PEAX Equipment

Gotta brag on my old man (84 years young)

Ben Long

Is 84 too old to hunt elk? What if you hunt alone? Some folks in my family wish my dad would move to town and quit elk hunting. But don't count on it. This year he went out alone, departing by headlamp, with his 50-year-old BAR in 30-06. He lives on a quarter-section in Idaho's Unit 8 (or 8A, I'm not sure). He heard a bugle in the dark, but not sure if it was an elk or a hunter, he crept closer. At dawn he saw a 5-point about 300 yards away. He cut the distance in half and dropped the bull with one shot. He got out his cell phone (which is only for emergencies) and started calling reinforcements. He walked back home, got his John Deere, scooped up the bull and took it home to cut and wrap it. You don't quit when you get old, you get old when you quit.

Good stuff! Lets all hope we are doing the same at 84! Congrats Wise mature fella !!

I hope I last that long at it. Neat story.

I vividly remember the last back country elk hunt I went on with my grandfather. He was 78-79 or so at the time, and I 16 or so. He and his cousin came up and stayed in our camp (it was really his dad's camp/elk hunting spot). They got up early and rode up to their favorite spot, well all took off on foot... I'll never forget seeing those two horseman traversing a hillside that was tough enough to stand up up on, let alone ride a horse. I would love to have a written account of those two's hunting careers, it would make for some interesting reading for sure. They shot a bull that day, and we killed another 2 or 3 that weekend. There was a lot of elk hunting knowledge in the hills that weekend, that's for sure.

There’s a lot of truth in your last statement Ben. Congrats to your Dad. I’d be bragging on him to.

Holy smokes .... that’s dedication there. 84 years old and bagging an elk by hiking into the hills and getting it out. I hope I can remember my hunts at 84 years old (assuming I live that long) :).

That is awesome. I have a bird hunting buddy that would make the trek to South Dakota every year he stopped driving up there from TN about 4 years ago. He turned 91 today. I was always so happy to be apart of that. Driving up every fall to bird hunt. He was and is a wealth of knowledge. I consider myself lucky to have hunted with him for many years and at half his age (44) I hope I can go another 40.

Congrats to your dad! What is that old saying, work smart, not hard. Sometimes that applies to hunting as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back