New here from Down Under.

Welcome, glad you’re here. Tell us about the hunting, the gun laws, and how you as a hunter navigate the laws.
That's a lot to write about but here is a snap shot:
Plenty of "game" to shoot but they will not let you shoot it. Bird hunting is almost outlawed with only three states maintaining game bird seasons. It looks like they will end game bird hunting (duck and quail) in my state this year (it's cruel they say). Deer hunting only has seasons in two maybe three states but they are pretty much regarded as varmint. In my state so long as you have a game license you can hunt them year round. Some states you can hunt on public land most you can not. Everything else rabbits, hares, foxes, wild dogs, camels, donkeys, buffalo is regarded as varmint. Kangaroos, emus, parrots and crocs are protected and so are snakes.
For sport shooting/hunting you can not use/have semi-auto rifles or shotguns nor pump-action shotguns. You got to have a license to shoot any gun including air-gun and every gun has to be registered. Some speeding offenses will stop you from getting a gun and so can your ex-wife. Currently in one state they want to limit the number of guns you can have to five and some calibers are banned also. It's a nightmare you don't want. Do not fall for "reasonable" gun laws.
I really hate talking about gun laws it's depressing.

Welcome to the forum MrCarbine. While we (here in NZ) are behind you in these gun law changes we are slowing heading in the same direction.

On a more positive note, if you're looking to head over to the US to hunt I'm happy to help with advice if it might help.

Welcome to the forum MrCarbine. While we (here in NZ) are behind you in these gun law changes we are slowing heading in the same direction.

On a more positive note, if you're looking to head over to the US to hunt I'm happy to help with advice if it might help.
Thanks, I have been to the U.S. twice. If family conditions allow I might go again but I am happy enough here for now. I shoot a lot of tin cans and some ferals too. ;)

M9422_01m.jpg

That's a lot to write about but here is a snap shot:
Plenty of "game" to shoot but they will not let you shoot it. Bird hunting is almost outlawed with only three states maintaining game bird seasons. It looks like they will end game bird hunting (duck and quail) in my state this year (it's cruel they say). Deer hunting only has seasons in two maybe three states but they are pretty much regarded as varmint. In my state so long as you have a game license you can hunt them year round. Some states you can hunt on public land most you can not. Everything else rabbits, hares, foxes, wild dogs, camels, donkeys, buffalo is regarded as varmint. Kangaroos, emus, parrots and crocs are protected and so are snakes.
For sport shooting/hunting you can not use/have semi-auto rifles or shotguns nor pump-action shotguns. You got to have a license to shoot any gun including air-gun and every gun has to be registered. Some speeding offenses will stop you from getting a gun and so can your ex-wife. Currently in one state they want to limit the number of guns you can have to five and some calibers are banned also. It's a nightmare you don't want. Do not fall for "reasonable" gun laws.
I really hate talking about gun laws it's depressing.
Thank you! Those laws are definitely a nightmare. And you’re 100% right about “reasonable” gun laws. There are none.

Back