Grip n Grin Alternatives

However you may feel, the grip n grin has become a controversial issue outside of hunting circles.

As a hunter, a grip and grin is a culmination of a lot of hard work and emotion. No matter the size of the animal, a successful hunt is something to be celebrated! Most of the smiles I see in these photos are not over the killing, but the relief of closing out a tough hunt.

I am always extremely grateful whenever i fill a tag. I want to honor the animal which will feed my family. I want to also capture the memory. I also want to share my love for hunting and maybe educate others on its benefits. However, the grip and grin can often times hinder the latter...

Please share your thoughts, ideas for other types of photos, and photos you've attempted.

Attachments

• 20200823_222424.jpg
    20200823_222424.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 135
  • SmartSelect_20200823-222232_Instagram.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200823-222232_Instagram.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 137
I don’t mind the grip and grin, though I prefer the ones that are respectful and try to show the animal at its best. But sometimes the smile/exhaustion/pain on a face is the perfect illustration of a particular hunt.

But I like to take artsy fartsy pics of my animals too. Depends on my mood, level of misery, and how much time I have in the moment.

899481B4-6615-40CA-ADB9-5ED4B3CE5583.jpeg
D7342811-F5A8-4630-962C-3BDD8A4461AA.jpeg
2E5E1557-9689-4051-AECB-EC829C36BFAD.jpeg

Nothing wrong with a tasteful grip and grin, there s no appeasing those who choose to seek yet another way to be offended by the legal activities of others. My opinion is not to change your habits to appease them, as they are never satisfied and always want MORE than you may opt to do. The only thing that will make them happy is the complete eradication of everything that they don't agree with or don't do themselves.

They are perfectly free not to look at the picture or read the social media post.

I like the thread! I have never been a huge fan of the true grip and grin but like to take pictures that remind me of the hunt. Sometimes that’s an animal, sometimes it’s something that stuck out on the hunt.

0C3063CE-EB39-4A9A-ADE2-6E39281AE534.jpeg
Some people try to clean up the animal before taking pictures. Not me, this is how he died and how I will remember him. This deer was a hard earned gift. I hunted hard! Over 40 miles in 2.5 days and saw 150+ does and no bucks. This guy was 400 yards from my truck on the fourth morning, crested the ridge and he was broadside eating at 50 yards. The blood reminds me of the minor meniscus tears I put in both knees those first 2.5 days.
46D54C81-05A4-4412-B950-73B28AB8A96F.jpeg
This has been a CO 1st season elk hunt norm, more often than not.
4D0C05DF-1CA7-473F-8E52-B70A64353780.jpeg
This tree is a tree I always expected to see an elk at every year and never did, finally got the opportunity to sneak down in waste deep snow just below this tree and shoot a cow, again first season CO. The tree means more to me than the pick of the cow.

Edit: Admiring the burnt tree pic again this morning and just realized for the first time that the game bags full of meat are sitting under the tree to the left.

Last edited:
I am selective about showing grip n grin pictures to non-hunters. They don’t always see what I see in the pic, i.e. trophy worship or gratuity vs. the culmination of hard work, discipline, and some luck. Some pics I do show are of the packaged meat, and explain how I did it on my own, and why. Also, landscape and nature pics of the area I hunted, and explain what I appreciate about that particular natural environment. A pic of an animal before it was shot, if you have the right equipment.

I've kind of gone the artsy route that huntingwife has.
20200824_125340.jpg
20200824_125408.jpg
There's a story behind every grip and grin picture and I think it's unfair to judge someone based on that one picture, though I agree there is a respectful way to do it. I know when I look at my pictures, I'm instantly transported to that day and I can remember every single detail. I can remember my first buck; waking up late, putting sweetarts in my pack, hiking out in the warm weather with the snow slowly melting beneath my feet, shaking a little after I shot and the pain while dragging that buck to the road.
I've noticed lately in some hunting communities, there has been some gatekeeping in regards to grip and grin pictures and I dont really like that. It's a personal preference but I dont think it's right to take what's a really proud and meaningful moment for someone and try to make them feel bad or less for it.

Really good thread on how to take better photos below. I think a dead animal, whether accompanied by a human or not, is going to be controversial for some people. That is why it is incumbent upon us as hunters to articulate why we hunt. You won't convince everyone, but if you are making a positive impression then that might be good enough.

What I try to do is not necessarily make the animal the focus of the photo. I try to get a good landscape picture that the dead animal happens to be a part of. Kind of like the picture from Glass eye, but I would back up even further. That is a badass picture by the way!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the "grip and grin" picture, and I definitely take them myself. But I also try and get several other alternatives as well. Below are some examples of from last year's mule deer hunt.

First off, as long as it's not a terribly distasteful position, I like to capture a picture of how I find the animal. To make it look less like "just a dead critter lying there", get down on its level.
20191122_104938.jpg

Next, I try to get an image showing thankfulness, respect, gratitude etc. for the animal. At least for me there is a lot of these emotions at the end of a hunt.
20191122_105910.jpg

I also want to get a picture with my rifle. Being able to use my rifles is one of the big reason I hunt. (side note, I screwed up and didn't catch the piece of grass right in the middle of the image!)
20191122_105140.jpg

Also, if you are proud of a specific piece of gear (say a knife) or you like repping a certain company, get an image or two for them.
20191122_111120.jpg
20191122_105107.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas!

While I do go out of my way to make sure the animal's tongue is not hanging out or there is not blood everywhere it's not a big deal. And yes I like to see the successful hunter or hunters in the pic.
Since the only social media I use are 2 hunting forums it seems the only people who will see those pics are other hunters.

My least favorite grip and grin is the one where the animal is already caped out and the guy is just standing in a field somewhere holding the head with the cape blowing in the wind. Or, they are kneeling in their yard with the cape laid out like they are still in the field and posing for a "traditional" grip and grin lol.

I don't have an issue with grip and grin. I also appreciate taking the effort to clean up an animal if you can. "Rant time" I don't like people thinking they are better people for doing so. Ultimately the end result is to kill or harvest an animal.

There are ways to avoid the "gross-out" factor. One is the black & white option, so you don't have to deal with cleaning up a boatload of blood.

IMG_20171121_083729518.jpg

Another is to clean up the game and focus on them. Clean shots help, as well as getting a photo before rigor mortis sets on, allowing you to pose them for a more natural look. Could've been better here, but this is what I got.

IMG_20171104_135912279.jpg

The third option, is to crop out the really nasty stuff, like the aftermath of a grouse vs. 12ga at 5 paces (headshot). Focus on the patterns and colors, and how they complement the natural cover- the things you appreciate after the kill. Bonus if you can get the background/habitat with it, to show where they live and just how well suited they are to that place.

Eoz2das.jpg

I post to social media for a lot of non-hunting friends to see, and these sorts of photos are much better received than the ol' game strap, or a blood-soaked grip & grin.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back