Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

had to go get some chocolate this afternoon

sure i would love to tell you more about this little rifle . the sad thing is most guys would never even pick up a rifle like to hunt with . it does not say super mag or ultra mag anywhere on it so it must not be big enough to ever kill anything in the lower 48 where so many guys need a ultra mag to shoot a huge whitetail at 47 yrds from a treestand. thank god they have so many nice flat shooting rifles these day to make all those super long shots from tree stands. now that i got that off my chest lets see if i can shed some light on this fine little round and just how well it really works.

the rifle that i now have that is chambered for this round was custom build by a very good friend that left it to me when he passed away this time last year.
he started a ultra light arms model 20 single shot action then sent it to a good friend of our in texas [ triple G gunsmithing ] to have a krieger barrel installed after it was chambered for this round . the round is mostly just a 30 rem necked up to .358 . then after he got it back and installed a jewell trigger he took it to lone wolf and had a 12 oz. stock made for it to his specs.. he also had a set of custom neil jones loading dies made for it.

he then did alot of bullet testing over at my place. i have 100.200, and 300 yrd range outside my front door and also a small creek we use to soak phone books in to do our bullet penetration testing with. after all this testing was done he ended up with 3 bullets that did what he was looking for barnes TTSX 180 gr. , hornady FTX 200 gr. , and north fork 200 gr. as you can see in the pix that the 180 are also moving right along @ 2529 what is nice about this is all 3 of them have the same point of impact @ 200 yrds

now for how well it works.it has been very good with anything here in montana i have used it on from bear, mule deer, elk,and even a big huge almost hard to even kill white tail deer
my friend that had this build has taken it to africe and had great results there also
he has taken warthog,wildebeast, and kudu all with only 1 shot each.
i have also had the results with this little round. mild and light recoil and everything seems to die very fast with just 1 shot

Attachments

• 35-30 001.jpg
    35-30 001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 809
  • 35-30 006.jpg
    35-30 006.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 789
Way cool rifle and cartridge. How long are the cases? That may be nearly legal to use here in IN!

Way cool rifle and cartridge. How long are the cases? That may be nearly legal to use here in IN!

here it is next to a 358
the 35-30 in this pic is loaded with a TTSX 180 gr
the 358 is loaded with a 200 gr. nosler partition
both are close to 2.75 in in length

its big enough to kill any game animal in the lower 48 so why would it not be legal for use in IN. ?

Attachments

• 35-30 001.jpg
    35-30 001.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 35-30 002.jpg
    35-30 002.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 854
Thanks for the pics! It looks like with just a skosh of trimming it could be used here in IN. IN has, until relatively recently, been a shotgun slug and muzzleloader only state. The rifle rules have some very weird limits. Pretty much anything goes as long as the bullet is .35" or bigger and the case length can't be longer than 1.8". The rules pretty well include most all pistol cartridges to be used in rifles and with some creativity wildcats similar to what you show. The 358 WSSM and the 358 Hoosier are to more popular wildcats that have been developed.

those is some dumb ass rules the fish and game have set for the gun hunters there in IN.
but this round has a very long neck for being able to take a very wide range of 358 bullets
i think with very little change to the specs on this other then a shorter neck it would be at that 1.8 spec they ask for. here is a cpl pix to show it is right now full length of 1.992
and what it would look like taken down to that 1.800

the friend that built this rifle at 1 time did alot of deer hunting back east NJ,NY,maine with a little single shot rifle chambered in 357 mag. now this was all under 100 yrd shooting but he said with his reloads everything he shot with it died very fast with most falling inside of 50 yrds

Attachments

• length of 35-30 001.JPG
    length of 35-30 001.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 333
  • length of 35-30 002.jpg
    length of 35-30 002.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 307
Yep, with just a bit of trimming it'd work. Just like the 35 Remington. Yours is pretty similar to the 358 Hoosier, which is a shortened 358 WIn, but kept the same neck length. Pretty cool little thumper you have there.

PS- Gun season here opens in Nov, so just let me know when you want my address to test it out! ;) :D

you must have a rifle ready to rechamber for this round then :D
then order your dies and your half way there

i could even load a cpl dummy rounds for your gunsmith to work with
or you could use the same gunsmith that did this 1
i even have the reamer here and he could just cut the neck to a max of that 1.800 for you

Yep, with just a bit of trimming it'd work. Just like the 35 Remington. Yours is pretty similar to the 358 Hoosier, which is a shortened 358 WIn, but kept the same neck length. Pretty cool little thumper you have there.

PS- Gun season here opens in Nov, so just let me know when you want my address to test it out! ;) :D

i just tested it some more for you . this time on elk . yep works for the also

Attachments

• elk for 2013 season 005.jpg
    elk for 2013 season 005.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 257
Awesome! Congrats! I'm in the processing of putting things in motion to come up with something a bit similar. I'll be getting my 30-30 rebored to 35-30! Just a bit of trimming and I'll be legal. I'm hoping for 2100fps with a 200gr bullet. Should be about like a 35 Rem and work quite well for here.

it should be alot of fun for you back there. if you ever get tired of shooting those little deer bring it out west where we have a few things much bigger that little gun would work good on

Will do! I try to get out west as much as possible, but unfortunately that is usually just once per year. Having lived in UT for 9 years, I miss being "out there" more than many can fathom. When I make any progress on the project, I'll be sure to keep you updated.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back