Hanging Food

Muskeez

Leaving in 30 days for Northern CO, first elk hunt, archery OTC. 2 greenhorns from Iowa backpacking in to fulfill a dream we've had for 35 years. We surely will have a lot of learning experiences, but you guys have really helped with a lot of my research. So, here's the next question, how do you hang your food at night or when you are away from your campsite? Any tricks on how and where to hoist it up and away from any black bears that would want a free meal? Thanks again folks!
Clayton

Leaving in 30 days for Northern CO, first elk hunt, archery OTC. 2 greenhorns from Iowa backpacking in to fulfill a dream we've had for 35 years. We surely will have a lot of learning experiences, but you guys have really helped with a lot of my research. So, here's the next question, how do you hang your food at night or when you are away from your campsite? Any tricks on how and where to hoist it up and away from any black bears that would want a free meal? Thanks again folks!
Clayton

We always take a good size pulley, couple of ropes, and some carabiners. Usually run everything up 10ft or so. ( usually out away form the tree itself as far as the limb will allow). Always worked for us. Good luck, can't wait to see some pics and hear about the trip. RJ

Hey Muskeez - i live here, and do plenty of packing and camping. Would not worry about hangin food. ***Just make certain you hang your meat well! I have had bears hit hanging quarters but never been in my camp gear or food? Maybe I am lucky.
>>>Camp robbers etc will / may account for stealing more.

GOOD LUCK!
Go Cyclones.

For blacks, you need to be away from tree limbs.

For grizz and blacks, food needs to be at least 10' above ground.

I bought a couple of small pulleys and a caribeener to clip to food bag. Para cord.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.. but camp robbers??? do you mean "hunters" that help themselves to other people's gear? I have spent a metric butt load of money on gear to get started doing western hunts this year and in the future...I invested in good equipment so that I won't have to upgrade later on too many pieces... I can not afford to loose it to some P.O.S. Is this a common problem? We will be hunting somewhere within 75 miles of Steamboat Springs. Any suggestions on how to prevent such a problem. I am very trusting of fellow man, I would hope I wouldn't have to worry about crooks in the mountains more than I do in my neighborhood.

Hahaha!!

too funny! I told you it was our first trip... Never hear of a bird named "Camp Robber"! Thanks for another nugget of info!

camp robbers a.k.a. gray jays!

not to worry yet regarding real camp robbers....however, crime rate is increasing dramatically, so is our traffic, graffiti and other crapola. ..............out-a-staters. (termed : californicated)

We hunt from a large tent (12X20) base camp and have never taken any precautions. Never had any problems (sound of knocking on wood). We always keep our food in storage boxes and coolers inside the tent and keep the garbage cleaned up, burned and buried. I think a clean camp and the human stink will keep most bears from getting too curious.

LOL - ya, "language barrier" sometimes on opposite sides of the MO river. I sure hope you guys appreciate your address. Us "Easterners" often just dream of getting to do for one week what you guys do every fall. Life is good! Can't wait to get there and be one of those annoying NR trucks parked at the trailhead. :D - Thank you for sharing what God made for all of us! Gonna be some nights of little sleep this next month!

lol. yes those birds will clean you out if you let them. ( Whiskey Jack, Canada Jay, Grey Jay,) tons of names for the same bird. They aren't afraid of much thats for sure. We were hunting elk in the Never Summer one year and stopped for a lunch break and a nap, my buddy was asleep and I was tossing pieces of those nasty a** grape Power Bars all around him. . .they were driving him nuts!!! Yes, I'm that kind of a friend! :D

Hunting in grizzly and black bear country, I am pretty particular about hanging food bags well away from my shelter, and high enough to keep an agile, curious black bear out of my food. Since we pack in on foot every ounce of gear and food, I can't afford to have my chow torn up and eaten on day two of a hunt.
That being said, I use a lightweight waterproof roll-top bag that holds all food, including the stove/pot/spork, and hoist it up with 550 paracord clipped to a small carabiner. Garbage from meals is either burned, but typically I take along a gallon Ziploc just for that reason -- smash it down, and seal it up. It goes up in the bag as well. I built a small "bear bag" kit, which is about 50' of cord, a small stuff sack (4" x 5" inches, cinch cord closure) that holds a rock or two for the "huck" up and over a limb. I tie it off well to the side and rather high up, and have had no issues on many hunts.

This is an alternate technique I have seen used for backpacking trips, etc., but have not tried it. Apparently the benefit is you eliminate the tied off cord, which could potentially get pawed at, chewed, etc. and then the carefully hung food bag comes down in the lap of a bear, ready to chow down on.

Here is the idea: http://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/hanging-a-bear-bag-the-pct-method/

Anyone try this method?

I'm used the method Bozone mentioned and never had a problem (even in highly populated grizzly areas). Also, don't forget to put your 'scent-away' items in your bear bag. The one time I didn't, had a grizz come in and tore everything up that had the scent spray on it. Didn't even touch the meat game bags though.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back