Grizzly man

either way, it has served its purpose when teaching people to always prepare for the worst when in bear country.
What bothers me is the shot's close up with the bears. I
strongly suspect there are those out there that will actually try that and a certain number of them are gonna pay. It's not a smart think to approach wild animals like you in a zoo with some type shield between you and the animal.

actually she was with him for 6 years and their last trip to Alaska was NOT their first trip to Alaska together, it was their THIRD trip to Alaska together and for the express purpose of studying/interacting with the bears. It was the sole purpose of their trip on all three occasions.

Had he been legally declared mentally ill ?
After watching that and thinking about it I don't think anyone would have to tell me he was ill, for me, his actions pretty much spoke for themselves. The bear that killed them could have been the first he'd fooled with. Would appear different then? I'd hate to think someone else would try to pick up where he left off. I don't get the point of what he was doing either, to protect bears in wild country like that? Got to be kidding me. The guy did something incredibly stupid and paid the price. He accomplished nothing other than dying! And the woman with him? She was also either crazy or very ill informed. The bears where they were were very wild animals. They will kill and eat other animals. Wonder what they think a human is? I'd guess to them a meal!

I had to watch that program as part of training when I went to work as a ranger at Katmai National Park. That German guy who funded and filmed Treadwell's exploits should have his nuts cut off. Timothy CLEARLY had Kleinfelder's Syndrome which is a mutation of the sex gene. Symptoms include loss of facial/body hair (check!), Mickey Mouse voice (check!), problems with sexual performance (check ... a symptom that often drives these guys to violence), and "impaired judgement" (CHECK!). I can't believe any physician who ever examined him wouldn't have picked up on this immediately. Curiously, the female similar mutation, Turner's Syndrome, does not produce impaired judgement symptoms. Quite the opposite. Many of these ladies are exceptionally bright and gifted. They are typically short, almost dwarfish, with "shield chests." Often they are sterile and usually have serious internal organ problems, notably cardiac and kidney.

Anyway, I'm certain the German guy knew what was wrong with Teddy and milked it for his own benefit. What disgusted me was the gal who was head of the bear crew at Katmai thought Teddy walked on water. She also facilitated his goofy exploits. A scientist with a degree in biology couldn't recognize Kleinfelder's when it was so patently obvious? She was a piece of work for a lot of other reasons. That entire bear crew was a bunch of duds. And what is it about wildlife biologists that makes them live like animals? That bunch were filthy slobs. Back in the seventies I had to go clean out a USFS cabin after Goat Man Chapman finished a season of "studies." Been up to me we would have burned the place down. Ugh!
OH, did I miss the part about Herzog's involvement before Treadwell's death? I always thought he just did the post-mortem filming. Did he enable Treadwell too?

IMHO---everybody should carry it with them when in bear country, even if there has been cases when it was ineffective, as well as a firearm.
Oh, I agree; I like bear spray. I just don't like the way that bear spray is marketed as a panacea for all of your ursine woes. It routinely fails to drive off bears. If it came with such a disclaimer, I'd have no problem with it. Sadly, I suspect some of the people pushing it are perfectly willing to risk human lives in order to protect bear lives.

Bear spray is a great first-line of defense. It is a terrible last-line of defense.

Oh, I agree; I like bear spray. I just don't like the way that bear spray is marketed as a panacea for all of your ursine woes. It routinely fails to drive off bears. If it came with such a disclaimer, I'd have no problem with it. Sadly, I suspect some of the people pushing it are perfectly willing to risk human lives in order to protect bear lives.

Bear spray is a great first-line of defense. It is a terrible last-line of defense.
I don't know a thing about bear spray but think I'd prefer a rifle with heavy bullet's. Problem being with bear spray you simply probably need to be to close and if it does fail,,,your to close!

One thing for certain here. Where he was, was not the local dog park and he was not around pet dogs and their owners. It was vast wilderness area around wild animals. Something I'd hope we agree on is wild animals are un-predictable. What works one time might not work the next. I read about a mauling up there some years ago and the bear was one of those young one's like in the video posted here. Well this one was a male with an attitude, it didn't scare well and did a good number on the guy. Guy I worked with up there had a sawed off shotgun he carried for bears, it was a 12 ga and he carried slugs in it. Read in "Alaska Bear Tails" about the shotgun with slugs. said the 20 ga was pretty much worthless, would not penetrate a grizzly head. On the other hand the 12ga with slugs wouldn't either but it would crack the skull at something like 20'! That rules out the handgun for me. Then again a couple years ago a woman was attacked by one up there and killed it with a 9mm. Not something I'd want to try.

Bottom line is each bear may well be different and what worked on the last one just might not work again. And it goes that way with all wild animals with me. Even Bambi can do a number on you if it decides to. How would you like to be bit by a squirrel? Then find out its rabid. Wild animals deserve respect no matter how safe we might believe them to be. Now saying that, I have got a few deer, couple antelope and couple elk loose from fence's here around home over the years. All of them split soon as they were free. One deer fawn caught was being closely watched by it's mother and that concerned me some but turned out fine. Anyone of them could have turned out badly. Each time I did it I was on the opposite side of the fence from the direction it was going.

Two days in and that gal wanted OUT. She had enough of Teddy. Unfortunately, weather kept the plane from getting in to pick her up.

One of my supervisors was part of the "rescue" crew. The camera did record the attack and he heard it (and that's all he would say). The tape was supposed to be turned over to the parents but it would not surprise me if someone made a copy first. That bear study bunch were something else!

Thankfully I live in a civilized community where people who choose to torture pets are put in jail ... not respected for making the choice.
Pretty racist undertones @OntarioHunter Not cool
Worth considering an apology to @Panda Bear
Fellow FN ✌️

Thankfully I live in a civilized community where people who choose to torture pets are put in jail ... not respected for making the choice.
What animals are pets and which are food is a cultural choice. I love dogs and place them pretty close to humans in my "what I care about" list, so I can't imagine using a dog as bait. At the same time, I eat cows - something not ok in much of India. Location and culture have a lot to do with evaluating choices, lest we assume the mantle of the solitary keeper of the "truth".

What animals are pets and which are food is a cultural choice. I love dogs and place them pretty close to humans in my "what I care about" list, so I can't imagine using a dog as bait. At the same time, I eat cows - something not ok in much of India. Location and culture have a lot to do with evaluating choices, lest we assume the mantle of the solitary keeper of the "truth".
Very common in several Asia and Africa countries. ( Dogs AND cats ). Dog meat is part of the Christmas celebration in Switzerland. Other countries as well.

Pretty racist undertones @OntarioHunter Not cool
Worth considering an apology to @Panda Bear
Fellow FN ✌️
And not the first time. The post you refer to is not even the most egregious. AND, it should be noted that Panda Bear DID NOT approve of the dogs being used to attract bears AND the fellow who did so was prosecuted.

What bothers me is the shot's close up with the bears. I
strongly suspect there are those out there that will actually try that and a certain number of them are gonna pay. It's not a smart think to approach wild animals like you in a zoo with some type shield between you and the animal.
And not just him and her. It amazes many members here when they see people trying to get closer to a wild animal for a picture. A video was posted a while back showing a lady trying t get closer to ( from memory ) a moose. Bison, Bear, Moose encounters by people assuming they are invincible happens in places like Yellowstone, Alaska, etc
He came by our place a couple of times; always surprised he made it out. To bad he got his girlfriend killed. Friend of mine’s daughter was 10 at the time. She was monitoring the radio when Tredwells girlfriend called for help. Poor kid heard the whole thing. Still affected.
Perhaps this thread will still be active when he returns. He and his lady is wrapping up a very successful Africa Safari. He got several different species. I will let him share it with everyone when he returns to the States------but as mentioned above, he knew met them and as stated, was surprised they made it out on their first three trips.

Him and the lady had done this together THREE times, over a period of 6 years. He ( and her ) made it back to the plane and after a problem with the flight==they, willingly, went back to see the bears again, making it literally their fourth trip. She was not forced to go with him on any of these trips.

Of course I wish they had not been killed by the bear, but as onther poster on this thread, indicated it was not her/their first trip to bear country. It was technically their/her fourth. Did she ( he) know what they were doing ? None of us think so, just as none of us would get out of our vehicle and try to pet a wild bison, moose, bear. And to my knowledge no Doctor, who had met them in person, has given his/her opinion of their mental state. It was a sad situation and an unfortunate one, but IMHO they both would have willing kept going until a bear killed them or they were banned from gong into the area.
IMHO---everybody should carry it with them when in bear country, even if there has been cases when it was ineffective, as well as a firearm.
This lady studies and confronts Black, Brown, White and Grolar bears, in all three "Territories", both in towns, wilderness, and ice. She always has bear spray with her but has said it does not always work. Weather is too cold, wind blowing in the wrong direction, etc--but she always takes it. She can carry ( not everyone in Canada can) but she does have a license to do so, but she does not, as she says a lever action rifle serves her better. Also a shotgun with slugs, cracker, and something else I am forgetting. And flares in the winter. Also cages and then tranquilize and helicopter them back out on the ice. I am sharing this from memory and may not have it all exactly correct.

If you could truly train one to be the goodest boy though it would prob be awesome.
If I knew it wouldn’t eat me I would love to pet these bears.

If you could truly train one to be the goodest boy though it would prob be awesome.
If I knew it wouldn’t eat me I would love to pet these bears.
This is a problem as people that simply don't understand just may try it with a wild bear! I would be willing to bet that neither of these people in the video would attempt this with a wild bear!

This is a problem as people that simply don't understand just may try it with a wild bear! I would be willing to bet that neither of these people in the video would attempt this with a wild bear!
I saw this video. Waiting for the follow-up video in a few years. The one with the sobbing widow.
Would you rather put your hand in the grizzlies mouth or put the dress on lillygator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back