Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hearing Protection while hunting...

Horn Seeker

Who all use hearing aids/ear plugs while hunting?

I have really messed up ears and nowadays...even one shot from my rifle will ruin my dam week... the ringing is horrible...

I know there are a number of form fitted products that suppress noise over XX decibles and also amplify normal noises slightly...

I need some opinions...

Sport ear? Miracle ear? ????

Thanks Much!!

I'm big on hearing protection - I haven't shot an animal without them in 15 years. Wish some TV personalities would use them to inspire our kids. ;)

I use custom molded Westone "passive" ear plugs that my hearing doctor made up. I got new ones last year for $150. You can walk around with them barely in so you can hear fine, then if you see an animal you can quickly insert them fully without fumbling around trying to find them. For a $0.50 solution... I have a friend who walks around with two paper towel "spit-wads" in his lip and puts them in his ears when he is ready to shoot. He's kinda weird that way.

I don't hunt with ear pro, but if you wanted something cheap and simple that will let through non hazardous sounds while blocking over 85db, you can also look at the Surefire Earplugs. They are something like $15-30 a pair. I haven't played with them too much, but they look cool, it may be worth picking up a set and wearing them for some every day stuff to see how they work before you decide to go throw several hundred dollars at electronic protection.

That being said, I have a set of electronic muffs from Pro Ears I use for range shooting, they are Awesome. Have also used Peltor Electronic ear pro, not as big a fan, the Pro Ears are way better made.

Hope this helps

I use Walkers Game ears. They are the muff style. Work very well for noise protection, amplify sounds well and an added bonus is they keep ears warm.

I just bought a pair of Surefires. I'm interested to learn what others have to say. I have near total loss in one ear, but the right ear is OK. I cannot afford to lose it. That said, the idea of being in the woods with plugs in my ears seems counter intuitive. I meant to take them grouse hunting last weekend but forgot...

The main reason they are legal in the UK, sound moderators that is, but i hate the damned things, so unless i am zeroing a gun i take the risk.:eek:
Cheers
Richard

I talked to the sport ear sales rep for about 1/2 hr this morning. Take a look at their site... They have some interesting products. Frankly, I am interested in the top of the line "hearing aids" plus protection. The good ones have some sort of deal that will minimize my tinnitus (ringing)... amplify good sounds, cut down background noise... and protect ears from gun shots and loud tools and such.

$2500 is a tough pill to swallow... I still have some research to do.

The suppressor would be nice for hearing protection, but my prob is, I think I would benefit from some hearing enhancement too... Way to much, "Whats that?" "Huh?" "What did you say?" or just smiling and nodding along not knowing wtf someone was saying... especially when in a busy room with background noise.

I'm big on hearing protection - I haven't shot an animal without them in 15 years. Wish some TV personalities would use them to inspire our kids. ;)

I feel almost like you'd get laughed off the air for making a big deal of using earplugs while hunting. It seems most people think that just firing a shot here and there doesn't hurt, and protecting yourself otherwise is just a sign of weakness.

It is a fair issue to bring up though, and perhaps one that the NRA or the NSSF should make a bigger deal of.

If any of you have had the chance to spend time around my dad, you'll know that he has suffered significant hearing loss in one ear. At least some of this is probably due to years of hunting and shooting without hearing protection.

Last edited:
By the way Wing... I saw the pic email I got with Trents bull said 372...

Yeah... the sure fires look good for starters... I am unfortunately probably in the market for an "aid" too...

I bought hearing aid's at 36. When I went in for a hearing evaluation - the audiologist didn't believe me at first. He changed his tune pretty quickly after the hearing test. We also did an experiment where my wife blocked her mouth with a piece of paper and read 20 words to me. I thought I nailed them all - but only got 3 or 4 correct.

I won't shoot anymore without ear plugs in. I'll be picking up some of those SureFire EarPro's to try out.

My hearing loss isn't only from shooting - but it's a huge factor. I have the "shooters ear" - I'm right-handed so my left ear is much worse than my right. Hearing loss is easily prevented - plugs only take a second to throw in. I have them in my bino case at all times, several sets in the truck.

I've become an ear-protection Nazi now. We naturally lose hearing as we age - and I need to protect mine as best I can.

The thing that really sucks is that insurance won't cover my hearing aides (I can use medical savings account funds). They are 'cosmetic'. They'll cover glasses, but not hearing aides. It sucks to drop 5-6K on something like this - but it's worth it to hear my daughter and son.

The thing that really sucks is that insurance won't cover my hearing aides (I can use medical savings account funds).

You can use money from an HSA or Flexible Spending Account to pay for ear plugs too.

My wife pointed out I couldn't hear things, including rattle snakes, in my early thirties. My left ear is worse - classic for shooters (your arm shields your right ear when you fire). It's a bit less macho to shoot with ear plugs, but maybe you can save your kid's hearing by setting a good example if you aren't concerned with your own.

I use a cheap set of 3m ear plugs w/ either a cord or the hard plastic bridge.

Just started last year. I won't go back to unprotected.

Howard Leight Muffs around my neck if I'm stationary. Slip them on when game spotted or when my spidey senses tingle. If it's an opportunistic shot and I don't have time...so be it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back