Guitar in camp

Man your guys hunting camps are way more socializing than mine I guess. We get back to camp make some food, drink some water, pound a beer or two while reading a magazine and hit the cot. We probably say more words to each other during the night yelling at the other guy to shut the hell up when he’s snoring.
I hear you. On my 2019 AK flyout caribou hunt, my buddy said that he was gonna bring a harmonica out to camp to play in the evenings. My response: "No you're not. I don't pay a couple thou to fly into the AK wilderness, to hear a sound that is intended for the city..."

^^ What MD said....In most of our camps it was pretty much subdued conversation and attuning to the solitude. A moment to shun the exterior world and embrace quiet. Punch a tag, or not, it didn't matter. The brain reset to 'Yer Good To Go'.

I recently picked up a new guitar to learn how to play. Thought it would be nice to be able to play a tune or two around the campfire. I’m not the most coordinated so this should be interesting. I was able to successfully murder twinkle twinkle last night. My kids thought it was cool and my wife didn’t laugh too much. C

Anyone else here play, any tips?
Curious if you are still at it and here is a tip...
I live out in the country and during the start of the lockdown I thought it would be fun to pick up but going into a guitar store wasnt practical. I ordered the same model you purchased on-line in Left hand (a handicap I have dealt with my whole life and don’t usually think about). It was just too big for me so returned it for a Fender CC 60S Concert. I kept at it long enough to developer calluses and learned a few cords but it was not a lot of fun.
I read about guitar Set-ups and while down south last winter I dropped it off at a well known guitar repair shop. They did a set-up and went a couple sizes lighter in strings. I was afraid it would sound too tinny but the owner picked it up and played and it sounds damn good for a beginner instrument (he was playing left handed but of course is a right handed player). To me the difference between a guitar player and someone that plays the guitar.
It was hard to accept paying nearly a third the cost of the guitar for this but what a big difference. It is now a different instrument and I am enjoying picking it up.
I’m in my 70’s and will never be a guitar player but it is fun playing the guitar. Same as my sax and ukulele.
I don’t like playing around others but being around someone that plays can teach you little things that make a difference.
Not bringing it to hunting camp but I have sat alone in the mountains and played my sax and ukulele many times and now my guitar. Or sat quietly and listened to that music.

Last edited:
Curious if you are still at it and here is a tip...
I live out in the country and during the start of the lockdown I thought it would be fun to pick up but going into a guitar store wasnt practical. I ordered the same model you purchased on-line in Left hand (a handicap I have dealt with my whole life and don’t usually think about). It was just too big for me so returned it for a Fender CC 60S Concert. I kept at it long enough to developer calluses and learned a few cords but it was not a lot of fun.
I read about guitar Set-ups and while down south last winter I dropped it off at a well known guitar repair shop. They did a set-up and went a couple sizes lighter in strings. I was afraid it would sound too tinny but the owner picked it up and played and it sounds damn good for a beginner instrument (he was playing left handed but of course is a right handed player). To me the difference between a guitar player and someone that plays the guitar.
It was hard to accept paying nearly a third the cost of the guitar for this but what a big difference. It is now a different instrument and I am enjoying picking it up.
I’m in my 70’s and will never be a guitar player but it is fun playing the guitar. Same as my sax and ukulele.
I don’t like playing around others but being around someone that plays can teach you little things that make a difference.
Not bringing it to hunting camp but I have sat alone in the mountains and played my sax and ukulele many times and now my guitar. Or sat quietly and listened to that music.
I’m still at it, I’m trying to get my transition between cords down. I’ve been playing every day for 10-20 min.

I’m still at it, I’m trying to get my transition between cords down. I’ve been playing every day for 10-20 min.
I do, uhhmmm....okay. I know a few songs. A few I can play with no help.
My "mentor" has a very good ear and helps me play songs that have chords I don't recognize! 🤯!
He can simplify a song until just about anybody can play it!

Back