Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Guitar in camp

Both of those Gibsons are likely over 1000 and depending on the year could be well beyond that. Do you know what year the Les Paul is?

The Martin's are likely in that ballpark too especially that d35 maybe a bit more.

I'm thinking you should just learn to play guitar then you'll already have a top of the line arsenal to choose from.
355 is very well north of 1k, probably 2500 at the low end. It’s always been a dream guitar of mine, black or red with a Lyre (or Bigsby). Stereo output would be a cherry on top. Haven’t been able to dedicate the funds for one, but do have a lovely SG and a 60s Gibson acoustic.
@wllm1313 I could decode when it was made from the serial, depending on the year and condition it could be very valuable. Keep them humidified properly.

I’ve been playing for about 30 years (feels weird saying it, hadn’t thought about how long I’ve been picking strings). Scales are very useful to know, starting out you will probably have more fun learning a song or two and then expand from there. The clumsiness can be frustrating at first, just keep playing and focus on finger placement. Slow and precise, once you get it down then increase the tempo. Tablature can be pretty useful for learning songs early on. A good teacher can expedite the learning process. Depending on the style of music you like you’ll probably want to learn the scales commonly used in that genre first.

I don’t bring guitars to camp, but I wouldn’t bring an expensive one if I did. Just bring an old pawn shop beater that can hold tune.

A guitar coming out around a campfire kills conversation most of the time I have seen it. I just starting making noise with one 2 months ago and have no intension of playing for anyone but myself, or people who show up unexpected. I will say this, it sure has cut my TV watching time by 95% though... At least I am doing something more worthwhile than that brain suck TV. regarding the above post, I thought of something I would like to try, go buy the cheapest POS one you can find, show up at a crowded campfire, butcher a song and say "Damn I suck" and watch peoples faces as you toss it on the campfire as firewood.

It will probably take a better part of a year to be playing proficiently. I will make you a deal, a video song for the les Paul and I will buy you a CO OTC elk tag.
I mean I'll do you one better, can video myself thumping out a few John Paul Jones lines for a mule deer tag 🤣

My advice:

Tune and restring often, especially when you're first starting out. The better it sounds, the longer you'll practice and the better you'll get

Practice the right way. Use your pinky, play with a metronome, etc... I had a lot of bad habits that took extra time to relearn after the 1st few months of being self taught

Play with other people as much as you can. It'll help you learn what you need to work on (rhythm, strumming etc.)

Learn songs. Don't just learn riffs

I recently picked up a new guitar to learn how to play. Thought it would be nice to be able to play a tune or two around the campfire. I’m not the most coordinated so this should be interesting. I was able to successfully murder twinkle twinkle last night. My kids thought it was cool and my wife didn’t laugh too much.

Anyone else here play, any tips?
I ay baritone ukulele a little bit. Focus on easy chords, G, C, A. D. Practice and have fun

Man your guys hunting camps are way more socializing than mine I guess. We get back to camp make some food, drink some water, pound a beer or two while reading a magazine and hit the cot. We probably say more words to each other during the night yelling at the other guy to shut the hell up when he’s snoring.

I usually take my Gibson acoustic with me when I go camping. Not really a "hunt camp" but more like a yearly fishing trip. I usually play it by the fire while I smoke a cigar. It's pretty relaxing and fun to jam to some tunes by the fire.

An old Fender, maybe a beat up Epi. But a Gibson? Geez, I hope it's not a collector!
You know, even Martin makes a "back packer" guitar.
LOL!

An old Fender, maybe a beat up Epi. But a Gibson? Geez, I hope it's not a collector!
You know, even Martin makes a "back packer" guitar.
LOL!
I have one acoustic. When I need an acoustic it's the one that goes, lol. It sounds really good, much better than any backpacker I have played. I have allot of guitars, but not what I would call a collection. I'm in Afghanistan right now with a Gibson Les Paul that I checked all the way here and plan on checking all the way home next week. If it gets broken, I'll glue it back together and keep on jamming with it.

Welcome to the next money pit. It's about basses for me.

Just never invite Kurt Russell to your hunting camp.
I'm no Les Paul or Chet Atkins, but I've got almost as much tied up in guitars as I do in firepower! LOL!

Again, as long as you don't pay an insane price, it's a good investment.
Last Martin I acquired (OMC-160GTE) was valued (online) at about $1500. Swapped a DIY AR15 (abt $650 value) straight up for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back