Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Herd Conditions with Harsh Weather

BucksnDucks

Trying to get some perspective on the current weather conditions and if it's having a heavy impact on big game herds in the Rockies. It was mid 60s here, yesterday I mowed the lawn and trimmed trees. Might take the boat out today. Like I said trying to get some perspective on how bad this Artic chill is.

This latest cold snap is the only really significant weather we've had and its already warming up.

Unless we get some prolonged severe weather, a few day cold snap, at least here in Wyoming isnt going to be a big deal.

Where I normally hunt cow elk in December, its almost always iffy getting to that spot with a chained 4 wheel drive, and usually takes tracks to get there. Could have driven grandma's oldsmo-buick there to hunt elk this year.

Been mild here. COLD last week with high in the negative range, but for only a week

Bigger worry than cold is drought

I've heard it has been pretty mild up to now. When do fawns usually start dropping out there
As far as winter kill goes the worry is last spring's fawns.

It has been an easy winter until this week, and this week was not too bad really. Didn't get too cold and snow was still not a ton.

In SE Mt the drought of this past summer has had more of a negative impact than winter so far. Winter not withstanding this last week has been easy to take. Biggest issue is deer that didn't have access to irrigated crops did not enter winter in that good of shape.

Winter has been mild this year in Idaho. IDFG conducted aerial surveys in January and counted extremely high mule deer fawn numbers. Also, IDFG is proposing to eliminate antlerless deer harvest in most of Eastern Idaho, including youth hunts. If mild winters continue and IDFG follows through, 5 year forecast in Idaho could be great.

Lots of snow here, for our area. Hasn't been clear ground since Dec, last time out snowshoeing, deer & turkeys were having a hard time getting through. We had w few inches of wet snow in between the fluff & now a couple of weeks closer to zero. Browse line starting to show mainly cedar.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back