Greg Merriam/Discount Hunts LLC

Does anyone here know anything about Hunters Domain Land Owners Tags and how it works...?
If a DIY is not in the cards then use an outfitter who is a member of their State outfitters and guide associations. Here is an example:

https://issuu.com/visitidaho/docs/ioga_membership_directory_2021-300_dpi

https://www.coloradooutfitters.org/ (You will not find Mr. Merriam, or Discount Hunts here)

The folks that join these orgs are in business for the long term, and actually have standards for membership. I realize DIY is not in the cards for everyone, and I sure know if I was coming to FL for a once in a lifetime hunt or fishing trip , I'm booking with a local guide.

That is some real good advice about the outfitters, thank you 2rocky....I have already been looking at the list....

Any one considering a Colorado outfitter/drop camp/trespass hunt do your homework diligently. There a few really good ones but there are more that are shady. One good source besides the Outfitter Association ( not all members are legit) is to simply search on big game outfitters in a particular area. Some of the best will only be listed locally. Definitely ask for a reference list for several years both successful and not.

Last edited:
That is some real good advice about the outfitters, thank you 2rocky....I have already been looking at the list....
Outfitters are like anything else in life. Too good to be true ain’t true. And anything discounted means something was cut along the way. Cheap hunts will always be cheap hunts. The internet has really done away with price discrepancies and demand is exceeding supply.

If you go the outfitter route, do your homework. Call the folks. Talk to them. Don’t ignore red flags and warning signs. Call the state’s Game and Fish and ask about them. When you talk to the outfitter ask for references and ask for repeat customers and customers that didn’t shoot anything.

Ok fellas...I have another question for the forum...Anyone have any experience with Bearpaw Outfitters...looking at a hunt in Montana....Thanks

I have 3 guys in their 70's in my group and am looking for a decent reputable outfitter with a decent chance to kill a decent Mule deer....I understand there was quite a die-off because of the harsh weather out there last year and am really puzzled where to go....

Might want to look at private land...guided Gunnison--Southwest Colorado. Another area might be Montrose CO.

I have 3 guys in their 70's in my group and am looking for a decent reputable outfitter with a decent chance to kill a decent Mule deer....I understand there was quite a die-off because of the harsh weather out there last year and am really puzzled where to go....
This is probably not the best place to ask for outfitter reviews since the majority of members pride themselves in DIY. Best advice I can offer is deal with a reputable booking agent who is bonded.
This operation has been around a long time and I know folks who used them.

OMG.....Are you talking about Jeff Musgrave....?....I have an absolute horror story with him....and the other was a woman outside Craig.....That's why I am soooo worried about being in charge of finding us a good place to hunt....There are 6 of us and 4 of the party are in their 70's...Yes we are looking at the 2024 hunting season...Ideally we would like to find lodging, not a deal breaker, and staying around the $4,000.00 per gun. Look, I know we can't expect 30 inch trophy deer, all we want is someone that will treat us good and give us a chance too kill some bucks.

I cant vouch for this outfitter personally as I ended up not hunting with them but in my original post I mentioned an outfitter in Craig CO offering guaranteed mule deer hunts. I talked to him on the phone for quite a bit that year and asked him how he was able to offer a guaranteed hunt like that. His response was that there were just that many mule deer in the area and they will flock to the green fields they hunt over and that in all the years he has been offering these guaranteed hunts there has never been a time that a client didnt get an opportunity.

Thats actually what ultimately persuaded me to go DIY. I said if there are that many in the area than surely I should be able to find one ... lol. Also I took my mom out there and she was in her mid 60s at the time and was able to handle doing it DIY and we came home with 2 mule deer and an elk doing it DIY. The only part she struggled with was when we went 2 miles deep into the walk in only area but she had no problem walking out after she harvested her mule deer.

Ok fellas...I have another question for the forum...Anyone have any experience with Bearpaw Outfitters...looking at a hunt in Montana....Thanks
If that's the guy at Cleveland, MT, give me a pm. I used to live in Chinook.

Last edited:
I don't recall the Montana winter being that harsh but I was only around till December. Two years ago was much worse.

Ha! Yah I am. Guy is a total POS. I had the misfortune of working for him for a season. I’ll keep plastering his name all over if it can keep people from getting screwed.
Possibly the most disliked outfitter in the Meeker area. He has a flashy web site...kinda like all buckel and no cows. Knowingly dishonest !

He put us out in the middle of no where, which should be good, with very little information. None of the tents had flooring, we had to put that down, which is ok. The so-called stove he left us was broken and falling apart, which is ok, we made it work. The camp equipment was terrible, we used our own. The Cots were rotten, on 2 occasions myself and another fell through during the night, thankfully we had duct tape. But the worst thing was the total lack of animals..!!! And after his son left us that day was the last we saw of any of them. We tried texting and calling and all we got was a pin on a map of a location we might look at on BLM land......It was a terrible hunting experience and I would not recommend that guy to anyone...!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back