Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hard Question Follow Up

Have you taken a shot that didn't go as planned or you regretted?

• Yes, missed the animal completely

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • Yes, Wounded the animal without recovery

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Yes, Wounded the animal with recovery

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • No, good shots all around

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

SD_Prairie_Goat

Interesting thread that one. To follow up on it, I'm curious who has taken a shot that didn't go as planned?

For me, I've rushed a couple of shots that ended up requiring a follow up shot to deal a lethal shot. I'm not perfect and try to learn from those times.

Anyone else?

I think anyone who has hunted for any amount of time has likely experienced each of those scenarios. Hunting is an adventure compiled of less than ideal scenarios and conditions. Rarely do things go perfectly.

I shot a bull once with my bow who jumped the string and I hit him in the backstrap. Sucks? Absolutely! But literally everything in that scenario was perfect except I didn't anticipate that happening (obviously). Wasn't a lethal shot but still made me sick. And no, I didn't punch my tag, I was on a shopping trip and needed to fill the freezer.

Yep, all it takes is the critter to wiggle just a little as you’re completing the trigger press. Increase flight time and other variables your well planned shot is less than perfect.
Assuming you have an efficient nervous system, fast hands so to speak, you need 3/4 of a second for a stimulant to be recognized By your brain and your trigger finger to respond.
A bad hit doesn’t equal a bad decision necessarily.

Took some friends to Lana'i once and the subject of bad hits came up the day before our hunt.
One guy was bashing us for having confessed to bad hits and said that he never missed the boiler room and there was no excuse for not putting the arrow on the mark. We all laughed at him and said "Your day will come"
The next day as we each told our story of the day's hunt he was unusually quiet. When we pressed him about it he sheepishly confessed that he had gut shot an axis doe and lost her.

Never. I am perfect in all aspects of hunting and life in general. I plan on moving to Wyoming soon, start a social media company to show the world how great I am. I will devote my life to putting others down in order to build myself up.
Ha! I see what you did there.

Took some friends to Lana'i once and the subject of bad hits came up the day before our hunt.
One guy was bashing us for having confessed to bad hits and said that he never missed the boiler room and there was no excuse for not putting the arrow on the mark. We all laughed at him and said "Your day will come"
The next day as we each told our story of the day's hunt he was unusually quiet. When we pressed him about it he sheepishly confessed that he had gut shot an axis doe and lost her.
You know it really sucks when it happens. I try to learn from those mistakes and be better.

For example, I've learned if I rush my trigger pull I will always pull to the left. And even though it seems like an easy shot if I rush the pull and just slap the trigger it will end badly.

Now I always concentrate on slowly pulling the trigger.

To quote the oldest gentleman in our hunting group- "Show me a man thats never missed an animal or lost one, and I'll show you one that hasn't shot at many"

Our numbers look like this: Over the last 4 seasons we've taken an average of 28 whitetail deer per year off about 850 acres. 8-10 hunters across all seasons from Oct-Jan. Some years a single hunter will have double digit harvests and some will have zero. We miss a few every year and probably one or two goes injured/unrecovered. Most of my misses come in flintlock season, I suck with that thing.

Circa Early 2000’s, San Diego county, the plan was solid, we had gained permission to 80 acres that bordered the turkey ladies house by enticing the landowner with vodka and ribeye. Set our decoys just outside the legal range from a inhabited structure on the fence line but it would archery only so as not to alert the turkey lady to our antics as we had a plan to remove as many gobblers as possible because for known/unknown reasons all turkey within 100 miles loved her property. It all came together just after sunrise when a trophy longboard stepped through the fence, I came to full draw with my bowtech assasin and let the muzzy broadhead fly. The hit looked good, the turkey flew 10 feet in the air and ran straight to the turkey ladies porch and proceeded to do back flips shooting more blood than a turkey should have all over the place. It was terrible, on the window, the railings, the floor, pretty sure it was even on the ceiling. We thought it was dead, went to her door, got yelled at, went to go get it, and it resurrected and flew on to her Honda losing another 25 quarts of blood before we caught it and ring its neck. Traumatic experience for us all, her husband bob was cool about it. We all learn from our mistakes.

Last edited:
Never. I am perfect in all aspects of hunting and life in general. I plan on moving to Wyoming soon, start a social media company to show the world how great I am. I will devote my life to putting others down in order to build myself up.
Keep Hammering Cam!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

I could paint you a detailed photo of each of my fups. They become experience but I don’t forget. My percentage is very low but I remember every one. I am often surprised when poachers just can’t remember where they shot an animal.
I think I could take you to every kill site I have had, at least big game, and I could take you back to each of my lost fup.

I think anyone who has hunted for any amount of time has likely experienced each of those scenarios. Hunting is an adventure compiled of less than ideal scenarios and conditions. Rarely do things go perfectly.

I shot a bull once with my bow who jumped the string and I hit him in the backstrap. Sucks? Absolutely! But literally everything in that scenario was perfect except I didn't anticipate that happening (obviously). Wasn't a lethal shot but still made me sick. And no, I didn't punch my tag, I was on a shopping trip and needed to fill the freezer.
I killed a bull with an arrow shaft stuck in his back.

Was it a 320ish 6x7 with a royal that split at the base?

Large 5x5

I've been hunting long enough to have had each one happen, live and learn.

Last fall, I shot high and broke it’s back without killing it swiftly. I had a follow up shot that finished him. I didn’t compensate for the angle. I beat myself up for it. Still makes me feel bad.

Last fall, I shot high and broke it’s back without killing it swiftly. I had a follow up shot that finished him. I didn’t compensate for the angle. I beat myself up for it. Still makes me feel bad.
Been there done that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back