Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Got my first Wyoming elk tag. Unit 35. Now What?

dannyb278

After years of applying, I finally drew my first elk tag, for Unit 35 in Wyoming. If anyone has unit specific information to share, I'd take it. I typically don't ask for peoples opinions, because the next guy in the thread will just give a different one, but I do have one question.

As I understand it, this unit allows for both archery hunting AND rifle hunting on the same tag, with the archery license kicking in halfway through Septembers archery season. As this is my first time elk hunting, but feel equally confident in using archery and rifle for hunting, I'd like to hear elk hunters thoughts on weather I should go with a bow in the middle of September, or rifle in October? I wont be able to secure time off for both. I'll be hunting and camping solo unless I can enlist one of my Wyoming friends to assist and maybe take me into the Wilderness.

I don't know much about 35...but I do know a bit about getting elk killed.

If it were me I would get to the unit a couple three days before the rifle season, find the bull you want, and get it killed right off opening day.

Have a couple plans, watch hunting pressure as the season progresses and be flexible.

I haven't hunted elk there, just deer and antelope on both sides of the mountains there and have driven through 35 a few times on highway 16. Should be a great hunt. Personally I would be tempted to spend all my time during the archery season. From the info the WGFD provides it sounds as if access to private property can be an issue after the elk get hunting pressure and move from public to private. The other thing is deer season opens October 15th as well and there's just going to be a lot of people. I think I would very much prefer less people and the ability to hunt the rut. Now if rifle season opened October 1 that would be a different story, I'd probably try to hunt archery and then the first couple days of rifle. But the way the seasons are separated by two weeks, I'd be doing only the archery season.

For a first elk hunt SOLO, I'd go rifle.

If you would have a buddy who could call, then Archery might be the ticket. Weather will be nicer statistically, but could have passing storms.
The Elk will be in different places between the two seasons, so follow Buzz's reco on arriving 3 days early for rifle.

That said, the magic of elk hunting for me is hearing bugles and chasing them, which gives a bit of an edge to archery season.

All my WY elk hunts were Sept 24 or OCT 1 opener for rifle so I would scout with my bow

I would recruit a friend to come with go archery. You can use your friend as a caller and it will make the pack out easier. Also you never know what will happen and if you don't get one during archery there is still the possibility of somehow making time to go back during rifle.

Wyoming allows options. Other states only allow 1week to hunt. You miggtvwantvto really consider taking 2 different weeks to hun. If not , What’s your bow shooting/hunting skills? Rut will be active but your range is limited. If only a week, may want rifle for the extra range.

First do a little dance then e-scout like crazy. If you have never been to the unit then i suggest Google Earth at minimum. I am fortunate to work at a place that is awesome and my computer has 3 monitors so I put Google Earth on one screen OnX on one and GoHunt Maps on the other (On my lunch break :)) I pour through every inch of the unit marking water dark north slopes ect. I share the pins form each to my OnX and I have about a million places to check. I have not hunted in Wyoming yet but from what I've heard from friends even a so so unit is good. Hunt as hard as your ability let's you and have fun!

Cheers!

First do a little dance then e-scout like crazy. If you have never been to the unit then i suggest Google Earth at minimum. I am fortunate to work at a place that is awesome and my computer has 3 monitors so I put Google Earth on one screen OnX on one and GoHunt Maps on the other (On my lunch break :)) I pour through every inch of the unit marking water dark north slopes ect. I share the pins form each to my OnX and I have about a million places to check. I have not hunted in Wyoming yet but from what I've heard from friends even a so so unit is good. Hunt as hard as your ability let's you and have fun!

Cheers!

that

and then I plan and execute a summer scouting trip - even if it's just to drive the area and get a better feel for what the area looks like etc

After years of applying, I finally drew my first elk tag, for Unit 35 in Wyoming. If anyone has unit specific information to share, I'd take it. I typically don't ask for peoples opinions, because the next guy in the thread will just give a different one, but I do have one question.

As I understand it, this unit allows for both archery hunting AND rifle hunting on the same tag, with the archery license kicking in halfway through Septembers archery season. As this is my first time elk hunting, but feel equally confident in using archery and rifle for hunting, I'd like to hear elk hunters thoughts on weather I should go with a bow in the middle of September, or rifle in October? I wont be able to secure time off for both. I'll be hunting and camping solo unless I can enlist one of my Wyoming friends to assist and maybe take me into the Wilderness.

Congrats! I also drew a Wy elk tag, unit 31 (burned 16pts). If anyone has archery hunted this unit I'd also appreciate some feedback.

I just drew a tag in WY Unit 45, unfortunately I’m not familiar with 35, but reach out to some locals - that’s what I’m doing. Good luck!!

I've only hunted 35 for 2 seasons, so take this with a grain of salt:

Much of the "elk huntable" area is the big horn mountains, the east side is almost all private, but much of it is in the big horn national forest, some into wilderness, but much in the national forest.

Yes the type 1 tag is good in the second half of September for archery, then shuts down from 10/1 to 10/15. Getting around, in general, isn't that hard, LOTS of dirt/gravel roads off the main road, so easy to get around, but that goes for everyone else too!

Last year actually stunk, as a snow storm labor day weekend pushed most of the elk off the mountains early. I had a VERY hard time finding any fresh sign at all during rifle. I could see 300+ from my window every day, but they never left that ranch and he doesn't let anyone on there.

I guess what I am saying is hope for nice weather!

I drew a tag in Wyoming Unit 45 after 14 years of applying… I have an ace in the hole as my closest hunting buddy has a small ranch very near our Unit.

We are looking for a wall tent camp (for 2-4 hunters) to rent - any ideas or connections? Or know someone that would? We can either pick it up in Denver or Cody. Our hunt will be from 10/12-10/23 this year. Thanks in advance for for your help!!

35 can be a tough area to hunt. The last 5 years the first sign of pressure the Elk come off the mountain onto private and stay all winter. I hunt antelope and whitetails on private in that area and seen more Elk than deer.

Archery. The middle of Sept. till the end of the bow season. If you want the hunt? Rifle if you just want the elk? Calling them in is an adrenalin kick.
I have a cow tag there.

Unit 35 has a specific Archery only tag (type 9) that will start 2 weeks before you can hunt it with an archery stamp. Since this is a first Elk hunt, I'd recommend rifle if you are set on going alone, and learning as you go. That said, I killed my first elk with a bow but I had friends who knew the area and were good callers. If you have resources like that, It's hard to beat a rut hunt in Late September...

Good luck I drew my first elk permit this year to in Montana. Sense the day I drew i have been putting together everything I need. I even bought a 300 prc for it. I’ve always wanted the caliber this was just the push I needed to get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back