Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gold Tip Velocity

ajanssen

Anyone shooting GT Velocity shafts? If so, how's the durability? I've been shooting Axis for quite a while, but my FOC is really low (under 8 if I remember correctly) and I'd like to build some new arrows where I can push up the FOC without adding a ton of overall weight to the finished arrow. I'm at 434 grains now and I figure with the Velocity's I can move a lot of that weight to the front and end up around 450 grains finished with FOC closer to 15%. Like the idea of being able to easily change up weight with the GT FACT system.

Slightly hesitant to go back to a .246 shaft but not convinced I'll ever notice the difference aside from shooting in heavy crosswind, which hasn't been very often for me.

Regarding durability, my thought is they're probably plenty strong but curious if others have experience. Primarily hunting Iowa whitetails and elk.

The Velocity and the Ultralights both weigh the same amount. I would assume they are the same shaft with a different name, but I could be totally wrong. My wife shot some velocity 600s a couple years ago and they were definitley more fragile than the Ultralight 400s I was shooting, that may have been a function of the difference in spine (wall thickness) though.

Good point targetpanic. I should have noted I'll be using 300's if I go this route.

Anyone shooting GT Velocity shafts? If so, how's the durability? I've been shooting Axis for quite a while, but my FOC is really low (under 8 if I remember correctly) and I'd like to build some new arrows where I can push up the FOC without adding a ton of overall weight to the finished arrow. I'm at 434 grains now and I figure with the Velocity's I can move a lot of that weight to the front and end up around 450 grains finished with FOC closer to 15%. Like the idea of being able to easily change up weight with the GT FACT system.

Slightly hesitant to go back to a .246 shaft but not convinced I'll ever notice the difference aside from shooting in heavy crosswind, which hasn't been very often for me.

Regarding durability, my thought is they're probably plenty strong but curious if others have experience. Primarily hunting Iowa whitetails and elk.

What problems are you having with your current arrow?

I am a novice so take this for what it's worth...
I'm shooting the GT Velocity 300 at 30" because I found I needed a more stiff spine and like you, wanted to increase my FOC. Was using the Blackout Envy X5 340 at 32" before these. I can say that I have noticed better accuracy from the GT's (which may just be from the stiffer spine) however, after removing the inserts from the Blackouts I saw micro fractures along the shaft opening, where I have not seen that same thing from the GT's after removing the inserts from them (again possible because of the stiffer spine?). Both sets of arrows have been shot roughly the same amount of time and only into targets. For the Velocity I've got it cut to 30" using 237 grains up front for a total arrow weight of 530 grains and FOC of 17.9%... I like the GT velocity much more than the Blackout Envy X5, but those are the only 2 arrows I have experience with. Like I said I'm a novice, but I hope this helps in one way or another. :D

What problems are you having with your current arrow?

Several reasons I'm looking for a change.
1- I like the flexibility you get with the GT weight system. Easily adjust point weight to find what flies best from my setup.
2- Axis tolerance issues. From my last dozen I culled at least 3 arrows that just would not shoot a fixed broadhead no matter how I tried to tune the arrow. The others flew ok, but I expect better from a quality arrow.
3- With my setup, (7.8 FOC) broadhead flight was very touchy. Anything less than perfect form would throw arrows more than acceptable. It became apparent that my FOC was way too low. Going from a 100 gr head to 125 is a quick fix, but I have a bunch of 100 grainers so I didn't really want to switch tip weight. Either I buy arrows or broadheads, and because of the other reasons I was leaning toward arrows.
4- I experienced an arrow/broadhead failure last year. Shot a buck in the shoulder and the arrow/head broke right in front of the HIT insert, at the point where the ferrule is unsupported. Can't help but wonder if a fully supported ferrule would have survived. To be fair, I shot another buck in the shoulder a few years ago with an Axis and it did penetrate. The recovered buck (mature Iowa deer) was shot with a Steelforce Phathead, and the one that was wounded was shot with a Slick Trick. Don't want to go off on a broadhead tangent, but I can tell you Phatheads are tough.

So, not really wanting to do any major tuning so close to season opener I decided last night to strip some arrows and refletch. Went from wraps and AAE vanes to Blazers on a bare shaft. Also added 125 points. Those changes moved my FOC from 7.8 to 11.7% and bumped up my overall arrow weight by 10 gr, which is a good thing. I'll have to play with these arrows but I'm hopeful this setup will serve me well until next year when I have more time to try some new shafts.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back