Hammers continue to impress

brockel

Hammer bullet impress the hell out of me on how easy they are to get to shoot. This is the 4th gun I’ve tried them in and all seem to dial in extremely easy. This is from a Remington AWR 338 win mag topped with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40. I bedded the rifle and installed a trigger tech trigger.

Shot 4,5,6
ACD7C885-DC83-41A4-B96F-150F6ED7D80D.jpeg

Shot 7,8,9
D2606B00-9E27-4666-A83E-2CA165EA68F1.jpeg

Shot 10,11,12
22FF736A-E535-4221-A262-1A26CC78DF87.jpeg

A little more playing and I could probably get it dialed into a one hole group but I’ll probably just run it and bang steel till season starts. May have to use it on an antelope in a little over a month.
52741120-52FA-4783-991F-5ADAF3DF552E.jpeg

Those AWRs are really starting to shine! I should spend some money I don't have and snag one!
I’ve owned two and both have shot good. The grayboe stock that comes on them is pretty good. The coating they put on the meta is strong

Did you attempt to measure center to center and then subtract .338? At least on the first group you could easily fit another bullet between the two farthest apart with room to spare. That group is over .700” center to center. You measure outside to outside, then subtract bullet diameter to get center to center. Not trying to beat you up. Might have just been a brain fart. I have them all the time.

A quick note on terminal performance with Hammers. The bull I shot this year was quartered hard to me, not quite full frontal at about 300 yards. The 136 grain Sledge Hammer went in on the point of the near shoulder and exited out the offside flank behind the last rib. Massive blood trail. Like you had a bucket and a roller type trail.

@mtmuley @RockyMtnMT

A quick note on terminal performance with Hammers. The bull I shot this year was quartered hard to me, not quite full frontal at about 300 yards. The 136 grain Sledge Hammer went in on the point of the near shoulder and exited out the offside flank behind the last rib. Massive blood trail. Like you had a bucket and a roller type trail.

@mtmuley @RockyMtnMT

JLS, is that 136 gr Hammer out of a 7mm? I've got a 7RM Browning Xbolt with a 9.5 twist, not sure the 143s will stabilize. I should just call and talk to them.

I'm in the same boat as wilm1313, I've got a good load developed with a 139gr Barnes LRX (65.8gr RL 23, 3200 FPS, 26"). I've been practicing this summer but I'm down to 22 rounds. I've been itching to switch to Hammers but I'm not sure I have time to do load development now before antelope opens. Decisions, decisions...

JLS, is that 136 gr Hammer out of a 7mm? I've got a 7RM Browning Xbolt with a 9.5 twist, not sure the 143s will stabilize. I should just call and talk to them.

I'm in the same boat as wilm1313, I've got a good load developed with a 139gr Barnes LRX (65.8gr RL 23, 3200 FPS, 26"). I've been practicing this summer but I'm down to 22 rounds. I've been itching to switch to Hammers but I'm not sure I have time to do load development now before antelope opens. Decisions, decisions...

It’s a .280 Remington. Call them. We decided my gun wouldn’t reliably stabilize the 143 Hunters, and it really didn’t matter. The Sledge Hammers are great. I had a sub MOA load done in about 20 rounds.

It’s a .280 Remington. Call them. We decided my gun wouldn’t reliably stabilize the 143 Hunters, and it really didn’t matter. The Sledge Hammers are great. I had a sub MOA load done in about 20 rounds.

How hard are those twist rates? Like if you put a 1 in 8 bullet in a 1 in 9 gun is it an extra 1 MOA off or is it like 9 MOA off? Any idea?

How hard are those twist rates? Like if you put a 1 in 8 bullet in a 1 in 9 gun is it an extra 1 MOA off or is it like 9 MOA off? Any idea?
It will most likely have difficulty stabilizing. You quite possibly will shoot oblong holes. The min recommended twist rates are truly min. Particularly with the long for caliber bullets. Higher stability aids in terminal performance as well. I like my hunting rigs running closer to 2.0 sg if possible.

Back