Hello from Southern CA

Zak

Hello, I'm Zak from Southern CA and I've been into hunting for about 2-3 years now. I'm currently 31 and at this point I can see myself pursuing this as a long-term and hopefully lifetime hobby since my passion for it hasn't diminished at all. I'm still looking forward to my first big game hunt and jumped into the points game in 7 states.

I've been browsing these forums for a while and hope to contribute to the interesting and smart discussions here.

Welcome from northern NV here. Sounds like you jumped in quite committed 7 states is a lot where you hoping to go first?

Welcome from northern NV here. Sounds like you jumped in quite committed 7 states is a lot where you hoping to go first?
Hoping to do WY Antelope first, then maybe look into AZ OTC deer. I'm pretty excited, I've been accumulating gear for a couple of years so I'm almost squared away

Awesome remember you don’t need top of the line everything, most of my hiking back pack camping gear I get from my sister. She goes to the thrift shop in Truckee CA and I’ve ended up with some real quality stuff for $30 here 20$ there it’s crazy the stuff I’ve found through her. I think some wealthy people throw it out if it doesn’t match their new boots lol. My brother in law got new waders there Patagonia looked newer than my 1yr old Simms and he paid 65$ for them, couldn’t believe that one. Just remember people have been killing animals for years in flannels and wool pants. Camouflage is good and today’s patterns are crazy good. But that’s not what locates or kills the animal.

Welcome from pa
just remember all the latest and greatest gadgets don’t mean nearly as much as just getting out there getting after it and learning something every time out
good luck 👍

Reactions: Zak
Hello, I'm Zak from Southern CA and I've been into hunting for about 2-3 years now. I'm currently 31 and at this point I can see myself pursuing this as a long-term and hopefully lifetime hobby since my passion for it hasn't diminished at all. I'm still looking forward to my first big game hunt and jumped into the points game in 7 states.

I've been browsing these forums for a while and hope to contribute to the interesting and smart discussions here.
Welcome.

Welcome from Wyoming. I grew up in San Diego. Hunted duck in Riverside, quail and dove in Imperial Valley, and deer in San Bernardino.

Awesome remember you don’t need top of the line everything, most of my hiking back pack camping gear I get from my sister. She goes to the thrift shop in Truckee CA and I’ve ended up with some real quality stuff for $30 here 20$ there it’s crazy the stuff I’ve found through her. I think some wealthy people throw it out if it doesn’t match their new boots lol. My brother in law got new waders there Patagonia looked newer than my 1yr old Simms and he paid 65$ for them, couldn’t believe that one. Just remember people have been killing animals for years in flannels and wool pants. Camouflage is good and today’s patterns are crazy good. But that’s not what locates or kills the animal.
I am guilty of buying the best gear, the exception is clothing. I can't justify $300+ for a piece of Sitka, especially since I don't find the camo patterns very versatile when I'm hiking/backpacking during the off season.

Welcome from NM!

High dollar clothing and boots were the last items on my list. The exception is a high quality outer goretex type shell to shed moisture. That's an investment in survival in my opinion. I've always stuck with synthetics or wool and stay away from cotton. I still won't invest in high dollar insulating layers since they are underneath my high-dollar, outer layer camo, and there are many low-cost options that perform well (quality synthetic or wool). Many HT'ers will disagree with the boots, but my feet are forgiving and I've backpacked in Teva watershoes and hunted big country with tennis shoes. When I did wear boots, they were were Irish Setter type quality. Yes, there have been many hunts with cold wet feet where I had to warm boots by the fire and still get into wet boots the next morning..., but it didn't prevent me from hunting. I've now invested in lots of Kuiu gear/clothing (outer layers only) and am in the process of upgrading boots to Hoffman, Kinnewick, Meindl, or something similar (based on opinions from HT'ers). I don't expect the Kuiu camo/materials or top quality boots to equate to an increase in hunting success. I do expect I will be more comfortable and have clothing/gear that's more functional. I've had deer sniff my tennis shoes while I leaned against a log wearing blaze orange and blue jeans..., coulda harvested them with a hammer!

Welcome from NM!

High dollar clothing and boots were the last items on my list. The exception is a high quality outer goretex type shell to shed moisture. That's an investment in survival in my opinion. I've always stuck with synthetics or wool and stay away from cotton. I still won't invest in high dollar insulating layers since they are underneath my high-dollar, outer layer camo, and there are many low-cost options that perform well (quality synthetic or wool). Many HT'ers will disagree with the boots, but my feet are forgiving and I've backpacked in Teva watershoes and hunted big country with tennis shoes. When I did wear boots, they were were Irish Setter type quality. Yes, there have been many hunts with cold wet feet where I had to warm boots by the fire and still get into wet boots the next morning..., but it didn't prevent me from hunting. I've now invested in lots of Kuiu gear/clothing (outer layers only) and am in the process of upgrading boots to Hoffman, Kinnewick, Meindl, or something similar (based on opinions from HT'ers). I don't expect the Kuiu camo/materials or top quality boots to equate to an increase in hunting success. I do expect I will be more comfortable and have clothing/gear that's more functional. I've had deer sniff my tennis shoes while I leaned against a log wearing blaze orange and blue jeans..., coulda harvested them with a hammer!
Thanks for the insight! I actually did pick up a Sitka Timberline Jacket shell when it was on sale for at Scheels for $100, I was thinking of selling it since I never wear it but your post is making me reconsider.

Hey Zak: Putting in for points in lots of states is a great idea. I've drawn or am near drawing decent tags in a number of places. Wish I'd started when I was your age, but better late than never. Let me know if I can help with north/central Utah.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back