not much to write home about as is some underfed Cutthroat but you will experience a scenic drive over the pass (plenty of snow still) and the hike is scenic as well. But, take lots of goat pictures. Don't pet the grizzlies. Or the wolves. You da man.

South Meadow Creek Lake. I've never been but have seen pictures, looks beautiful.
Believe me ... she will not want to drive her new vehicle up the rocky steep, boulder laden road to South Meadow Lake.

Cliff or Wade Lake are a better choice for a new vehicle. Be prepared to please her by washing the road grime off upon your return. :D

South Meadow Creek Lake. I've never been but have seen pictures, looks beautiful.

You do not want to drive a new 4 runner to south meadow lake! It’s a boulder filled road more suited for a four wheeler or side by side. Sureshot lakes up north meadow are easier to get to in a truck or SUV.

You do not want to drive a new 4 runner to south meadow lake! It’s a boulder filled road more suited for a four wheeler or side by side. Sureshot lakes up north meadow are easier to get to in a truck or SUV.

I've had friends take their lifted Tacomas and 4runners up there.

OP should also let us know if the 4runner is stock or not because @Southern Elk is right. There are some places you do not want to take trucks around here lol.

Man I love that army green. Wish it would have been an option when I was getting my Tacoma, probably better off though I don't feel the need to baby the silver paint the same way.

He wants to test it out, its a mediocre spot to try... haha Twin lakes is a better test but bring a high lift jack, and the trail might take those nerf bars off for you.

When I was a teen I had a SR5 pickup that I took to both places a number of times, with little trouble. I wouldn't take a FS pickup up to either one though. Jeep or smaller SUV sure. Twin lakes trail sucks , but easy on an ATV. Not sure how bad the roads are now though. One trip I picked up a couple about half way to South Meadow lake, they parked their subie at the Missouri mine turn off, and rode in the back... at the sidehill creek crossing they had to shift body weight to get 3 of 4 tires to touch.

Fishing is (was) better at Twin Lakes. Bring a float tube.

I've had friends take their lifted Tacomas and 4runners up there.

OP should also let us know if the 4runner is stock or not because @Southern Elk is right. There are some places you do not want to take trucks around here lol.

That new 4 runner could make it up there no doubt. I just wouldn’t want to face the wrath of my wife, if I scratched or dented her new ride.

I’d say take it up the Goose Lake road out of Cooke City. Shake the dust off the suspension and see what that 4 Runner can do.
Years ago my dad hauled our family up that road in an old Dodge Ramcharger. After bouncing our way up to Long Lake, Dad stopped to check the dipstick. The frame got so warped on the jarring drive that he couldn’t get the hood to open! Mom walked out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back