Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Has Cabelas gone down hill?

Well I got the Bass Pro / Cabelas Fathers Day sale as in the mail yesterday and it has lame dad jokes printed in it so yea it has gone downhill. šŸ˜‚

Our local store is not good compared to Sportsman and Scheels. The retail space was half empty last time I was there, and no one knew where things were. The guns & ammo section was busy, but understaffed. Had to pull a number to even get help on the floor. At least we have options here and can go to Sportsman and Scheels.

I am sorry to say they are not even the same company. They no longer sell their outfitter tent and are quickly turning into the ā€œWalmartā€ of hunting stores. I will still go to get a few perishable things (powder, bullets, targets) but will not buy big items from them anymore. It really is sad to see what has happened to them.

The best thing Cabelas has going for them is the Cyber Monday sale after Thanksgiving. Combined with active junky and their credit card, you can get up to 35-40% off (some of that in points) on everything on their site. Well except for ammo and maybe a few big things. A friend and I each bought Swarovski spotters 2 years ago and we each saved $1,200-$1,500. It is pretty much impossible to get that anywhere else. Bought some big ticket items last year as well on some stuff that rarely goes on sale and saved a ton.

Haters carry on...

I found that they had .308 ammo in stock, so I ordered 3 boxes. Not fancy stuff, just enough to make sure that anyone hunting with this gun can shoot a couple of shots at the range to feel like they are comfortable with the gun/scope. Paid for the order, and then got the email about an hour later that they thanked me for the order, and to let me know that they were processing and preparing for shipping.........

Next morning the cancellation email from Cabelas is sitting there. In store, in store pick up and ship to address all "out of stock" status.

If you don't have it in stock, don't show is as available on your website. It is 2021 and supply inventory should be able to be reflected immediately on your website to prevent these things happening over and over.......(third time in the last year for this scenario to play out at my expense)
There is a DUNHUMS store near me that last week had about 20 boxes of Remington 308 not sure what grain. I could check on them if it would help you?

There is a DUNHUMS store near me that last week had about 20 boxes of Remington 308 not sure what grain. I could check on them if it would help you?

@Corn king 60 a very nice gesture.....thanks.

I walked into the Wichita Cabelas and on a rolling rack right at the entrance flanked by an employee on either side sat some boxes of ammunition. I scanned on my way past and saw that there were 3 boxes of Winchester 150gr and when I left the rack there was only one left. I now have firing range ammo for any in our group who would want to borrow the gun for practice.

Cabela's will be out of business within 2 years. Hot garbage now.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. Years ago when I was a receiving clerk at a grocery store Frito-Lay bought Bell Brand chips just to get rid of the competition.

@Corn king 60 a very nice gesture.....thanks.

I walked into the Wichita Cabelas and on a rolling rack right at the entrance flanked by an employee on either side sat some boxes of ammunition. I scanned on my way past and saw that there were 3 boxes of Winchester 150gr and when I left the rack there was only one left. I now have firing range ammo for any in our group who would want to borrow the gun for practice.
Your welcome if I can help let me know

Is it just me or has Cabelas really gone hill in recent in years of quality name brands and competitive pricing?

Yes considerably. It got way worse when Bass Pro acquired them.

Last edited:
I used to love to go to Cabelas, like a kid in a candy store. I always preferred Cabelas over Bass Pro, but since the merge I think they are one in the same. Maybe different brands at each but it just isn't the same place anymore. It is 5 hours in two opposite directions to two Cabelas and one Bass Pro, and I seldom ever even stop when passing through anymore. I also think the online sales tax has hurt them all. Used to be able to buy online cheaper than in store if you watched shipping, not anymore.

Our local store is not good compared to Sportsman and Scheels. The retail space was half empty last time I was there, and no one knew where things were. The guns & ammo section was busy, but understaffed. Had to pull a number to even get help on the floor. At least we have options here and can go to Sportsman and Scheels.
We just had a Scheels store open up by us and I'll drive the extra 15 minutes rather than going to Cabela's. They actually have relevant hunting gear/clothing.

I think that hunters expectations have changed as gear improves. Smaller companies that are more agile and are better suited to keep up. It used to be cool to be able to aquire hard to obtain quality hunting gear in one spot. Now that they are trying to be everything to everyone, it's more of a place to get gadgit type items.

Iā€™d way rather hit Scheels than Cabelaā€™s BUT Cabelaā€™s does have a handful of exclusive patterns (colors) for the Berkley Flicker Shads so they do get some business from me. Other than that, donā€™t shop their at all.

Kind of sad. I remember spending hours reading the master catalogs that came every six months or so.

I think for me the decline started when they went public about 15 years ago; they seemed more concerned about stock prices than keeping inventory. Then the final blow was when BPS took over. I used to buy their Cabela's brand shirts to wear to the office (still have a couple), but once they were replaced with the Readhead brand the quality took a gigantic downturn. Haven't bought anything from them in three or four years now.

I used to buy their Cabela's brand shirts to wear to the office (still have a couple), but once they were replaced with the Readhead brand the quality took a gigantic downturn. Haven't bought anything from them in three or four years now.
Whatā€™s the matter? These too casual for casual Friday? 61CB566C-A57E-46AA-AADC-C0A541620601.jpeg

Back