Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hello from Western PA

BigZees

Hi all. Names Brian. I live roughly 30 miles east of Pittsburgh, along the edge of the Appalachians. I grew up at the end of a ridge, on 22 acres of ground with a stream running down the center of it. A much younger me, chased deer, turkeys, pheasants, cottontails, coyotes, squirrels, doves, and groundhogs all over the surrounding farmlands. Took my first whitetail doe at the ripe old age of 12, with a Bear recurve. Spent almost the next 2 years working on farms and doing odd jobs to raise the whopping $175 to buy my dream rifle. A 30/30 Marlin. Well almost had enough, dad chipped in and I had a new rifle in my hands that year. First buck was a 1/2 rack and I remember dad being so proud of me. Not to mention you couldn't have wiped the smile off of my face with a bulldozer. I have been hooked since! :)

The creek provided me with hours of fun, from the minnows, dace, and horned chubs which I used on fishing excursions, to the damselflies and water striders that fell to my trusty Daisy BB gun. Many a trophy dragonfly fell to that Daisy as well.

My father started me shooting when I was a young lad. He had been a state police officer and a marksman. He used to travel to shoots all over. I inherited from him a High Standard 22 match pistol, and a beautiful Anschutz 22 rifle. I love weapons. Shoot as often as I can and money allows. Did I mention I have a shooting range. Well actually I step off of my porch to my range. Been told it's cheating... :D

I am at the young age of 53 now. Feel pretty good. Entered my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament at 51 thanks to my young handsome son. I had 4 children. My oldest daughter passed this January due to cancer. My other 3 keep me quite busy. They have blessed us with 4 grand children. That 30/30 I bought when I was 14. Each of my children killed their first deer with it. It has become a tradition.

BTW, the missus I call SWMBO, pronounced "swimbo" (She Who Must Be Obeyed).

I have been dreaming of doing a western elk hunt my entire life. I have a strapping young son, and my best friend who will gladly join me in the adventure. If all goes well 2018 will be the year I finally get to see the Rockies up close. I have a year to prepare. Going to to do a DIY hunt. Plan on camping, as Uncle Sam taught me to be proficient at it. Also taught me how to dig foxholes, but that is one skill set I hopefully will not have to use anytime soon.

Reason I am here. Randy. He has truly inspired me. I have been watching him hunt for a long time. He has this perseverance, persistence, (SWMBO calls it being stubborn) that I admire. He also gives back to the hunting community. That is very special in a day and age where self absorption and ignorance are the norm.

Time to cut this novel short. Good luck everyone on upcoming hunts this season. Be careful. If you are in my neighborhood and need help dragging one out, or get good and stuck, do not hesitate to drop me a line. I'll help where I can.

Brian

Really glad I joined. Found an old friend I have not talked to in years. Small world. Lots of good people here. Thanks for having me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back