Caribou Gear

Single Bevel Broadhead

ThunderNocked

Looking at getting into the Single Bevels - have a 70 pound 28.5" bow - getting ready to rebuild my arrows as I just switched everything up.
Looking at the local shop they have the Helix Single Bevel 125 grains and Iron Will - obviously price would lean towards Helix but I know there are other options. Kudu, Cuthroat, etc.
Looking at trying to get around the 450-500 grain mark and single bevel with a helical fletch.
I'll see if I can get the tools to do it all myself other than than the local shop.

I really wanted to go with Cutthroat but wasn't sure.
I want to get something that I can get reliably. There was a local shop that used to push a certain Broadhead (OCD Bloodtherapy) but when they shut down nobody else has heard of them. I want something I can reliably replace. Was considering going to a G5 or something easy to find but really like the idea of a Single Bevel - I'm a knife guy and I like the idea of being able to sharpen and strop my broadheads as part of my build and maintenance.
Cutthroat and then Ironwill were my first two thoughts but then they carry Helix in my local shop. Considering them - Kudu there is not a dealer in the state of Alaska.

I want to get something that I can get reliably. There was a local shop that used to push a certain Broadhead (OCD Bloodtherapy) but when they shut down nobody else has heard of them. I want something I can reliably replace. Was considering going to a G5 or something easy to find but really like the idea of a Single Bevel - I'm a knife guy and I like the idea of being able to sharpen and strop my broadheads as part of my build and maintenance.
Cutthroat and then Ironwill were my first two thoughts but then they carry Helix in my local shop. Considering them - Kudu there is not a dealer in the state of Alaska.
I think you can order straight from kudu if need be.

Looking at getting into the Single Bevels - have a 70 pound 28.5" bow - getting ready to rebuild my arrows as I just switched everything up.
Looking at the local shop they have the Helix Single Bevel 125 grains and Iron Will - obviously price would lean towards Helix but I know there are other options. Kudu, Cuthroat, etc.
Looking at trying to get around the 450-500 grain mark and single bevel with a helical fletch.
I'll see if I can get the tools to do it all myself other than than the local shop.
I switched to the Cutthroat this year and really like the way they fly and hit. Expensive but I think will be worth it over time. While I didn’t kill an animal with them they sure wreaked havoc on my target!

i am a kudo guy (150 contour+) i like there flight and seem quiet. Kill elk dead but kind of hard to sharpen first few times till you get hang of it. They are not perfect, have chipped few wingtips off but for the $ i am very happy. Somewhere in search we talked about this before with pics i believe.

Went to cutthroat this year…shooting 600grn total arrow/200grn broadhead, 55lb recurve, 160fps…zipped rt through the whitetail buck (Texas small 100llb dressed) hard quartering high last ribs to in front of low opposite shoulder… really pleased… w flight, blood trail, and “sturdiness”
Hopefully have some reports on pigs this offseason

I lost all faith in archery about the time I started using cutthroats. But much of my complaints are with single bevels in general.

Curious as to why? I’ve just started using em n any advice for/against is much appreciated
They're significantly more difficult to tune. They're more prone to errors in your form caused by less than ideal shooting conditions, and with just one cut (as opposed to a 3 or 4 blade pattern) I speculate it's easier to seal up and not leave a good blood trail. I did not see an improvement in penetration.

I lost all faith in archery about the time I started using cutthroats. But much of my complaints are with single bevels in general.
They're significantly more difficult to tune. They're more prone to errors in your form caused by less than ideal shooting conditions, and with just one cut (as opposed to a 3 or 4 blade pattern) I speculate it's easier to seal up and not leave a good blood trail. I did not see an improvement in penetration.
“Speculate”? Explain please. I enjoy a good dialogue and breakdown with facts and actual experience.

“Speculate”? Explain please. I enjoy a good dialogue and breakdown with facts and actual experience.
Spectaculate. I have 1st person accounts of 3 critters not bleeding, after being hit in what appeared to be good close shots. Because none of those three were found it's difficult to say anything with any certainty. This was a stark departure from previous years with multiple different styles of 3 or 4 blade results. Also no passthroughs with the single bevels. Maybe it was just 3 very crappy shots, but that's a helluva coincidence

Spectaculate. I have 1st person accounts of 3 critters not bleeding, after being hit in what appeared to be good close shots. Because none of those three were found it's difficult to say anything with any certainty. This was a stark departure from previous years with multiple different styles of 3 or 4 blade results. Also no passthroughs with the single bevels. Maybe it was just 3 very crappy shots, but that's a helluva coincidence
I need some context to what you describe. What sort of critters specifically? Distance of shot? What are the specs of the bow & arrow used? Shot placement?

Sorry for all of the questions but more is involved and I am trying to see your experience through your descriptions to help me understand better. By no means arguing or looking for trouble just an analytical perspective with tangible facts.

I need some context to what you describe. What sort of critters specifically? Distance of shot? What are the specs of the bow & arrow used? Shot placement?

Sorry for all of the questions but more is involved and I am trying to see your experience through your descriptions to help me understand better. By no means arguing or looking for trouble just an analytical perspective with tangible facts.
It really doesn't matter, because there are just as many accounts the other way. But all were elk in situations and with equipment that has killed plenty of elk before.

It really boils down to my archery experience being pretty good, but with a couple of disappointing results, then listening to some podcasts gushing about the wonders of single bevel, making the switch and struggling with them and ultimately having really bad results in the field.

Last edited:
I lost a Caribou this year - thought it was a good hit - fixed blade broadhead with 4 blades.
Arrow passed through. Followed blood trail.
Blood stopped after 70 yards and we followed the herd and never saw him again.
I had killed a moose with the same broadhead a few years prior.

But I know that I'm changing broadheads because of a variety of reasons.

Interesting on the harder to tune. I'll have to look into that for sure.

I’ve used them and have never had any issues getting them to fly good. I’m shooting a relatively heavy arrow pretty slow so I think that helps my cause. I find them easy to sharpen but I don’t see any real benefit to them. The rotation through a target is noticeable but I’m not sure it helps much. If I was going to start over, I would lean more towards a larger 3 blade or two blade with bleeders with a good quality steel. I’ve had animals tip over in sight with a two blade but anymore I want a little more cut

I’ve used them and have never had any issues getting them to fly good. I’m shooting a relatively heavy arrow pretty slow so I think that helps my cause. I find them easy to sharpen but I don’t see any real benefit to them. The rotation through a target is noticeable but I’m not sure it helps much. If I was going to start over, I would lean more towards a larger 3 blade or two blade with bleeders with a good quality steel. I’ve had animals tip over in sight with a two blade but anymore I want a little more cut
how heavy? Because I tried that too.

I agree, if I ever decide to pick up a bow again, I'll go back to a montec style fixed 3 blade.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back