Haul Road Carribou Pix.....

D

Deerslayer

here are some carribou that my brother's buddys took up on the haul road hunt.

C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\download\mybull\9bulls.jpg

There are bigger carribou to be found in Alaska for sure.....but my goal is not to take the new world record, but rather shoot a couple of good representative Bou...I think that can be done.
DS

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-04-2002 11:00: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

I sent it to elky and asked him to post them.......he must be out searchin for tomorrow's "early morning thursday" for the adult section ;)
DS

LOL DS :D

Here ya go
:eek:

9-bulls.jpg

Thanks Elky.

Like anywhere else, if a guy is selective, he can take a nice bou.....if he shoots the first one he sees, it may not be as big had he held out a little.

Knowing you guys like I do, you don't know the meaning of "holding out"....your just a bunch of cheap whores!~ :eek:
DS

That's right. I wouldn't know a "representative 'bou" if it bit me on the ass. So the first halfway decent looking one is liable to "get plugged." (Just like you and Indy in a bar.. ;) ) Why don't you go first and then we'll have something to compare to... ;)

I do have a standard and a system, or I like to think so at least ;) They are tough to judge alone, like with a lot of big game.

I want a double shovel, and he needs to have good mass. Hopefully a lot of bulls will be sighted together, then you can concentrate on the larger ones. Nothing like smaller bulls to make the big boys stand out. I will tag a bou regardless, but I would make dam sure the second was a bruiser.....the haul road pack out can be the shit storys from hell are made of! :eek:

Either way, we'll kill some shit and have a ton of fun doing it. As you can tell from the pic, the bou are there, all we gotta do is hunt hard and have our own goals set, and go to it.
DS

I'm thinkin' that the red one has spent waaaay too much time in Greenie and Moosie's camp... :D :D :eek:
Bill

There are lots of things to look for as DS suggests... double shovels, mass and width, nice palmated bez and tops and back points off the main beams. The big palmated tops are what turn me on. My 'bou is about a year shy of being record book. He will go into SCI's book if I ever had him professionally scored though.

Cool Nut...be sure to post the pix when he gets back.

Yeah Bill...looks like he just lost his velvet.....kinda nasty looking but he is a nice one.

The word is......this herd lacks the impressive tops that some other herds, say the Mulchatna Herd, have......but let's face it.....this ain't a trophy hunt....if it was, we'd be paying big bucks.

There is no doubt that some book bulls are there, but the odds are that we probably will kill just average bulls that looked like haevy weights at the time! :eek:

It should be a lot of fun either way.

I am now leaning on the last week of September/first week of October hunt time.
It is said to be a great time to be up there.....so I will plan to bow hunt elk in Wyo the first two weeks, then do a Carribou hunt centered around October 1, then hunt one of the late seasons in Co again. The Carribou hunt will mess up a rifle hunt in Wyo for me.....but I think the bow is the only way to get a big bull in there anyway....
DS
DS

DS... any of those bulls would make a very impressive European mount and a few of them are certainly deserving of a full shoulder mount. The trophy quality of an animal, to me anyway, is purely what I think of it.

I'd be proud to arrow any of those stags...

Anytime is good for me with regard to when we go. If we go late Sept, early Oct, do we miss out on the fishing opportunities?

Most probably we would not have the fishing opportunities at that time, but we wouldn't be in prime areas for the salmon runs anyway I don't think. It;s kinda like I discussed earlier about comboing a moose hunt with the Carribou. I think we should concentrate the Bou hunt on the best time to go for carribou instaed of trying to split it up into a two-fold hunt......I think the hunting would suffer from that greatly. I have been told repeatedly it would be a mistake to go after them until around October. The bugs are supposed to be murder up til that time, and the pack out is much harder before then, not to mention the animals are concentrated much farther north.

A hunt centered around Oct 1 would find us hunting carribou in cooler weather, no bugs, the bou would be farther south so we would find them much sooner, and the pack out would be made relatively easy by snowfall.

Some things to consider for sure.
DS

Probably so Ithaca....but when I think of Alaska and fishing......I'm thinking of the great Salmon runs. Nothing quite like it anywhere I have experienced. We have trout fishing here that pretty good, but salmon is a different story.
DS

I can already tell this trip will have it all....from great hunting to even greater tales from camp :eek:

I have a friend there, one of the guys who went sheep hunting with me this year, that wants to do the trip with us. He has been up there many times and hopes to still be in Alaska next season....he will know for sure in the spring. He has a 4x4 rig with a camper.....so that would be one less thing to worry about. Indy's brother is coming, and Indy and me and Jason round out our group, whick makes 5 including Rink....so we'll need an extra tent...which Rink has up there. We'll work it all out in the spring when we know for sure if Rink is still there.
DS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back