Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gravy Train Through High Cotton

This new herd is 850 yards to our left, RocketRam is 500 yards to our right. There was a small dead branch in front of our glassing spot that was obscuring our view. As I broke it off to get a better look at the new rams, the sound of the break caught the attention of another ram that was bedded about 400 yards away on the ridge directly across from us and between the two herds.

This new ram was also an impressive ram at least as big as RocketRam. (I hope Matt can supply a pic of this ram since I don’t have any of him.).

We now have four rams within 800 yards that are the quality of ram I was wanting to shoot. I was going back and forth between multiple guys spotters trying to compare the attributes and weaknesses of each ram to make a decision which one to stalk if any.

This new ram and RocketRam were noticeably broomed on one horn a couple inches shorter than the other. Aesthetically, they weren’t as appealing to my sense of “the ideal ram” ( whatever that arbitrary definition means???) as a ram that was symmetrical in length.

The lower ram in the previous picture seemed to be a bit heavier in mass than his companions in the herd and from what I could see was pretty even in length.

It was just past 5 pm. If I was going to make a decision and kill a ram, I needed to get on with it…
Here is the ram at 373 yards that was straight across the draw from us ……course I got pics fella:)

Attachments

• 3EA05A2E-066E-4815-820F-9375F3063CE7.jpeg
    3EA05A2E-066E-4815-820F-9375F3063CE7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
  • ADC0D46C-AA89-4AA5-B3E5-42DF6EE5E368.jpeg
    ADC0D46C-AA89-4AA5-B3E5-42DF6EE5E368.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have a family function that is occupying my time this evening, but I want to follow up with a few more pics and more reflection on my experience.

I am convinced in my mind that the roadside ram that Travis posted video of and the ram I passed and posted pics of from my first hunt are the same ram.

The last tag holder killed that ram a couple days after I killed mine. The ram was killed about 3/4 a mile from where I took pictures of him and the horn configuration is exact in my mind.

As an aside for those who keep score, the roadside ram ended up being slightly larger than my ram. What’s that saying about passing on the first day….????😂

I would do the same thing over again if I could have it to do over. My hunt was everything I wanted it to be.

Good grief! What a ram! And the story is awesome too. Did I miss details of that rifle you're packing?

My rifle was a Browning Gold Medallion chambered in Jack O’Connor Classic Sheep Cartridge (aka. .270 Winchester). It was the first rifle I ever owned, bought when I was 15 with money I earned from odd jobs. I used it for both my goat and my ram this year.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back