Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Guitar in camp

Addicting

I recently picked up a new guitar to learn how to play. Thought it would be nice to be able to play a tune or two around the campfire. I’m not the most coordinated so this should be interesting. I was able to successfully murder twinkle twinkle last night. My kids thought it was cool and my wife didn’t laugh too much.

Anyone else here play, any tips?

That's awesome welcome to yet another addiction. There's all kinds of videos on YouTube, some trash and some really good. For just starting out I think Marty Schwartz has some great stuff and really breaks it down for whatever level your at. Search Marty Music for his channel, he has a whole beginner series and sets of song lessons.

Just like rifles you will end up buying more guitars. A guitar for this a guitar for that. Not sure how nice you went on the first one but for a camp guitar I'd suggest having that be your knock around guitar. Something you don't mind getting banged up a little and the cheaper guitars hold up better to environmental changes.

Most of all have fun!

Fender CD-60S Solid Top Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar​

Not sure why this is bolded.
Nice guitar! Solid spruce top 👌 That'll age nice. Great price point too That'll make a hell of a camp guitar.

The cheaper laminate pressed guitar tops are a little more durable with temp and humidity but youll be able to tell the difference in sound after playing the guitar you have. Go with a case and you should be golden.

I played drums for a long time, sold my last kit about 25 years ago... give me a guitar and you might as well have handed me a canoe paddle🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s me... rhythm is fine, finger tips have very little feeling from years of old style chainsaws (pre shock absorbing handles)

A campfire ain't no place for a $1500 Martin for sure! I don't care HOW good it sounds! LOL!

Here's how I went about it.
First, I didn't even start with a guitar until I was 60 years old!
I bought my first, a Kona at a local M&P store. The owner got me started.
He also sponsors an "acoustic only" jam session every Thursday.
Experienced players are like experienced reloaders. They love to share.
Go to jam sessions and watch others play. Take your guitar, watch everyone else. Mimic them.
DON'T GIVE UP!
No matter HOW bad it sounds, just keep pecking (picking?) away at it. You'll get there.
You may never be a Chet Atkins, but you can make yourself happy! LOL!
Try some lessons.
Pick up some "fake note" music books! Work great for beginning guitarists.

YouTube is the place how for free lessons. A lot of those guys that teach on their are really good. After playing more days than not for 18 years I still get on YouTube and learn stuff. You can search specifically for songs you wanna learn by name. For a beginner you can even search for easier versions of songs you wanna learn. They sometimes break down hard songs into more beginner versions that will go just find around a campfire.

I was on a camping trip once where someone was playing a melodica (think air powered keyboard toy, see below) for hours each evening in camp. Might be the only thing more annoying than a camp guitar. Radio and nature sounds for me.

1616014375070.png

There is always that guy that has to break out a guitar at camp.
I was on a camping trip once where someone was playing a melodica (think air powered keyboard toy, see below) for hours each evening in camp. Might be the only thing more annoying than a camp guitar. Radio and nature sounds for me.

View attachment 177560
Did you ever think maybe they were doing that so they did not have to listen to you complain? Lol

YouTube is the place how for free lessons. A lot of those guys that teach on their are really good. After playing more days than not for 18 years I still get on YouTube and learn stuff. You can search specifically for songs you wanna learn by name. For a beginner you can even search for easier versions of songs you wanna learn. They sometimes break down hard songs into more beginner versions that will go just find around a campfire.
SUPER good info.
For instance!
One of my favorite songs is "Big Mabel Murphy".
It's by Dallas Frazier and is in the key of F. With each new verse, the chord progresses.
NO guitar player in his right mind plays a song in the the key of F! Terribly unpukka old chap! Just not done!
SOOOOO...... I play it in the key of G and do not progress. Sounds good! ....to me! LOL!

It is a very good idea to learn an instrument. I prefer the guitars with the fat strings myself. I mean, I can grab my acoustic and strum some chords, but it's mostly just racket. But let me get ahold of my bass man, I'll show you where beat is.

Or let me put it this way: I picked up a bass a while back, and I love love love playing. In fact, hunting is the only pastime I like better.

You are gonna think that you're so awful the first little while you play but one day you'll peel off a few notes and it'll sound so good, you'll think it's the best thing you've ever heard. That's when you get hooked. There are times you'll want to sit up playing so late you'll be drowsy and staggering to bed when you finally put it down. Just keep with it, make sure you learn fundamentals and not just tabs to songs. Use YouTube like others have recommended. And have fun!

Also, as an added bonus, once you've started learning you will appreciate music in a new way. It can be like hearing all your favorite bands for the first time again. That's one of the best parts to be honest. Good luck and glad you're starting this journey. You will never regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back