Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Alaska.....2003..."the test drive"

GEE thanx Cali.I just picked up my bow today it is a Darton Viper model,60-70 lb.That should be sufficient enuff.I need to go to a bow shop here in the next couple days to get a release and some arrows.Just thinking about this hunt right now I might be able to swing it not sure yet. :D

I don't want to talk you guys out of your plans, but want to at least offer you another option, and one I consider to be pretty reasonable.

First off, let me say I haven't read this thread word for word, but I had a few things did catch my eye.

One, Anchorage to Fairbanks is 6 hours, Fairbanks to Coldfoot is 5 hours, add another 2 hours until you get to the north side of the Brooks.

From this point on the bou can be anywhere from Aug to Sept. However, you will most likely see the majority of bou around Tulik and Galbriath lakes, Happy Valley, and finally pretty thick from Pump Station #2 (about 60 miles south of Deadhorse) all the way until you get into Deadhorse. Factors to consider are bugs and heat, any of these two and the bou will stay farther north, closer to the Beaufort Sea where it is cooler and less bugs. As the season progresses and you start getting into Oct and Nov, and even Dec the bou start their migration south and can normally be found in abundance at Atigun Pass.

Second thing that caught my eye is the mention of black bear. Once north of Fairbanks clear until you get just south of the Brooks Range there is ALWAYS a good chance to see a blackie. Any of you boys with a bow will likely have a good chance. Lots of cover, and the bears are normally preoccupied with devouring oogles of berries. I wouldn't necessarily say all six or eight (or however many go) get tags, but at least one or two of you should. I can think of very few times I haven't seen black bears around the Arctic Circle Campground (hint-hint).

Third, seen a few things mentioned about regs. A few things to keep in mind. You have to have an IBEP or similar state nationally recognized bow certification to hunt 1/4 mile away from the Dalton clear out to 5 miles. Did I say 1/4 mile away from??? Yelp, thanks to the ABA (Alaska Bowhunters Association) new this year is the restriction to hunt with any weapon 1/4 mile from the road. I won't get into my beefs with the ABA (a good organization, but I sometimes wonder who they are looking after...the bunny hugging tour charters or hunters), but just let it be known you better be 1/4 mile off the road or farther before you go slinging any arrows. Same thing applies if your rifle hunting, make sure you are 5 miles or farther from the road. If you use a GPS I'd wait until I reached 5.5 miles, just to be safe. Another one, marking your arrows. The reg doesn't say where you have to mark them, so be as creative as you want. You'll have to put your IBEP number on the arrow. You can place it on the shaft, under the fletching, on the fletching, as small as you want it or as large as you want it. Alaska is very strict about wanton waste. If you take an animals life, you better take every ounce of meat to include the rib meat, neck meat, shot meat, and liver. Okay, I'm kidding about the shot meat and liver. Seriously, take your time in field dressing and get all of the grub. Last thing to come out of the field is antlers, but with 6 to 8 guys you should be able to get an entire animal out in one trip. I've found 3 guys makes packing an adult bull out pretty comfy. Oh, and you have to keep the proof of sex attached to either of the quarters.

Now a word on terrain. There isn't much for cover along the dalton north of the Brooks range. There are a few "hilly" sections, but for the most part it is flat and very boggy and wet. There are no trees, and not many large bushes, except along the creek & river drainages (hint-hint). What you mostly are limited to for cover is tiny bushes, depressions in the muskeg, undercut creek banks, and the biggy...the pipeline. Many of the good places to use the pipeline as cover are no longer huntable because the pipeline is within the 1/4 corridor at many places, but never fear, there are still some stretches you can find, that is if you can predict the bou to be there. Lastly, if you plan to walk 5 miles in, walk west off of the road, you will never cross all of the rivers on the east side.

Camo, if you can find a pattern with a combination of or all of the following colors, your as good as gold...green, yellow, red, brown, or white. I had a friend that got a hold of some swedish military camo and it blended in perfectly, but looked awfully heavy and miserable once he started to perspire. I have always used Mossy Oak Break-up and have never felt my camo cheated me out of an animal. It normally is movement, or smell that gets yah!

Finally, before this becomes anymore of a book I wanted to offer another option to your plans. First, let me fill you in on some of the disadvantages of renting a truck and camper. I haven't the foggiest what you were quoted for a price, but I'm sure it will be a pretty penny. I'm guessing about $250 a day or more, plus you will be charged for mileage. Plus any damage that occurs to the vehicle will be your responsibility to fix. It is almost a sure thing you will encounter cracked windshields & flat tires, so take an air compressor and a tire kit (it has saved me more than once on the road) and at least one or two spares. Last year, there was a good amount of road construction going on around Mile Post #2 all the way to Happy Valley. They were replacing colverts, and it was told to me construction would continue for this year, and perhaps 03. Remember I said, PS#2 is a prime area for bou. I firmly feel the construction affected the migration pattern of the bou last year (when I was there I seen very little bou) and because of the construction it locked all the road hunters into one small section. Since it sounds like the majority of you all haven't been there, I will tell you there are a lot of inconsiderate bass-turds along the road system. They will attempt stalks on animals you are already after, and they chase animals so hard that you will be hard pressed to find bou that aren't extremely skittish. That isn't to say you won't have a chance at a bou, but it makes things more difficult. Bottom line, we don't need anymore jerkoffs on the road north. Be considerate to others, and look before you go running after game. If you get the truck camper combo, make sure you get some extra gas cans. All of the driving to and from glassing for bou you will be doing will burn it up. It is nice not having to drive clear into Deadhorse every day to get gas. Speaking of Deadhorse, if you get in the mood for a hot cooked meal, there is an excellent buffet style all you can eat cafeteria there that is quite cheap. You will need a credit card for gas there. Thats the only way to pump.

That was the disadvantages, you already know the advantages...world class bou hunting w/o guide fees.

Now, I know of a place (and I have no affiliation with them) that you can go to on the slope for a reasonable rate and rifle hunt or bow hunt right from the front door, get hot meals if you wish, hot showers if you wish, stay in a hut for a moderate fee or in your tent for free (your choice), have access to ATV's, and satelite TV. If you could find one, I would rent a van (or fly) that could fit all of your party, drive up to deadhorse, and take a flight from deadhorse to "this place" for $700 roundtrip. You can cut the cost between three people and be on your way to hunting. No corridors to worry about, no jackasses flinging arrows at your bull, none of that.

Here is what it looks like for you broken down. This is just from Deadhorse to your hunting camp.

$250 per person for a seat on the plane
$150 night for hut (includes 3 meals, shower, and laundry)
$100 for a wheeler per day (priority goes to guests staying in the huts) I would suggest renting one only after downing an animal or two, thus facilitating getting your meat out. If one of you reserve the hut each day, but on different days, you can have priority on the wheelers every day.

So if you figure it up, for a 5 day hunt, with purchasing all of the above for at least one day, it will run about $500 per person, and cheaper if you go w/o the hut. I'd venture to say most of you are from around Idaho, so with roundtrip airfare (I used Boise for the scenario) to Prudhoe tickets would run $1000. If you flew to Fairbanks it would be about $650, plus the van rental for say six guys, seven days, add another $150 to $200 (includes gas) about $850. You will need to obtain a "Known Shipper's" Declaration through Alaska Airlines if you are shipping meat and antlers back. You most likely could shed some weight if you donated some of your meat.

I apologize for the length of the post, but I hope it helps you all out. The slope is really a great place to experience and say you've hunted. Good luck to you all.

Oh and bring your fishing poles, good arctic char and grayling fishing!

Welcome to Hunttalk Ovis ;)

That was the most thorough, informative reply I have seen in a long time.

Thanks for all the info and for the [HINTS] :D

Deerslayer,
I'm not sure if all the spaces are filled for the 2003 road hunt, but I'm interested. Archery 'bou for around $1200? You bet I'm interested.

I don't know most of you, but I know Rick and Oscar (too well). It sounds like a great time.

T Bone

T-bone, ...I'm hooking in with Indy and Jason because I know they are both in, plus their cuter than the rest ;) .....but Cali and Moosie wanna go and there would be room with them if you don't smell bad. You would need to drop one of 'em a line or maybe mail 'em a sweaty shirt so they can get an idea of what to expect :eek:

Orvis, the truck/camper rental from Anchorage was only $60 per day if we wait til October..only $70 in September, and something like $120 in August when more folks are likely to go.
My brother has done this hunt several times and says that qaulity shots on trophy bou are to be expected if a guy hunts hard. And for folks that aren'ticky and just want any bull bou, it's a cake walk. My plan is to hunt hard and be selective and search out a big double shovel or a big bull that's mostly white....something other than the norm.
I do realize the fly in you speak of would be awsome...better than our plan....but then we start bumpin our prices up litlle by little and we are poor folks ;) ..or at least I am. I could drop $3000 bucks total and do it first rate......or I can spend the $1200-$1400 and work a little harder and still have opportunities at quality bou.
I have three other week long hunting trips scheduled for next year, so the hunt cash fund is sure to be strained......so I will stick with the low-rate deal my brother put together for me. He has had success, so that tells me it ain't that hard :D

You had a ton of great info in your post and I did copy it down and want to thank you a bunch. I may contact you later with some questions.

And I quoted high on the drive times to Fairbanks and beyond......because I would rather allow a couple of extra hours for weather and bad road conditions. My round trip ait to Anchorage from Colorado was only $350...that leaves a lot of room for a suprise or two.

On the camo......I was in the army surplus here and saw some German camo that perfectly matches the tundra...I'll buy the pants($30) and a long shirt ($15)..will be great for moving in close.
DS

Couple more things came to mind. Whites...if you can get your hands on a few sets of whites for your party they can sometimes come in handy, especially if there is snow on the ground. I think I read mention of a sled to pack out an animal. Don't bother with the sled. Because of the tussocks it makes pulling a sled quite tough and you end up restacking your fallen load more than pulling it. The sled only works when there is lots & lots of white stuff which normally isn't the case that time of year. I don't consider myself a duck / waterfowl hunter, but if any of you are, geese are in season during the Aug-Sept timeframe, and there are generally quite a few birds. Every take a honker with a bow? Lots of ptarmigan out on the tundra, either get yourself some bird points for your arrows are become profecient at rock chucking. Oh, and foxes...you will find lots of foxes on the south side of the range, between there and Coldfoot. You will also most likely see Dall Sheep as you drive through Atigun Pass. Mostly lambs and ewes, but every now and then you will cross with some rams. I spotted and stalked two full curl rams last year from the road. Took a photo or two and went back to the truck. I'd of taken my bow with me, but I already filled my tag for that year.

DS

That is an excellent price for the truck combo. Almost sounds too good to be true. One advantage I could think of with the camper is you don't have to pack all of your camping equipment. HOWEVER, if you plan on packing 5 miles off of the road, take shelter, food, water, and the works with you. You never know when you could get stuck out in no man's land due to fog, darkness, etc. I will promise if you don't you will either die or wish you were dead. Since it sounds like you are going with the camper, check into renting an inflatable canoe, or something similar. Generally you can get away from the crowds if you go east off the road. Just crossing the Sag will get you away from people and perhaps increase your odds of taking a trophy bull. There are plenty of pull offs along the Hwy to park the camper. My favorite place to camp is just south of Pump Station #2. It is on the left side of the road, has plenty of dirt hills, and provides shelter from the elements. There are normally other hunters there, but it is a huge area. If you are buying booze, buy it in one of the big towns, Fairbanks being the last. If you run out up around Deadhorse, a six pack is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $18 :eek: Places to get good grub north of Fairbanks are Hilltop (about 20 miles north of Fairbanks), I recommend the combination omelet, Coldfoot, any of the burgers are outstanding, and I mentioned the stop in Deadhorse. These are all truck stops, with the exception of Deadhorse, so you know the plates are greasy, and the grub is good and comes in large amounts.

There are plenty of great bulls on the slope. A P&Y bull won't be hard to find, getting a great stalk on one will the most challenging thing.

PS. Take a roll or two of paper towels and windex. You will need them for the windows. I promise you the truck will be covered from head to toe in mud, and if there isn't one thing I hate more, it is windows I can't see out of.

Always feel free to ask me any questions regarding the area.

On the sledding.......that is why he waits til October...no people and plenty of snow to sled..that is how they always do it when they are away from the road......he said it beats the hell out of packing them. But I don't want to do October......that would phuck up a good elk hunt ;) ...so I will want to go either August or Sept......just have to bring the ol' pack and buck up is all!...one thing about it...you don't travel out past 5 miles on foot and shoot a dink! :eek: ......your more selective the farther out you go :D ....and I think a book bull is possible if not probable if a fella wades through the dinks.....but I wouldn't know a book bull if I saw one!...so I need to think BIG!!!!

The camper thingy does sound cheap......but he just checked this last week. Even if it were twice that, by the time you split it 3 ways, it is a helluva cheap transport/camp!
DS

The more I read about this hunt the better it sounds. I really think that with some work we could get shots at good bulls.

There is quite a bit of reading on the internet about this hunt.

http://www.edersbow.com/publication/1998/September/car/

http://web.hulteen.com/eric/deadhorse.html

http://aurora.ak.blm.gov/dalton/tour/default.html

There is mention of lots of wildlife. Along with caribou, bears and moose. I'm for going during moose season. I'm sure that with some physical work we could find some good bulls.

T Bone

T-bone,
I dont hunt this area but according to the regs, moose along the cooridor is a draw hunt. It is for res and non-res. I'm not sure if this falls under the Nov. or June drawing but I'll let you know.

Thanks LilBiggun,

Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping this hunt comes together. Drawing a moose tag would be a bonus.

T Bone

Hell the drawing is only $5. If your gonna come up your gonna have to buy the license anyway and if you get drawn, the price of the moose tag.

I just tried checking out the specifics to the drawings for that area and it locked up my computer. Check out www.state.ak.us and go to the fins and feathers part and check out the permit section.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-12-2002 22:59: Message edited by: lilbiggun ]</font>

T-bone......I have been up there Moose hunting, needing a 50" or 4 brow tine......and I can tell you, if you are going after a bull moose along these lines, you have little or no chance unless you go specifically after the moose. You would never be able to do the Bou hunt seriously, and get your moose as a sideline....unless you took an extra week or so. The Blackies are a different story. I have gotten a black bear each time in Alaska no matter what I was up there hunting. But the Moose is a tough ticket, especiallu when he has to be 50". You would need a week to 10 days and do a lot of research on a good area.

Yes, you could have some really freakish good luck and happen to see a big bull crossing the Tundra where we will be bou hunting, but it's not very likely.
I would say a fealla needs to pursue a "target species" and concentrate whole heartedly on that animal. But that's just my thinking on it.

My brother went on several researched moose hunts before finally getting his chance on a good bull.....it just ain't that easy.......
DS

That was kinda what I thought, DS. Unless you just went out and shot the first caribou that came along on the first day, I would think you'd be hunting different areas for the two animals. Never been there, but maybe east by the rivers for the moose and west for the caribou?

Plus, it would take a few days, I think, to haul a moose from wherever you shot it to the camper and I would not ask my buddies to give up a couple of hunting days to help me when time is limited. (Half a day, maybe.) Unless you got really lucky and shot a moose just over the 1/4 mile line from the road... ;)

Looks like there are two controlled moose hunts along the Dalton corridor open to non-res. North of Slate cr 20 permits Sept 5-25, South of Slate Crk 50 permits Sept 5-25. 50" spread or 4 brow tine minimum. May application deadline.

Its worth thinking about over the next 9 months!

Moose on the north side of the Brooks Range, along any areas you will ever see are VERY VERY rare. Matter of fact, there isn't even a season for moose there. The permit areas (which are new as of this year) are for south of the range, more around the Coldfoot area. I've had friends who were successful at taking big moose there, but I myself have never seen anything larger than a fork horn. If you drew a tag, I would hunt for the latest portion of the season possible, thus getting you more into the rutting time. That way you could do some calling and thrashing. It is possible to get a legal mooose from there, but as others have stated, to do both would need more time.

Exactly right Cali........you are talking and animal that reaches upto 1600lbs on the top end.......and that translates to up to 500-600 pounds for the larger ones :eek: ....you a bad, bad man if you can pack that kinda weight in a couple of days beyound the 5 mile corridor. I have always dreamed uo an Alaskan Yukon Moose, and have been once on a 100 mile float trip for them down the Yukon River, but it was too hot that year and the 3 weeks I was in we saw zero moose......like I said, it can be a tough go ;) If a fella wants to do the moose gig, he would be better served going in on one of the interior rivers like the Koyokuk, which has tons of little feeder streams and tributaries.....and he better be ready to hunt his balls off and work his ass off after the shot. Or of course, he can pay the big bucks and let a guy put him on top of one. ;)

As for the carribou.......they go up to 500 pounds for the really large ones..most mature bou being in the 300-400lbs range equating to around 100-175lbs pack out weight when boned out. That would still take a couple of guys some work with packs....but hey......if it wasn't tough we wouldn't appreciate it :D

Ovis is right about the scarcity of the moose up there......in the top article T-bone posted, the guys says they saw some....but at the end of the article where the big animals one might see were listed.....it said Carribou, Grizz, and Black bears.....it didn't even list Moose because they are not regularly seen there.
DS

I'll vouge for T-bone DS..... He is 100% FREAK NUTZ like Greeny when it comes to hunting..... He's the chit and his Chit don't stink :D He is also the Taker of the Famouse "PAN PIC" so that should say something about him.... He also doesn't drink.. THEM dang Mormon boys ;) So we can have a designated Driver !!! HAHA !!

ORVIS, WELCOME aboard our talk board and thanx for the INFO... A guy can't PAY for info like the stuff you posted. It's all good and helps brothers out that are in need.... I oftern wonder if a guy spends more on these dang do-it-yourself hunts, BUT the time and Planning is FUN and well worth it even if it's not cheaper !!!!!

THANX again ......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back