Caribou Gear Tarp

Group Hog Hunt

Shaky

Hello all,

The group hog hunt I was on last weekend in Texas was a roaring success. There were 13 hunters and we killed 19 hogs. We hunted Friday and Saturday evening. We went out about 2 hours before sunset and stayed out till 2am.

Five of the hogs were killed using my new bullets.

I loaned a 257 Roberts loaded with my 101gr EXP Bullet to another hunter. The shot was placed in the base of the neck, quartering on, and exited the right shoulder. The shot was about 65 yards. That hog weighed about 150lbs. The exit hole was about 1 1/4" in diameter. The hog dropped in its tracks.

I killed a 250lb hog at 135 yards with my 7mm mag at 12:30am. The hog was broadside, the bullet entered the left leg, high, went through the hog and exited the right shoulder. I was using my 127gr EXP bullet. At the shot, somehow the hog turned and headed towards me, it went about 10 yards then stumbled backwards and fell over dead. It had tusk's that are about 6" long. The exit hole was about 1 1/2" in diameter.

Dave killed 3 hogs. One being a red colored one that went around 300lbs. He hit it high and slightly back from the shoulder, broadside. He was using my 159gr EXP out of his 300 win mag. The hog was fairly close - less then 60 yards. The exit hole was about 1 1/2" in diameter. That hog dropped in its tracks.

He shot 2 other hogs of about 175lbs. One he hit broadside directly in the shoulder and the bullet exited the offside shoulder, again, the exit hole was about 1 1/2" in diameter and that hog dropped in its tracks.

His 3rd hog he hit broadside, double lung shot. The bullet went through 2" of grissle/fat under the hide and exited the offside. The exit hole was about 1 1/4" in diameter. That hog went about 30 yards into the bush before expiring.

All 5 hogs shot/killed using my bullets had complete pass throughs. None of the hogs stopped any of my bullets.

To give an example of how well the bullets did another fellow hunter shot a 150lb hog, double lung shot using silvertips out of a 300 RUM and the bullet did NOT pass all the way through. We recovered the bullet and it was really mashed all to hell. That hog did die but the bullet never exited.
The hog shot with the tiny 257 Roberts and my 101gr EXP bullet went all the way through and the same size hog stopped a bullet shot from a 300 RUM. Interesting data for sure.

All in all we all had a great time and most are ready to go back.

I will send a picture to Mooise for him to post of the hunters standing behind 18 of the hogs. One hog was butchered before the picture was taken so it wasn't included in the picture. The red colored hog is the 300lb one killed by Dave. The hog laying to its left, looking at the picture, is my black 250lb hog.

If anybody is interested in premium performance on tough critters, let me know, I have just the bullet for you.
smile.gif

All the myths about needing a heavy bullet to kill tough critters just went out the window. Drive my bullets at high velocity and get better penetration then those heavy, slow moving bullets.

Have a good one,

TexasHog.sized.jpg

Don
smile.gif

So when's the BBQ. Bless us Loard and pass the porkchops. Good story and pic.
Thanks for shairing
Dic

HOLY SMOKES look at all that BACON
biggrin.gif
Don you look like ya had a blast man.Thanks for sharing the story with us.When ever you get any bullets to sell I will take some from ya.Have a good one.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Wow, Congratulations, wow! Lots of hogs by moonlight, eh! That is some fantastic bullet, it must be a hard bullet to get passthrough on hogs? What a pile of hogs, whew! Congratulations again!

6 inch tusks are major teeth there Shaky! I bet that's a trophy hog, got any pictures of those teeth to show?
hump.gif
hump.gif

Wow! That's some pile of pork. Sounds like your bullets are working great Shaky... I'm happy for you. Only right now, I'm more interested in where you hunted with that kind of success... I need to go there....

cool.gif

Nut,

Yes, Dave is standing to my left (right as you look at the picture). Jim has some major back problems and wasn't able to hunt but I just love the little guy so much we had to have him there.

Tom,

Yes, my bullets are designed and made for penetration. A lot of people don't consider a hog a very tough animal - thats because they never killed one
biggrin.gif

You and I know better.

Danr,

The ranch we went to is the same ranch Dave and I hunted in Jan 2002 - Venado Grande Ranch. I booked the hunt with Ray Atkinson. It is located 56 miles from Uvalde, Texas (I clocked it on the way back). The ranch is southwest of Uvalde.

To all,

Thanks for the kind words. All of us had a great time. The lodge is real nice, the food was great and the guides were very helpfull. All of the staff made it very enjoyable.

On a personal note: I saw 53 hogs last Saturday night. I saw 17 of them, follow one another at 285 yards, crossing the roadway I was looking down. I never really had a shot but it was exciting to watch 17 hogs cross the road. I knew there were hogs around me as I could hear them a lot of the time. The one I shot was about 250lbs. He was with 2 other larger hogs but the other 2 never gave me a broadside shot so I shot the smallest of the 3. I was in a 4' X 6' elevated blind - about 10 foot line of sight.

The ranch foreman esitmated the population of hogs on the ranch at around 250 but based on how many were spotted (seen) by all the various hunters, my guess, would be higher then that. The ranch is around 3200 acres in size and is high fenced on 2 sides only. That way animals can come onto - or leave - the property at will. Since the 2 bordering properties where there is a low (old cattle) fence are not commercially hunted and the ranch we hunted conducts an extensive feed program, a lot of animals come onto the ranch we hunted (how was that for a run-on sentence?)

Plans are already in the making for return trips by many of those that hunted last weekend.

Again, thanks to all for their kind words and yes we DID have a blast.

Don
smile.gif

Bigtusker,

My head and cape are now at the taxidermist. As soon as I get the mount back I will take pics, scan them and post them.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back