Here we go again.

It doesn’t offend me, I just don’t need to see a video of it. Kind of like fat people having sex.
I get it. Just have a hard time how putting bullet through lungs is ok, spear through lungs bad for some people. Whether it be on video or wherever

Nearly every musk ox hunt I've ever watched involved the animals bunching up in a defensive formation while the hunters casually walk up to the herd. The only challenge is waiting for your target bull to move into a clear shooting position away from the rest of the herd. With an animal like that a spear seems like the only sporting option.

The spear head is definitely going to have a larger cutting diameter than any arrow broadhead. So this isn't a problem with the lethality of the weapon. It can't be a problem with range either. Spear throwing is inherently less accurate than archery which is inherently less accurate than riflery, as a result we adjust our expectations of effective range based on the weapon used. Hunting with a spear is no different, you just have to be closer than other weapon choices.

We call ourselves sportsmen for a reason, we have placed voluntary restrictions on the way we do things in order to limit our impact on the resource. Many of these restrictions seem very arbitrary upon inspection. Choosing a spear as a way to restrict the activity makes it more sporting than archery. No different than choosing a longbow instead of a modern compound or a sidelock muzzleloader instead of modern rifle. We also restrict ourselves with legal shooting hours, bag limits, caliber restrictions, fly-in wait times, etc.

Often an argument arises that trophy hunting is bad but meat hunting is ok. The problem I have with that reasoning is that true subsistence meat hunters don't care about how they kill an animal or how long it is wounded before finally dying. Early hunters ran them off of cliffs, and herded them into narrow canyons while the rest of the hunting party rained arrows, rocks and spears down on them. If you are truly after the meat as a necessity, then you don't care how you get it. Anti hunters don't realize that what they would prefer is our modern idea of a sportsman. A hunter who seeks to kill cleanly and utilizes all of the meat.

Part of me thinks that a spear video would be more offensive than other hunting videos but the other part knows that Antis will find a a reason to hate any hunting content. If we use rifles we are impotent men trying to be tough guys by picking on defenseless animals; if we use bows we are inflicted unnecessary pain and protracted death on innocent animals. There is no winning with those people.

I'm willing to bet that if I filmed myself killing a bear with my bare hands and teeth, then eating every bite and making a coat from the hide, there would still be a large number of antis that would find something to complain about.

I agree, killing is killing.

What came to mind when I saw it was,
  • why is there at least one other spear and why is it bent?
  • why is the musk ox just standing there letting a person just walk up to it? Has it been chased for awhile and worn out or is it as stupid as a Hereford in the barnyard just waiting to die? In either case, lets just call it killing. Maybe I am way off base and missed the incredible stalk.
  • I would love to know what the previous 10 minutes of tape looked like.

Maybe the guy just wanted to make the spearing record books?

Segueing here, but makes me think of the guy that shoots a treed cat with a muzzle loader, pistol or bow. Sure, you killed it with short range equipment, but it was in a f'ing tree with a few dogs below. Nothing wrong with treeing cats and killing them, but if you want to impress me, climb up there with a 2x4.

Yikes, I better go grab a Snickers.

I agree, killing is killing.

What came to mind when I saw it was,
  • why is there at least one other spear and why is it bent?
  • why is the musk ox just standing there letting a person just walk up to it? Has it been chased for awhile and worn out or is it as stupid as a Hereford in the barnyard just waiting to die? In either case, lets just call it killing. Maybe I am way off base and missed the incredible stalk.
  • I would love to know what the previous 10 minutes of tape looked like.

Maybe the guy just wanted to make the spearing record books?

Segueing here, but makes me think of the guy that shoots a treed cat with a muzzle loader, pistol or bow. Sure, you killed it with short range equipment, but it was in a f'ing tree with a few dogs below. Nothing wrong with treeing cats and killing them, but if you want to impress me, climb up there with a 2x4.

Yikes, I better go grab a Snickers.
What kind of 2x4?

bullet #2, they are really that stupid. Muskox went extinct in Alaska in the 1800s? Not sure why, could have been disease, overhunting, environmental, stupidity (most likely), etc. The ones currently hunted here were transplants from Greenland, I believe.

You can go to Mekoryuk about any time of the year and you can find a set of "B&C" horns getting chewed on by the local dogs in town.

I don't care if people hunt them and kill them, to each their own. It's just not for me.

@idelkslayer nailed it.

Being disliked by the "anti's" are a way of life with us, since we hunt --- Polar Bear, Muskox, Seal, Walrus, Whale --:cool:

You would think some of the feminist groups would at least admit to liking "Whale Beer " ;)

I had to look that up :ROFLMAO: I knew, cowboy caviar, rocky mountain oysters, and a couple of others, but had not heard of Whale Beer. Kind of redefines some saying's that refer to courage;)

as far as hunting them, I am with Bambistew, I will pass. The video: It did not bother me. Posting it on Facebook does not help the hunting industry in my opinion, but he was probably proud of what he had done, and where he lives, he is not real concerned with any anti groups showing up to harass him.

Dead animal photos, kill shots, gore = political suicide for hunters. In the West, this stuff is a direct, political threat to the future of hunting simply because by department rule, and/or executive order, the feds can restrict/limit/end hunting on federal land - usfs and BLM. See the scenario below ...

Edited by Big Fin - Rob, if you want to promote your own website, go use your own platforms for such promotion. Posting links to your own website is a violation of the rules you agreed to when you signed up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead animal photos, kill shots, gore = political suicide for hunters. In the West, this stuff is a direct, political threat to the future of hunting simply because by department rule, and/or executive order, the feds can restrict/limit/end hunting on federal land - usfs and BLM. See the scenario below ...

Edit - Link removed by Big Fin.
Your utopia paints a scary picture of how ugly humans can be when swinging that political axe.

Last edited by a moderator:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back