Caribou Gear Tarp

Hauling Meat Inside A Pack

I think it depends on the type of hunt it is. I really like the packs that have a separate load shelf for the long multi day sheep hunts I've been on. I've tried both and just don't like the thought of blood getting on my sleeping bag, clothes and other items. Most of these hunts take at least a day or two to get out so you have to have the meat with all your camping gear you've hauled in. I also love being able to get that meat distributed as close to my back as possible. My brother runs just internal frames and gets along just fine. I think it just comes down to preference and what is of valid concern to you.

Thought I'd throw a picture in of most of a sheep and camp in one pack. I too like the idea of still putting the meat in a waterproof bag while even using the meat shelf. When it does take a couple days to get out we just spread the meat out overnight and then repackage it the next morning.

sheep.jpg

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. As expected, user error, including not having the proper materials, was the primary cause of my misfortune, i.e. blood soaked everything. With these suggestions I will be much better prepared.

What is your reasoning behind the preference to not have a load sling? After having one, there must be something that has turned you off about it?

Nothing against the load sling. My current pack with the load sling is good, but it is on the small side and I need a larger pack for the upcoming seasons. Initially, I only looked for larger packs with the load sling feature. However, after trying several packs, I have become very fond of a frame/suspension/bag combination that seems better suited for internal hauling.

Good advice here.

I like the smaller trash compactor bags over the contractor bags. Get the unscented ones.

I've used a pack cover before, works great, but will eat the DWR off it.

I am very careful to keep from puncturing the plastic bag and will usually put my foam butt pad under it to catch the blood that will occasionally soak through. I make sure to bag up any other gear that may end up in the bottom of the pack as well. Nothing more fun than sleeping in a blood soaked sleeping bag in grizzly countey. :)

this^^^

Forget about the plastic bags and what difference does the blood stains make. If the pack is for hunting, so what if it gets bloody. I just put the meat in game bags and into the pack. Plastic bags are not good for the meat unless it goes straight into a cooler.

Good advice here.
Nothing more fun than sleeping in a blood soaked sleeping bag in grizzly countey. :)

I was thinking the same thing. When you're sleeping in a tight drainage with the only route being the creek bottom you're in the last thing you want to smell like in your bag is "fajita soaked in blood":eek:

I am with the 'bloody packs rule' crowd - isn't that what they are for? Guns become safe queens....some guys have packs that are closet queens maybe, or afraid of dirt and blood? Not sure which.

I have been advised to use only unscented, white plastic bags, when containing meat blood and other fluids. The black plastic bags have chemical and/or dye treatments which may get into the meat.

The best way I've found is to let the quarters/boned meat dry a bit before you put it in game bags.

I usually lay the quarters out on a tarp, clean rock, etc. and let the blood dry as much as possible. Then I put the quarters in a good quality game bag.

It doesn't keep all the blood out of the inside of a pack, but it keeps a vast majority out.

At the end of each hunting season, I clean my packs either in a power wash or let them soak in a utility sink for a day or so.

IMO, packing meat in an internal frame is the only way to fly...

This. I am usually on a backpack hunt when I pack meat out and take a small tarp/ piece of plastic to lay out to let the meat dry before putting in kingsize pillowcases/ game bags. Then I hang the bags if possible before hauling.

A simple soak in the tub with light detergent and some agitation, plus rinsing and then hanging to dry in the shade will defunk anything a pig/ deer/ bear/ etc. left behind. I don't do trash bags if I can avoid it as it traps heat. Many hunts are miles deep, and in warm temps the pack becomes an oven...

Good luck!

I never worried much about bloodstains. Character marks?
Tub soak if it's really bad with some peroxide,then rinse off & hang dry. Cleans bloody meat bags good.

Meat is heavier than a down bag and really should be at the bottom of the pack.
I get the meat out 1st, I then take my camp and the rack.

I was thinking the same thing. When you're sleeping in a tight drainage with the only route being the creek bottom you're in the last thing you want to smell like in your bag is "fajita soaked in blood":eek:

You can be sure that no matter what you do, a bear is still going to smell the blood and meat. If dogs can sniff out drugs that are encased in elaborate methods to elude detection, and still the dogs smell it. I'm sure a bear will smell your bloody meat too.

You can be sure that no matter what you do, a bear is still going to smell the blood and meat. If dogs can sniff out drugs that are encased in elaborate methods to elude detection, and still the dogs smell it. I'm sure a bear will smell your bloody meat too.

Oh there's no doubt about it! I'm not joking though some of these pack outs you are in tight quarters for the night and you get all the meat, your bag and any food you have and place them away from you the best you can. You sleep like crap waking to every sound and shining the flashlight out the tent. It's insanely unnerving. My point was I don't want to be laying next to or in it if I can help it. You don't have a choice of leaving your gear and hauling the meat out alone. You need to take everything out with you because of how far in and remote this stuff is. Like I said earlier every hunt is different and sometimes you can just haul meat so who cares what the pack ends up looking like, I agree.

I used to just put the meat (in game bags) straight into my pack (an Arc'teryx Bora 80), but since I use the same pack to go camping in grizzly country, and I got tired of having to deep clean it after every animal, I've started carrying a 55 L dry sack. I'll put the game bags inside the dry sack, and drop the dry sack in the backpack.

Back