Hammers continue to impress

It will most likely have difficulty stabilizing. You quite possibly will shoot oblong holes. The min recommended twist rates are truly min. Particularly with the long for caliber bullets. Higher stability aids in terminal performance as well. I like my hunting rigs running closer to 2.0 sg if possible.

Why not just make all rifles 1 in 6 then... I've tried to googled twist rates and conceptually I get it but haven't seen examples of over or under twisting bullets + the down range effect.

Why not just make all rifles 1 in 6 then... I've tried to googled twist rates and conceptually I get it but haven't seen examples of over or under twisting bullets + the down range effect.
Jacketed bullets will have a hard time holding together with too much twist. Also too fast a twist does have one draw back that it will add a bit more torque to the rifle recoil. As a general rule with bullets like the Hammers there is no down side to faster twist. When the vast majority of rifle cartridges were designed there was no such thing as long for caliber bullets or lead free bullets. Bullets have come a long way in the last 10 years. Rifles are catching up.

Did you attempt to measure center to center and then subtract .338? At least on the first group you could easily fit another bullet between the two farthest apart with room to spare. That group is over .700” center to center. You measure outside to outside, then subtract bullet diameter to get center to center. Not trying to beat you up. Might have just been a brain fart. I have them all the time.

What am I doing wrong?CEAA26CC-9F5E-45AB-8156-0EFD909BB1CB.jpeg
7154C807-DCEE-45B3-B767-64C0D8F7A52A.jpeg

Last edited:

I’m glad you posted the picture or we wouldn’t have figured it out. You only measured the horizontal component, and didn’t measure the two that were the farthest apart. You draw a line through the center of the two bullet holes that are farthest apart, measure along that line from outside to outside, and then subtract bullet diameter. If you rotated the calipers to measure those two holes along the lines that connected their centers, you’d get a larger number. Again, you also measured the wrong two holes.

If you want to measure center to center directly, place the points of the calipers directly in the centers of the two holes, and you’ll get a very different number from .579”.

It’s also possible that your paper leaving a smaller than .338” hole, which could be compounding the issue slightly.

Attachments

• F979757E-06DE-406D-89F9-748E7F4474CC.jpeg
    F979757E-06DE-406D-89F9-748E7F4474CC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
I’m glad you posted the picture or we wouldn’t have figured it out. You only measured the horizontal component, and didn’t measure the two that were the farthest apart. You draw a line through the center of the two bullet holes that are farthest apart, measure along that line from outside to outside, and then subtract bullet diameter. If you rotated the calipers to measure those two holes along the lines that connected their centers, you’d get a larger number. Again, you also measured the wrong two holes.

If you want to measure center to center directly, place the points of the calipers directly in the centers of the two holes, and you’ll get a very different number from .579”.

It’s also possible that your paper leaving a smaller than .338” hole, which could be compounding the issue slightly.

Gotcha

I tried the 137 Hammers in my 26 Nosler (with a 1 in 7 twist) and they tumbled into the target sideways.
Steve said the 131's would do better, but while waiting on them, I tuned up my 140 AB load and wasn't sure I have time to start working with the 131's but you all may have convinced me to make the time. What to do? This will be for elk later this year in MT.

Also, I have used an app called 'Range Buddy' where you take a picture of the target and set the scale to something (usually the 1" dot) and enter bullet diameter and 'place' the holes and it will give you group size as well as other info.
shot_1531086198261.jpg shot_1531265733461.jpg

I bought a bunch of them to try with my 7mm08. I was surprised at how big my groups were with Varget and stopped when I got "down" to 1.5" groupings, most were approaching 3". I was freaking out and put my Barnes back in and was at MOA or better again to my relief. Something's up, but I will have to give them another try after hunting season, meaning my dreams of using them this fall are out the window.

I bought a bunch of them to try with my 7mm08. I was surprised at how big my groups were with Varget and stopped when I got "down" to 1.5" groupings, most were approaching 3". I was freaking out and put my Barnes back in and was at MOA or better again to my relief. Something's up, but I will have to give them another try after hunting season, meaning my dreams of using them this fall are out the window.
Sounds like they don't like Varget. mtmuley

Sounds like they don't like Varget. mtmuley

Yeah, I'll try again but was optimistic since others had great luck with varget, in the same caliber. Who knows, it may have been a bad range day for me, too, or just a finicky lightweight rifle, but I won't find out for about four weeks from now.

Call me. 4062610010

Bullets do not like or dislike a powder. Something else was probably the culprit. Adjusting seating depth, neck tension, or velocity(powder charge) adjustment might help.

I have found that many powders do not like to be shot over other powders. It often requires a barrel cleaning or a number of rounds to be fired before groups go back to normal after changing powders. I’ve never heard of it, but it’s possible that the same holds for jacket/bullet material. If the Barnes and Hammer alloys are enough different, the fouling caused by shooting one through dirty barrel after shooting the other might cause issue. A good scrubbing with a copper solvent might fix it right up.

Sometimes a certain powder just doesn’t work with a given bullet/cartridge combo. Switching powders can produce much better results. Seems like it’s mainly due to the powders burn rate and pressure curve it produces in the cartridge. I have found this is much more common in factory chambered rifles than customs though.

Sometimes a certain powder just doesn’t work with a given bullet/cartridge combo. Switching powders can produce much better results. Seems like it’s mainly due to the powders burn rate and pressure curve it produces in the cartridge. I have found this is much more common in factory chambered rifles than customs though.
I agree. I've run into powders that wouldn't work with a certain bullet lots of times. Sometimes no amount of tinkering will help. mtmuley

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back