Helicopter Landing in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

Forget paying an outfitter a couple grand per person to elk drop camp + time packing in/out deep in the Bob, Frank Church, or Bridger-Teton Wilderness...

New advertisement... unload gear, step off the skids onto wilderness ground for a $1,000 Round trip 3 people w/ a if not caught - $500 bonus.

Absurd...
A few decades ago, a Montana Army Guard pilot dropped his hunting camp deep into the National Forest near Lincoln using a Guard UH-1 Huey with MTARNG and numbers on the fuselage. A saddle-weary active Army colonel happened to spot it as he rode the rough steep trail in and was not impressed. He reported the aerial camp-drop through channels and the pilot was invited to participate in an FEB (Flight Evaluation Board) which resulted in punitive action including suspension of flight status and nearly losing his job. (No, I was not involved nor even consulted.)

$500....Dang, I'm going about this all wrong. I just paid $2,380 for a film permit on one Forest and I don't even get to film in any Wilderness areas. Hmmm...Forgiveness or permission?

For curiosity sake, what % of outdoor people that only post on online (no tv) are getting film permits?

How does this get changed? This is the most absurd thing I've read about in a long time. $500? That's a f-in' joke. Those cowboys should have shot the rotor then rode off.

A few decades ago, a Montana Army Guard pilot dropped his hunting camp deep into the National Forest near Lincoln using a Guard UH-1 Huey with MTARNG and numbers on the fuselage. A saddle-weary active Army colonel happened to spot it as he rode the rough steep trail in and was not impressed. He reported the aerial camp-drop through channels and the pilot was invited to participate in an FEB (Flight Evaluation Board) which resulted in punitive action including suspension of flight status and nearly losing his job. (No, I was not involved nor even consulted.)
That would end differently today.

A CWO was pretty much "forced" into retirement when he used his "networking" abilities to have a full moose hauled of the training area of a certain military base by helicopter. A whole bull moose, dangling from a military chopper, flying over the training area and base in broad daylight, for the whole world to see...

So a sizable number of Bozman seniors got busted a short while ago partying in Madison County....approx.120 kids...
Their day in court today yielded a penalty of 20 hours community service and loss of license for 30 days...and possibly a fine.
Better to fly a chopper in to the Bob.

So a sizable number of Bozman seniors got busted a short while ago partying in Madison County....approx.120 kids...
Their day in court today yielded a penalty of 20 hours community service and loss of license for 30 days...and possibly a fine.
Better to fly a chopper in to the Bob.

I got a MIP 2 months before my 21st birthday for drinking beer around a fire in the woods and I know that when it was all said and done, it was a lot more than $500.

While I hoped the fine might have been larger, it was never going to hit them where it hurts.

Any hurt will be from whatever shaming they get from their circle of friends. It is safe to assume they don't waste much time checking out what the general public thinks about their entitled adventure.

For curiosity sake, what % of outdoor people that only post on online (no tv) are getting film permits?

Based on my interaction with hunting YouTubers...almost no one gets film/commercial permits that is not the face of a brand Or has a professional license that could be impacted if fined. Same for rock climbers, etc.

The penalty should be changed to include forfeiture of motorized vehicle. If you want to roll the dice, make playing the game worth the gamble.

In this instance,,, I bet that still would not pinch their life.

A CWO was pretty much "forced" into retirement when he used his "networking" abilities to have a full moose hauled of the training area of a certain military base by helicopter. A whole bull moose, dangling from a military chopper, flying over the training area and base in broad daylight, for the whole world to see...
Ballsy move for sure. Those CWO’s always have good connections. In today’s climate they would crucify the CO if they didn’t nail the guy to the wall.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back