Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hawaii or Mexico?

Keep in mind that Hawaii has had the strictest Covid rules/quarantine of probably any state. We were supposed to go in June for our 10th anniversary, but that got canceled due to Covid. My wife and I contemplated trying to reschedule for 2021, but will likely wait until 2022. If there is an uptick in Covid over the Fall/Winter I almost guarantee that Hawaii will reinstate its 14-day (strictly enforced) quarantine at a minimum.

2rocky:

thinking about our conversation and the virus I also was thinking you might want to postpone. but if not AND the fires in California dont destroy it, another thought with only 5 days available to you is

Calistoga Ranch: It is beautiful, interesting and they do have activities in that area. Hot air ballon rides, zip line rides, horseback rides, and if you want to go on an Africa Safari, you can do so while there, sort of (-;. They had bicycles also and of course swimming and wine tasting --a lot of wine tasting (-; The had an old convertible also that you could rent but I forget what it was exactly. Really nice property, accommodations are very nice. For 5 days this might be an alternative that would fit the bill for what your trying to accomplish ---not what you asked about, but an alternative. The old car can ( or could ) be rented and the Africa Safari actually has a few interesting animals, buffalo, rhino and some different antelope species.

The way they built the accommodations at the ranch to blend into the existing trees, rocks etc is nice. I think you will enjoy the accommodations, very nice.

On the plus side--, no plane trip and a LOT of wine tasting (-:

But 2020 being what it is, IF they are open ? Virus, Fires, riots, --and you are close to them all unfortunately. Best of luck

I have tickets for Kauai departing Nov 5. I bought them in feb before the pandemic.
If Hawaii opens up in time for my trip, it will be glorious because there will be hardly any tourist.

Europe I reckon you are talking about Safari West in Mark West Springs? Over night in a Treehouse?

I have tickets for Kauai departing Nov 5. I bought them in feb before the pandemic.
If Hawaii opens up in time for my trip, it will be glorious because there will be hardly any tourist.
They have delayed the COVID pretesting program. Let us know what your procedure/requirements are .

Europe I reckon you are talking about Safari West in Mark West Springs? Over night in a Treehouse?

Yes and no (-: yes this is the place and no I would not stay there if I was staying at Calistoga Ranch, which is where I was suggesting that you consider, because of the virus quarantine requirements.

If I was visiting Safari West and wanted to spend the night in the area--maybe--but probably not, as there are nicer places in that area in which to spend the night. Also, they do not have lions and nothing sounds like a night in Africa, like the sound of a lion roar when your setting around an evening campfire.

I wa suggesting staying at the Calistoga Ranch, and visiting Safari West one of the 5 days your there. I also remembered the car. It is a Packard Convertible. Very cool old car, that some here have probably never heard of, since they discontinued making them in the 50's..

If treehouse accommodations interest you. Wait tell this virus thing is in our rear view mirror and head to the Amazon. Now THOSE are treehouse's (-: Actually the entire hotel--lobby, restaurant, rooms are in the trees. Wonderful memory!

If you decide to go to Mexico or Hawaii and decide to include a little hunting, it might be worth the extra cost to invite Glass Eye to go with you. He has hunted both places --a lot. He has taken a large variety of animals in Mexico and Hawaii.

I'd go Hawaii and more specifically Kauai or Lanai. I enjoyed going to Pearl Harbor, but other than that I could skip Honolulu forever. Now, Mexico I won't ever return to again. I know plenty of people who feel it's safe and all, but I've known a few people who were kidnapped or had family/friends kidnapped. It was years ago that I had problems with the police down there and I can't imagine they've improved any.

I would pick Hawaii, but not until they figure out a way to let nonresidents there without a 14 day quarantine.

I'd go Hawaii and more specifically Kauai or Lanai. I enjoyed going to Pearl Harbor, but other than that I could skip Honolulu forever. Now, Mexico I won't ever return to again. I know plenty of people who feel it's safe and all, but I've known a few people who were kidnapped or had family/friends kidnapped. It was years ago that I had problems with the police down there and I can't imagine they've improved any.

My wife is Mexican born & raised and she's afraid to travel in Mexico.
We've been married 33 years and on our honeymoon in Baja while driving the desert highway at night in the middle of nowhere, there was a guy rolling boulders onto the road to block it. He hadn't finished yet and there was room to speed through past him. He was waving his arms for us to stop. Yeah right !

there was a guy rolling boulders onto the road to block it. He hadn't finished yet and there was room to speed through past him. He was waving his arms for us to stop. Yeah right !
To be fair, not that different from many American cities right now.

Not looking good for my Nov trip to Kauai. The Hawaii tourism website for the moment says Oct 1 at the earliest they will begin to receive tourist with negative covid test results. However, the Division of Forestry and Wildlife just sent out this notice. The hunts don't even begin until late Feb.

(Lānaʻi City) – The DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) regretfully announces the cancellation of the 2021 Lāna‘i Axis Deer season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. DOFAW has determined that cancellation of the hunt is in the best interest of public safety. DOFAW is planning to implement a combination Mouflon Sheep/Axis Deer season in the summer or fall of 2021, pending the status of the COVID-19 pandemic. Information and updates on the Mouflon Sheep/Axis Deer combination hunt will be posted on the DOFAW webpage in the spring of 2021. Hunters seeking further information may contact the Maui Branch of DOFAW at (808) 984-8100.

That’s like comparing a fine champagne to a PBR. I’d go broke drinking a bottle of the former every day, but a PBR is better than a cold cup of water...some days...maybe...

Let’s just say my wife and I aren’t planning our splurge 10-year anniversary trip to Mexico

I’ve been to both, although Mexico was quite a while ago. Hawaii is primeval, and blow your mind away beautiful. I recommend every continental American visit at least once if they can swing it. Reputation for being expensive, but you can actually eat for cheap by buying from the grocery store, and camping can be a nice option if you don’t mind roughing the balmy weather...keep in mind many hotels are open air buildings anyways.

Hawaii is great. We were there last summer. Buy your own snorkle gear and bring it with. The same places the companies take people too are the same ones you can go to for free. Get a rental car, pack a soft cooler in your bag and go for a few day trips. We loved every second of our trip. Maui and Big Island were great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back