guiding or not???

mixedbag

I know someone who makes a lot of money selling hunt plans in Mt,Wy.His plans include gps coordinates of the areas like hunting spots,wallows ect...I know hes not a registered guide in either state.Is this a grey area in the outfitter/guide license requirement rules?I'm guessing if your making profit off outdoors you would need licensing.Am I wrong in this.I know other companies offer a service but never include details like gps coordinates.I know alot of you guys are pretty in tune with states regulations.Do you actually have to physically be present to be considered a guide?

Yes, you must physically accompany a hunter in the woods to be considered a guide. There isn't any regulation of what this guy is doing. Nor should there be. He is selling his knowledge nothing more.

Is MapQuest being a taxi driver when that website provides you a mapped route between two locations? No.

Knowledge is rarely restricted or licensed unless significant public harm is possible (doctors, architects, etc).

The person is not guiding by marking spots on a map that is then mailed to someone.

Sounds like a scouting service, I've seen a few of them on the web and from what I know they were not licence guides. They're a great thing to use for someone like me in the midwest who can not get out and pre scout and area.

MH, MixedBag and another hunter shared a Moose hunt this Fall. Both are pissed at each other for whatever reason, now taking it public.

Looking for a way to turn him in to law enforcement isnt the way to handle the situation.

Last edited:
I've talked to a guy from a scouting service a few years ago. He seemed cool and had a couple suggestions for some archery hunts. I didn't contract him for services, but it's not like a lot of TV hunters don't use a scouting service of some sorts like Doyle's network of spotters, etc.

If you use one, don't expect to be the only one on the mountain

Could be problem on federal land. Example. You can film your hunt all you want with out a problem, if you start to sell that film you need a permit. This doesn't sound all that different.

MH, MixedBag and another hunter shared a Moose hunt this Fall. Both are pissed at each other for whatever reason, now taking it public.

Looking for a way to turn him in to law enforcement isnt the way to handle the situation.

Insert Popcorn emoji...

Agreed bobbydean. (Group app pt schemes, whats a lot of money? = pay for gps hunting spots thru the web, wolves in Colorado & Wilks locking up things everywhere sours the gut, ugh)

I didn't mention any names,and I was looking at the legality of this.Seemed a sketchy to me so I was curious

And to mention, I've done hunts with at least 8 different guys from this site and never had a bad time.This guy tries to save his elk master ego over there on bowsite;like most on there.I'm easy to find as I use the same name on every site I go on,unlike yourself.I even watched you all tear down elknut on there the other day when he was giving suggestions.I'll stick with this site where I find the people to be REAL

....I'm easy to find as I use the same name on every site I go on,unlike yourself.I even watched you all tear down elknut on there the other day when he was giving suggestions.I'll stick with this site where I find the people to be REAL

Who are you talking too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back