Alaska.....2003..."the test drive"

DS,
You're probably right on the "choose your game" idea. It's just that the thought of Alaska gets me excited.

By the way, what kind of length of hunt are we talking about? One week? I'd think that would be the minimum needed to do it right.

T Bone

Ditto on the thanks for the quality info Ovis.....kinda re-affirms the info I was already given by my brother up there, and it's good to hear it from a neutral source...you know how brothers can be full of shit sometimes ;)

And thanks to you T-bone, for the hyperlinks you found...still more re-affirming that we are dead-on with the plans for this hunt and not making it sound better than it actually is. My brother has completed the hunt 3 times I think,...but the Hyper link with a magazine article hearing the author say how great that very hunt was was reassuring.

Good talking to you on the phone last night Moosie.....even though my wife overheard us and went through the roof being the last to find out I am heading back to Alaska next year as well as next week! :eek: .....she'll get over it or she won't ;)

I too get excited about all the possibilities T-bone.......and am guilty of trying to parlay a combination of animals on the same trip.....but have learned that it usually results in a mediocre hunt. But hey, it won't effect anybody else if you wanna grab a Moose tag....you could always put in on a bou if you saw no moose.....but remeber to get in the draw if that is what you plan on doing.

Once again, the only variable I see is the ground transportation....and I should have a better handle on that after next week when I'm up there......

And T-bone.....I would think about 10 days like I am doing for this sheep hunt. Two days travel both ways...leaving six days to hunt.....which will allow ample time to search out a book bull. It would be a shame to go all the way to Alaska and only have a week......after 4 days travel, you'd only have 3 days to hunt....it would suck to travel more days than you would hunt. Hopefully everyone would be able to swing 10 days......if we spread it out over two weekends.......a week and a day would be all that most would miss from work.
DS

DS.. GOOD talking to ya bro... kept my ass awake while I was driving... FUnny thing is T-bone called me around 10PM and I talked to him for over 40 mins.. well... MY wife got on the phone and talked to his wife about BABY stuff... I won't say who talked longer.. us or them ;)

ANYWAYS... My wife said NO way on me going.. So that just meens I need to buy her a new Suburban next year and I can go. :D I think the best thing to do is limit the group into MINOR groups...

I think 3-4 per "UNIT" would be good. If Cali, T-bone, me and MAybe WYLEE ant to go in a rig. You, Indy, &Jason Lee go into another... And if someone else wants in they can get a group of 3-4.....

I think the little group thing would work out the best. Then each person is responsible for their group only.. ANd If for example our group gets tiered of your group just drinkng and PArtying and Not gettting game like usual ;) We can move down the road a bit and Hook up that evening or the next day or something ?

We can share all the info here and make lans with each other and Do our own thing.. Even though it's together .. DOES that make sense ?

I need to firm up a few things before I commit... LIKE how I'm gonig to buy that suburban my wife wants ;) And we can go from there !!!!!

I'M LIKEING the last week in Sept idea or the 2nd to last week. Tha's what I vote for... With BUGS/Migration/LOWER 48 hunting and just everythnig else it only makes sense to do it then. BUT, Thats just what I think

ORVIS, Would be glad to pump you with info in the future if you need it. THANX for the help again, and Thanx DS for geting this Idea ROLLING !!!! Now i need to get back to work for "HUNTING $$" (I.E. Suburban $$ ;))

The last few days of the month are always tough for me to take off, as that is our busiest time. Looking at a 2003 calendar, something like the 18th or 19th through the 27th works best for me.

The Small unit deal works well, because when you guys bail, we still have a hunt! :D

We need to figure 9-10 days........to travel each way, and 5-6 to hunt. My unit is set...Me, Indy and Jason Lee.....

Moosie and Cali make up the next unit, so they will decide who goes with them.

I will share all the details and plans with whom ever wants to go. And just because our unit will kill all the big shit, ....doesn't mean you guys won't have fun too! :D ;)

I wasn't trying to still your thunder from the 2004 trip Moosie, but me and Indy had already put plans in the works for this trip this next year, so when I saw you guys planning some more expensive fly-in hunts, I thought it may be of interest and surely don't mind sharing the info as there are millions of acres of tundra, so overcrowding will be a non issue. We will just spread out 10-15 miles between rigs when we are hunting and we will never feel the pressure from other groups. We can meet back up at night fall for tall tales and cold drinks ;)

..sounds like a plan....
DS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I wasn't trying to still your thunder from the 2004 trip Moosie, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> And just because our unit will kill all the big shit <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:rolleyes:

HAHA.. sounds like Money needs to be put on this.....

Moosie

The pleasure is all mine. I have a feeling I'll be needing the wisdom of you and many of the others here in the near future.

Other things to think about...

The Dalton bou hunt is a popular hunt for residents and nonresidents alike. My experience has always been if you go during moose season (most places are from Sept 1-10 or 1-20) you will most likely OWN the road.

However, a truly beautiful caribou mount is one that is a later season bou. The later you go, the more longer the hair will be. The mane will be long and bright white, and you will most likely see less scars from all the biting they do. Flies and skeeters normally do a good job of dining on bou throughout the summer.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-14-2002 19:52: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

We're thinking along the lines of the last two weeks of September.....between the 15th and 30th...sounds like the 15th hits Cali better.

Myself, I plan not to have a bou mounted, but rather do a European mount. I have all my mounts in storage now....no game room since moving to Co...so it would be stupid to keep having mounts done. I just kept the rack from that big muley last year..no mount, but maybe sometime in the future ;)

But some of the guys (like Oscar) will surely want to consider this if they are planning a head mount. But I have seen some european mounts of bou and they look great...and take up a lot less room ;)

I won't take your money Oscar....your gonna feel bad enough just having to look at that big phucker I'm gonna take :cool:

And the guy spells his name Ovis....not "Orvis" :rolleyes:
DS

()ELL HELL... ORvis and me go ()AY back DS !!! He's let me call him that since.... OHHH hell ho() long has it been Orvis ?!?! .... I'm guessing ()ay back since 08-14-2002 10:30 ;) HAHA

Seriously though, DS is right.. I'm looking to put a 'BOU up on the ()all.... I got lots of space and need to get soemthing up there..... Unsuccessful hunters like me ()ith only a Mouse that I've kilt needs to have something up there besides a stupid little MOUSE :eek: .... :D I ()ould like One euro mount for my SHOP, and one shoulder for the living room.....

It ()ill go good next to my 6point ELK form Idaho and 6 point elk from Montana this year :D.... AND that 7' Black bear from Sask. next year too.... UHhh Come to think of it, ()ith the full black bear mount I already have... 2 moose mounts, deer, bear, elk, chamoise, 1/2 body Tahr.... Uhhhh MAybe I don't have any room.... LOOKS like I'll need a ne() house.. DAM !! This trip ()ill cost me a lot.. First the ne() suburban and no a ne() house.... OHHH ()ell... For the fun of it , It()ill be ()orth it :D :D

Kinda what I was thinking Cali! :rolleyes: ....but I think he likes posting it that way......kinda resembles a womans crotch! :eek:

And Ovis, good to see you have a sense of humor as well..........it will surely come in handy around here. :cool:
DS

A 'bou sure makes an impressive mount. DS has seen mine from Quebec and it sure fills up the spot above the fireplace!

I'll do a Euro mount if I stick something real spectacular but I'm interested in a couple hides... and, spending a week alone with DS and Jason Lee of course!

I think I would do a European mount. I will already have a 6x6 elk over the fireplace, and while I have a lot of high ceilings, it may just begin to become too much of a good thing to have shoulder mounts of everything I shoot!

I know what you mean Cali.......if I had a mount of everything I shot a load in, I would be in deep schit! :eek: ......or is that shot a load in everything I mounted :confused: ....either way sounds dangerous :D

....and yes, Mr. Indy Jay.....I have seen your mount and what an impressive mount it is sir! ;)
DS

Gents,
as a three time haul road veteran myself, I concur with Ovis' advice. I would like to add a little as well. Bring ankle-fit hip-boots--its wet more places than its not and sun glasses--if its clear and there's any snow at all you'll go blind from glare in two days. You might consider bear spray too. I've seen grizzly's within rifle range each time(but I wuz bowhuntin'). Make sure one of your clothing layers stops wind.

Bring lots of high calorie food and eat good. You guys are leaning towards the end of Sept. and although its a good time to hunt that's when the "slope" gets the majority of its snow for the season. Between the wind, cold and work you guys will be cold.

If you do rent truck campers and drive up, my favorite place to camp is in the gravel pit next to the Sagwon D.O.T. way-station. You may want to consider a small raft for crossing the Sag river (its real name is the Sag-a-van-irk-tok). If you're going to cruise the road looking for bou pay close attention to the east, specifically at the far bank of the Sag. Careful glassing will reveal narrow trails down some of the many gullies leading to the river. Usually there's a coordinating trail leading up the other bank but you can't see it from your vantage point. If any in the group are stand-hunters and don't mind a walk of up to a mile every day for up to several in a row, there are quite a few good ambush spots along the Sag.

For your trip up (and back) if you drive. Just north of the South Fork, Koyukuk River
bridge(about 25 miles south of Coldfoot), on the east side of the road is an old gravel quarry. There's a short, steep access road leading into it. The overgrown slopes to the south and east are thick with blueberries the size of dimes. If you are there around mid Sept and have the time to wait out an evening you will probably get a stalk on a decent bear. And the grayling fishing in any of the creeks along that stretch of the road is awesome.

Finally, you probably already know BUT non-resident hunters can't take Dall sheep or griz without a registered guide. And your two caribou limit is one bull from July 1 to Sept 30 and one bull from Oct 1 to Apr 30.

Be carefull about hunting too late--the rut starts around the 10th of Oct and while there are some dandy bulls to be had, rutty caribou meat is NASTY! I don't know why but it just is. If you plan on "donating" some to save on shipping weight most locals won't take caribou killed after the first week of Oct.

Good luck
Erik

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-16-2002 23:06: Message edited by: Erik in AK ]</font>

Erik,

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm writing notes down on hardcopy. On the non-res caribou limit, I'm not sure I'm understanding the bottom line. From the the f&g regulations I understood two caribou with out the mentioned time frames. With a 'bou tag you could tag a black bear if desired. I'll look into it more.

Thanks,

T-Bone

Thanks Eric.......especially on the tip for the blackie spot. I am cut and pasting all the info from everyone(with real knowledge ;) ) on this trip. I have already cleared it with the wife so there will be at least one of us up there next year for the test drive :D
DS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back